Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: B.Right-on in B&H
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:40 pm 

Interesting comment piece about B&H politics in the Speccie. By the, er, uncompromising Julie Burchill :-o

Some interesting stuff about some of the councillors. Sounds about right :roll:

And also slagging off the Argus - who'd have expected someone like Julie Burchill to have a pop at the local rag :lol:

But a lot of the stuff below could just about be applied anywhere =D>

As for Eddie Izzard, or 'Suzy' as we should call them... :roll:

Brighton says ‘no’ to Eddie Izzard

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/bri ... ie-izzard/

‘If there’s one thing Eddie Izzard can’t be faulted on, it’s enthusiasm,’ Steerpike opined this week on the news that the comedian and actor, who also self-identifies as Suzy, is standing to become the Labour candidate for Brighton Pavilion – only a year after trying, and failing, to do so in Sheffield Central. There’s been a few raised eyebrows in my adopted hometown of Brighton & Hove (so good they named it twice) about the fact that Her Ladyship (I’m not going to call Izzard Her, but I don’t mind going that extra mile, as befits such an expensively-educated type) has promised grandly to make Brighton their ‘main home’ – get you – if they’re chosen as the candidate for Bright-Pav.

There have been some amusingly contemptuous online comments from readers of our local paper on the subject too, though you have to move quickly to read the best ones as the Argus is trigger-happy when it comes to deleting cheeky comments about Izzard. ‘This comment has been removed because it breaks our rules’ repeats with the weariness of a stale comedian’s punchline. One gets the distinct feeling that the Argus, often mocked for being able to come up with hilariously boring headlines in what is such a ‘lively’ city, is looking forward to the day that their drearily domesticated front-page news can be jazzed up with a little showbiz razzamatazz; MP FOR BRIGHTON PAVILION SUZY IZZARD GETS STILETTO STUCK IN NEGLECTED PAVEMENT or MP FOR BRIGHTON PAVILION SUZY IZZARD GOES A-OVER-T ON UNCOLLECTED RUBBISH.

What’s left are thoroughly understandable complaints about ‘parachuted candidates’ which is understandable here as Brighton has ‘previous’ with this sort of thing. We’ve just had a local scandal which saw two councillors expelled from the Labour party over claims they live more than 200 miles away, while last year two Green councillors, Tom Druitt and Alex Phillips – who do at least have a home in Brighton – stood down after it was revealed they’d spent lockdown in their French chateau rather than slum it with their suffering seaside constituents. Could it be that in a city which prizes ‘fluid’ identities, all four of these happy wanderers ‘identified’ as Brightonians? Honestly, what sort of bigot wouldn’t accept them as such, standing in their truth as spiritual members of the non-postcodey LGB&H community?

So yes, we may be even more keen than most voters to know that those who seek to represent us live amongst us; as an Argus commentator put it: ‘No one on the ticket worth voting for really – a musician, a clown and some ghost politicians. Were any of these actually born here? Why is it so hard for Labour to run a candidate in Brighton from Brighton – they struggle to even get their councillors to reside here.’

The musician in question is Tom Gray of the indie-landfill band Gomez, with whom he was a one-time winner of the Mercury Prize and in his own right winner of last year’s Music Producers Guild Unsung Hero award for his work in making sure that non-famous musicians get their fair share of streaming royalties. He is endorsed by trade unions, including the giant Unison, and by Feargal Sharkey, the perilously-voiced ex-Undertone crooner; another supporter, chairman of Brighton and Hove Young Labour, Tom Chatfield, couldn’t resist pointing out that Gray ‘knows the constituency extremely well and is dedicated to the local community.’ (Yes, we get it: he actually lives here.) Izzard, on the other hand, is supported by eight Labour councillors – which is preferable only to being supported by nine Labour councillors in the jaundiced eyes of my fellow Hovians and Brightonians – and by the manager of Southampton Football Club, surely something of an ‘own goal’ in a city where fealty to our local team, the Seagulls, borders on para-sexual obsession. Oh, and Izzard should probably keep it quiet that he is a big fan of Crystal Palace, Brighton’s fiercest rival

But we are surely naive to pillory Izzard for this recent attempted land grab; it’s what he does. Living elsewhere and arrogantly presuming you understand the problems of Brighton positively reeks of humility compared to growing up as an extremely privileged man and then believing that you can expect to be accepted as a woman as you seesaw between ‘girl mode’ and ‘boy mode’. Some might say that no one ever went broke overestimating the sheer molten nuttiness of Brightonians, but the election of this flaming exhibitionist and egoist would be unlikely even in the madhouse which I am proud to call home.

Izzard is the proud owner of two Emmys but showbusiness seems to hold no lure for the seasoned thespian, and he has become a glutton for political punishment. Not only was Them rejected as Labour candidate in Sheffield last year but before that ran unsuccessfully for the party’s National Executive Committee not once but twice; in 2017, They campaigned for Jeremy Corbyn, surely putting the final nail in Magic Grandpa’s coffin by opining that the scowling Steptoe-lookalike ‘believes in what he says.’ As Steerpike cheekily concluded ‘Who knows better about winning than good old Eddie, whose past triumphs include Yes2AV, Remain, euro membership and Andy Burnham’s leadership campaign?’ Best wake up, little Suzy, as the Everly Brothers once sang – you can be as Woke as you want, but you’re still not welcome here in B.Right-on.

Post subject: Re: B.Right-on in B&H
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:07 pm 

I'm really not a fan of politicians being parachuted in, it says to me that there are no local politicians up to the job, and we do have a number of really good local councillors down here.

Ms Izzard is from Hastings, or at least they grew up down there, and a f***ing Crystal Palace fan, so other than being a chancer I'm not sure what they add to the party.

What is being alluded to in the article is that two Labour councillors who won their seats in May were chosen by Labour HQ, not by local members, but it seems not everyone was truthful as they both live in Leicester FFS.

In defence of Labour HQ the local B&H Labour party are experts at selecting anti-Semitic candidates, so something did need doing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:21 am 

Sussex wrote:
I'm really not a fan of politicians being parachuted in, it says to me that there are no local politicians up to the job, and we do have a number of really good local councillors down here.

Ms Izzard is from Hastings, or at least they grew up down there, and a f***ing Crystal Palace fan, so other than being a chancer I'm not sure what they add to the party.

What is being alluded to in the article is that two Labour councillors who won their seats in May were chosen by Labour HQ, not by local members, but it seems not everyone was truthful as they both live in Leicester FFS.

In defence of Labour HQ the local B&H Labour party are experts at selecting anti-Semitic candidates, so something did need doing.

“They?” Are you saying there’s more than one of them? Oh, mercy!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:33 am 

When I say they I do so with the utmost pi** take.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:05 pm 

Poor old Suzy...er, I mean Eddie, er... #-o

This is brutal from Brendan O’Neill in Spiked Online, though.

If you're into trans rights etc then you might be triggered by this :-o

Face it, Eddie, no one wants you as their MP

https://www.spiked-online.com/2023/12/1 ... -their-mp/

Izzard's failed campaign to represent Brighton has exposed the narcissism of trans politics.

Comedian, actor and fella in a dress Eddie Izzard has failed, once again, to be selected as a Labour candidate. This time it was the Brighton Labour Party that said ‘No thanks, dude’. Izzard had hoped to nab Brighton Pavilion in next year’s General Election after its long-serving MP, Caroline Lucas of the Greens, steps down. But local Labourites weren’t having it. Mate, when even Brighton rejects your advances – this city that’s so woke the local council once flirted with the idea of ditching the titles Mr and Mrs to avoid offending trans folk – surely it’s time to hang up the comedy boobs and do something else instead.

This is the second time Izzard has been spurned as a parliamentary candidate for Labour. Last year, it was Sheffield party members who decided they didn’t fancy being represented by a 61-year-old comic who says he seesaws between girl mode and boy mode. ‘Suzy’ – as Eddie also identifies – is unlikely to give up his dream of a seat in the Commons. ‘I’m going to push and push until I become an MP’, he told Lorraine Kelly earlier this year, like Veruca Salt in a red rosette. His fantasy of being Britain’s first trans MP was shattered, though, after big Tory lad Jamie Wallis came out as trans last year, shortly after the media reported that he fled a car crash in a black leather mini skirt and high-heel shoes before being discovered by the cops, naked and smeared in make-up. So ladylike.

There will be many reasons Brighton Labour said no to Eddie. One, surely, is that he might not even be available for campaigning were a General Election to be called early next year. Darling, he’ll be doing Hamlet in New York. Fear not, Brightonians – ‘I’ll campaign via Zoom’, said a headline in Brighton and Hove News, reporting on Izzard’s plan to engage with voters ‘via phonebanks [and] Zoom calls’. You’ve heard of ‘parachuting in’ party candidates – Izzard would have been something even worse: a candidate who couldn’t be arsed to parachute in.

There’s also the issue of why Izzard wanted to be MP for Brighton. Sure, he speaks in the big, windy, pseudo-progressive lingo beloved of soft-left luvvies. ‘Together, we can champion dignity, respect and equality for all’ yada yada. And yet much of his campaign was insanely me, me, me. Representing Brighton ‘would be the culmination of a lifelong journey’, he said, as if the city were mere fodder for a future memoir. My life has been full of ‘extraordinary chapters’, he said – bully for you – but being your MP ‘would be the most profound yet’. Brightonians, ask not what your MP can do for you, but what you can do for your MP’s fat ego.

Izzard’s failed run seemed to be more about validation of the self than representation of the masses. His candidacy would have been one in the eye to the ‘Tory culture wars’, he said, in which ‘trans people’ like him are ‘unjustly belittled’. This was about flattering his identity, wasn’t it? It was politics as therapy, with voters reduced to mere masseurs of their aspiring MP’s fragile sense of self. Identity politics warps the democratic relationship, so that it’s no longer about them representing us but about us slavishly waving pom-poms as some vain identitarian completes his ‘lifelong journey’ to parliament or womanhood or whatever. Izzard let slip the neo-aristocratic nature of the new politics when he said he has long used his ‘global profile’ for ‘positive change’ and now he wants to use it to ‘elevate Brighton Pavilion’s profile’. Brighton, let St Suzy lift you up from your Z-list obscurity! Let this celebrated luvvie shine the light of his fame into your oblivion! It’s a mystery why Brightonians rejected such a chivalrous offer of patronage…

Might there be other reasons, too, why some Labour folk don’t want Izzard? This is a sexagenerian bloke who says he wants to be ‘based in girl mode’ from now on. That’s a tad weird, no? This is a man who goes into women’s bathrooms. This is a dude who in his own memoir confessed to shouting at teenage girls who asked him why he was in their loo. ‘Hey, mister!… Why are you dressed as a woman?’, they asked. Good question. Izzard decided to ‘confront’ his ‘teenage inquisitors’. He ‘shouted’ at them, at which point they ‘screamed and ran off’. Look, I try never to judge a politician by his personal life. But if there was a bloke standing in my constituency who’d once used a women’s WC and scared off literal minors who challenged him, I wouldn’t vote for him. If you’re willing to take liberties with the privacy of girls, what else might you take liberties with?

This cuts to the heart of the problem with Izzard-style politics. Eddie says one thing and does another. He goes on about ‘dignity’, but what about the dignity of women who would rather not see a man with fake breasts in their bathrooms? He blathers on about ‘equality’, but what about a woman’s equal right to privacy?

Men who claim to be women are parading around in women’s changing rooms with their knobs out – that doesn’t sound like equality to me, it sounds like flashing. What we used to call indecent exposure we now call ‘trans rights’. Would Izzard’s trumpeted commitment to dignity include defending the dignity of women who don’t want to see a shrivelled dick at the gym?

I think people baulk at the idea of Suzy Izzard MP not because they’re ‘transphobic’, but because they have an old-fashioned commitment to decency and truth. Men up and down the country know you never set foot in the women’s loo. In pubs across the land there will be legions of men who are falling-down drunk but who still understand the women’s bathroom is off-limits. It grates against these people’s sense of honour, their respect for the boundaries of everyday life, to see someone like Izzard queuing up to [edited by admin] in a women’s bathroom. Do we really want someone who so flagrantly violates social norms representing society?

Then there’s the idea that Izzard is a woman. A she / her. A ‘girl’ – God help us. Sorry, no. He was born male and he will die male. Every cell in his body is a dude’s. The media might be willing to lie about Mr Izzard. ‘Eddie Izzard has failed in her bid to become a Labour candidate’, reports the BBC. Where’s BBC Verify when you need it? But the rest of us aren’t. The woke elites underestimate at their peril how horrified people are by their Orwellian insistence that this man is a woman. Literally a woman. So obviously a woman that any real woman who dares to say he isn’t a woman will be branded a TERF (newspeak for ‘witch’) and cancelled into oblivion. No dignity or equality for those heretical harridans. Izzard scepticism is driven in part by people’s instinctive, democratic reluctance to go along with the misogynistic lie that a bad wig and plastic tits turn a man into a woman.

This is about what we expect from our representatives. We expect them to adhere to social decorum, listen to people’s concerns, speak truthfully and honestly. The trans ideology does the opposite to all that. It rides roughshod over social standards, elevating the narcissistic needs of men in dresses over the rights of women and girls. It ignores and even demonises those sections of the populace that know what sex is. And it sacrifices truth at the altar of a delusional ideology that says sex can be changed. Izzard, I’m afraid, reminds people of all this, that wokeness is in truth a threat to dignity and equality. And so they say No. Good luck with Hamlet though, dude.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:53 pm 

Quote:
Face it, Eddie, no one wants you as their MP

It's a valid point.

In my view, he/she/they have nothing to add to the party, other than being famous and someone who some find funny. That's not what the good folks of Brighton Pavillion want IMO.

They want an MP who will be there every Friday/Saturday in person to deal with their concerns, not some luvvie who will prance about on the world stage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:45 pm 

Not a good loser in my view. [-(

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/202 ... ns-people/

Can't believe he/she/they is saying about the good folks of B&H who are, in the main, the most tolerant folks on this planet.