Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:31 pm 
OFT statement on Government response to taxis report

The OFT welcomes the Government's strong encouragement to all local authorities who still restrict taxi numbers to lift quantity restrictions as soon as possible.

The supply of good quality taxi services should be free to respond to what people want, not restricted by regulation. The evidence clearly shows that the public is better served in unrestricted areas.

Rather than secure de-restriction for all, as the OFT report recommended, the Government is encouraging it locally. The OFT will support that process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:52 pm 
Yeah right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:08 pm 

A very in-depth comment there Nigel. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:56 pm 
Isnt their statement back tracking a bit and just saving face.
Scanner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:13 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Isnt their statement back tracking a bit and just saving face.
Scanner

Well Scanner,
First of all may I congratultate those who ran the campaign against oft findings including the lobby, I hope you will find what you want.

As for myself I was dissaponted with the lack of real change in the oft, can I please leave the select committe report, in that the MPs were looking at an inadequate report in the first place.

But now my Comments to a dear friend of mine Bradford Mp Gerry sutcliffe, Gerry and I have sat on many committees together in the past and I admire his rise in Government,

Having got there Gerry, I did expect you to display radical thought and radical actions, we know only to well Gerry, that to leave this to Local Authorities is a hell of a cop out, and you will know that you have swept this under the carpet.

Local Authorities will continue as now (Salford for example has always restricted by number and never had an independent report)
We will see not, more authorities falling to open markets, but more restricting by number, and though mentioning it wont be welcomed the City of lONDON LIMITING BY NUMBERS IN THE FUTURE

We had an ideal chance to have an excelent system and a single code where all was needed to get a taxi was to walk to the garden gate.

Gerry that is in tatters, not only for now but a generation to come what the hell were you playing at? has government now stopped to work up to the General Election? this is madness!

how the hell could you say what complementary things you did about OFT then kick them in the teeth and say its not our pidgeon?

Gerry when we meet again you can buy the drinks and after this lot mine in a large one!

Wonder what John in Manchester thinks?

from this tommorow is the first day of the rest of our lives.

For me personally its a defeat and a bad one at that and I conceade so, we had a right to expect so much more, Regulatory Reform promised us so.

Geoff