Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:13 am 
Ok then, the OFT report is due out within the next week. The government then have 90 days to respond. The OFT will reccomend that licensing powers are removed from local authority control and that new agencies are set up to control taxi licensing. As the OFT have made recomendations that will ultimatly cost local government massive ammounts of revenue it is unlikely that they will move to quickly as if they decide to implement the proposals they will meet with the same stern opposition as they did with their Regulatory Reform proposals some time ago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:38 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Ok then, the OFT report is due out within the next week. The government then have 90 days to respond. The OFT will reccomend that licensing powers are removed from local authority control and that new agencies are set up to control taxi licensing. As the OFT have made recomendations that will ultimatly cost local government massive ammounts of revenue it is unlikely that they will move to quickly as if they decide to implement the proposals they will meet with the same stern opposition as they did with their Regulatory Reform proposals some time ago.

well its timely local authorities are complaining about recruiting new officials to license drinking dens if las lose taxis now it will be a blessing and will in the long term cause no problems.

but I think its wishfull thinking.

Wharfie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:50 am 

Anonymous wrote:

Which will save millions in pointless bureaucracy. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:01 pm 

Interesting.

That would be a major change, but by no means unexpected.

Any word on the actual licensing policies??

Dusty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:11 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
as if they decide to implement the proposals they will meet with the same stern opposition as they did with their Regulatory Reform proposals some time ago.

Well they met no 'stern' opposition from those living in the past over the RRA, unless of course you believe what you hear from the T&G.

The RRA recommendations where confirmed in the Budget Speech, they were the precursor to the OFT Study. So if anything the 'stern' opposition from those dwelling in the past, have only persuaded those looking to the future to change things.

So thank you very much. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:35 pm 
Oh Sh1te, the PCO running all of us.

Interesting times ahead.

Next problem, the power of the powerful. Lobbyists representing those in the Dark Ages will be well paid to ensure the lights stay out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:08 am 

I think that if Offtaxi or whatever is set up, then the aim will be to take licensing away from elected politicians and thus be less susceptible to lobbyists and vested interests, Tom.

After all, councillors, as politicians, can't really act independently, since they tend to avoid taking decisions that will upset the vested interests, and of course there's the question of nepotism and corruption, not to mention that they are professionally ill-equipped to make decisions of this kind.

Economic regulators are normally independent of the political process, we don't have councillors deciding the price of stamps, electricity prices, and major decisions involving the railways, and it does not need spelling out why. But there are properly qualified and independent economic regulators who do so.

Same with TfL/PCO, elected Mayor Ken is the head of TfL, isn't he?

Of course, there is a good recent precedent with the taxi regulator/tsar in Ireland.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:09 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
I think that if Offtaxi or whatever is set up, then the aim will be to take licensing away from elected politicians and thus be less susceptible to lobbyists and vested interests, Tom.

After all, councillors, as politicians, can't really act independently, since they tend to avoid taking decisions that will upset the vested interests, and of course there's the question of nepotism and corruption, not to mention that they are professionally ill-equipped to make decisions of this kind.

Economic regulators are normally independent of the political process, we don't have councillors deciding the price of stamps, electricity prices, and major decisions involving the railways, and it does not need spelling out why. But there are properly qualified and independent economic regulators who do so.

Same with TfL/PCO, elected Mayor Ken is the head of TfL, isn't he?

Of course, there is a good recent precedent with the taxi regulator/tsar in Ireland.

Dusty

Dusty,
With all due respect you are very ill informed, niave or both, whatever is set up will be run by politicians.

this whisper is a shot in the dark, but I do wish people who pretended to represent the taxi trade like mick, understood its workings.

how many times has he to be told that a council can only levy fees to cover expenses?

yet he insists that his council do so to levy more money to ofset rates.

they must [edited by admin] themselves at Gateshead town hall, after all its not thier job to educate him, T and G CANNOT GET THROUGH HIS GREY MATTER
and I am sick of trying too.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:25 am 
Sorry Wharfie I cannot remember posting within this thread so why do you refer to your boring usual stance of trying to be clever by calling me names. I believe you should grow up.

Maybe you shouldn't come up here after all Wharfie, maybe I'll just pop down there.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:44 am 
Mick wrote:
Sorry Wharfie I cannot remember posting within this thread so why do you refer to your boring usual stance of trying to be clever by calling me names. I believe you should grow up.

Maybe you shouldn't come up here after all Wharfie, maybe I'll just pop down there.

B. Lucky :twisted:

whatever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:56 am 

Wharfie wrote:
Dusty,
With all due respect you are very ill informed, niave or both, whatever is set up will be run by politicians.

Well, yes, the practice doesn't always accord with the theory, but I think it would be better than the current set up.

In any case even the theory assumes that parliament is sovereign, so ultimately you are correct, regulators are run by politicians, that's the unfortunate price of democracy!!!

Anyway, we had this exact same discussion a week or two ago, and I knew you would reply in those terms :)

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:19 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Well, yes, the practice doesn't always accord with the theory, but I think it would be better than the current set up.

Dusty

Well the Ombudsman is independent, the Water, Rail, Telecoms, Gas, Electricity etc etc regulators are all independent.

So why not Oftaxi? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:06 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Ok then, the OFT report is due out within the next week.

So it must be tomorrow. :shock:

It being Halloween, is that a bad omen?

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:27 pm 

Andy sits waiting for the OFT report. His eyes are getting heavier. His head nods once or twice, as he resurfaces to consciousness. In a minute, in a minute" he says to himself. He clicks the "Refresh" button on the OFT website. "Dratt. Still nothing" he whispers to himself. His eyelids close once more. His head droops. he collapses across his keyb***** h,jjaf.ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccsfz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:45 pm 

I had a feeling that it might be on a Friday, actually :)

The only two OFT announcements in the last year or so that I can recall making the TV news were both on a Friday, IIRC.

Those were the pharmacy investigation outcome, and the soccer shirts price-fixing cartel.

So maybe they make the bigger announcements on Fridays.

Probably only a coincidence, but who knows?

Dusty