Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:24 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
so yesterday was local elections day and I must say that the choice of candidates was very poor for the district council elections in my ward

the results though were a large loss of seats for the Tories with labour losing a third of their seats and the lib Dems getting 3 (up from zero) and the Green party getting 4 (up from zero) but the biggest increase was independents who are now the second largest group.

I think this might be a positive thing locally as for years and years the Tories have followed a policy of removing business and commercial property and replacing it with housing and nothing but so we are short of Schools, Doctors, Dentists, Car Mechanics and no Waste/recycling facilities. I am hoping a policy of looking after the needs of those already here might follow rather than one of pursuing population growth at all cost.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:09 pm 

edders23 wrote:
so yesterday was local elections day and I must say that the choice of candidates was very poor for the district council elections in my ward

the results though were a large loss of seats for the Tories with labour losing a third of their seats and the lib Dems getting 3 (up from zero) and the Green party getting 4 (up from zero) but the biggest increase was independents who are now the second largest group.

I think this might be a positive thing locally as for years and years the Tories have followed a policy of removing business and commercial property and replacing it with housing and nothing but so we are short of Schools, Doctors, Dentists, Car Mechanics and no Waste/recycling facilities. I am hoping a policy of looking after the needs of those already here might follow rather than one of pursuing population growth at all cost.

Who in their right mind and who has to work for a living would have voted Green often enough to give 4 of them an ego trip to menace.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:35 pm 

I can't ever remember Rutland being anything other than tory, but the lib Dems are now the largest party with 11 and the conservatives only third largest albeit the lib dems don't have an overall majority

One thing that is noteworthy is that the turnout was one of the lowest on record

maybe a sign that the public are getting fed up with many of the career politicians looking after their own interests not their constituents.

perhaps it's time for a radical overhaul of the entire uk political system

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:36 pm 

Things didn't go quite according to plan here. My wife and I were standing as Independents in the ward that I was already one of the standing Councillors. We managed to get 24 independent candidates to stand for the 28 seats. My seat used to be a safe Labour seat so in the present situation it was no surprise that the 2 labour chaps got in quite easy. But with the results in the other wards we managed to get 10 Independents elected and with the several Labour and other winners the Council has changed from a very strong tory council to no overall control.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:38 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I can't ever remember Rutland being anything other than tory, but the lib Dems are now the largest party with 11 and the conservatives only third largest albeit the lib dems don't have an overall majority

One thing that is noteworthy is that the turnout was one of the lowest on record

maybe a sign that the public are getting fed up with many of the career politicians looking after their own interests not their constituents.

Rutland changed a couple of years ago following a mass resignation of Conservatives, the same as here in Melton. The local Rutland and Melton Conservative party has become very toxic.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:47 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Rutland changed a couple of years ago following a mass resignation of Conservatives, the same as here in Melton. The local Rutland and Melton Conservative party has become very toxic.[/quote]

I suspect that has been reflected across the country I think many people in politics nowadays seem to be intolerant of the idea of a broad church encompassing many view points

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:57 pm 

The Tories have taken a right hammering in Sussex.

But to some, the best result has been the bursting of the Green bubble in B&H.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2350452 ... at-labour/

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:
The Tories have taken a right hammering in Sussex.

But to some, the best result has been the bursting of the Green bubble in B&H.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2350452 ... at-labour/

nationally the greens did quite well picking up over 240 and a council in east Anglia

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:10 pm 

Quote:
nationally the greens did quite well picking up over 240 and a council in east Anglia

Sadly they are now the leading group on Lewes District Council. :sad:

But I doubt they will be as nutty as the B&H version. Thank f***.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:20 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Sadly they are now the leading group on Lewes District Council. :sad:

But I doubt they will be as nutty as the B&H version. Thank f***.

famous last words ! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:43 pm 

Lewes is a very rural area, always having a high proportion of Liberals.

So the Greens of Lewes will be the hippy type, rather than the raving looney lefty student type Greens of B&H.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:33 pm 

So the Tories gave regained control of SKDC by persuading some of the independents to form a coalition with them. I wonder if a similar thing will happen in other local councils where there was no overall control.

SO in the end the Tories have still won in our district

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:20 am 

edders23 wrote:
So the Tories gave regained control of SKDC by persuading some of the independents to form a coalition with them. I wonder if a similar thing will happen in other local councils where there was no overall control.

SO in the end the Tories have still won in our district

They are trying this in Melton but so far they havent managed it. None of the independents wants to be the leader of the Council at the moment so it could be that Labour with 5 Councillors could be in control with the help of the Independents.