Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: O.F.T
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:58 am 
Chris wrote:
As it stands at the moment, thanks to everyones opinions on this debate, i
feel i have an idea where the trade will be in five to ten years time.But it is my veiw and like everybody else it is JUST my opinion and in all honesty nobody is for sure where the trade is ultimately going.
What i ask is why can't we have two KNOWLEDGE tests.One for Private hire who are in contact with a radio if lost and then an harder test for Hackneys who might not have the help of a radio.If we had proper knowledge tests what percentage of drivers do you know would actually get off their buts and work hard enough to pass a test. This would prevent the trade from being flooded with drivers.
Of course this won't happen but there ya go,i'd still like your opinions on this though.

chris mate,
for the first time in four decades our industry is in decline, give it another decade and we as a trade will be gone.
I dont know exactly where you are comming from but let me tell you satelite navigation gets better by the week.

chris will you be in the trade in a decade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:00 am 
Sussex wrote:
Well I'm up for a fight. :shock:

Sat Nav maybe something that could effect us, but treating one side of the trade as [edited by admin] will be the ultimate down-fall of this trade.

exactly! now youve seen the lite you will stop treating your superiors like [edited by admin]?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:34 pm 

I don't have superiors, but on the other side of the trade there are a number of inferiors.

Not in terms of status, but in terms of suitability to be in this trade in the first place. :wink:

Post subject: derestriction
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:14 pm 

it appears to me that the only way that local authorities can be forced to derestrict is if the government repeal section 16 of the transport act,however if they did and then las were over subscribed with hackneys how would they then go about lowering the n0 of taxis given that section 16 had been repealed,for example take both liverpool and leicester which did remove the restriction only to reapply it when the streets were clogged up with taxis, so it would appear to me that each council would have to be left to prove via unmet demand surveys that the n0 of hackneys working satisfied both the drivers and punters

Post subject: Re: derestriction
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:16 pm 

cab happy wrote:
how would they then go about lowering the n0 of taxis given that section 16 had been repealed,for example take both liverpool and leicester which did remove the restriction only to reapply it when the streets were clogged up with taxis

Quite easy, just improve the standards of vehicles and drivers.

The good old smoke doesn't have number restrictions, and they tell me they are the best. :wink: