Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:25 pm 
Now im not that happy with the idea of delimit. But if they keep the satndards and dont let all the dregs get licenses then hopefully it will not be too drastic.
In 2010 we are all going to have wheelchair taxis so that should get rid of the oldies to the PH trade.
So we might get more from the PH trade at first but in time many will go back.
Hopefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:53 am 
The simple fact of the matter is that we should look to rid a select few who constantly look for ways of making money through driver exploitation. Mr Rowland, maybe you would like to make everyone clear as to your position with Taxibank, also I would like to ask you how you can join the NPHA as in my area the association is un-democratically chaired by the owner of the largest P/H fleet and only available to drivers who work through his circuit. When you were contacted some time ago with referance the same situation you failed to take any action whatsoever, insisting that the branch in my area was open to everyone, even after you were provided with evidence to prove it wasn't. All of these associations, unions and co-operatives are only interested in themselves and their own financial security so to join any one of them would encourage parasites clinging to the backs of the hard working driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:08 am 
Anonymous wrote:
The simple fact of the matter is that we should look to rid a select few who constantly look for ways of making money through driver exploitation. Mr Rowland, maybe you would like to make everyone clear as to your position with Taxibank, also I would like to ask you how you can join the NPHA as in my area the association is un-democratically chaired by the owner of the largest P/H fleet and only available to drivers who work through his circuit. When you were contacted some time ago with referance the same situation you failed to take any action whatsoever, insisting that the branch in my area was open to everyone, even after you were provided with evidence to prove it wasn't. All of these associations, unions and co-operatives are only interested in themselves and their own financial security so to join any one of them would encourage parasites clinging to the backs of the hard working driver.

gee whizz are you seriously saying that associations co-operatives, and unions are only interested in themselves? for christ sake thats why they were formed.

sometimes you get some right crap on these forums!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:04 am 

You may well get some crap on these forum, but where would you express your views otherwise?

Take the issue of LTI i.e. how dear they are, the lack of basic safety features etc etc.

Where in the trade press to you see criticism of of these points?

What does that say about the phrase 'he who pays the piper, picks the tune'?

There is however one trade press that doesn't follow the shabby lead of the others, and that is the 'Taxi' from the LTDA.

And guess what? LTI never advertise in it. :(

Strange that !!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:59 pm 
The Tories tried to dregulate 10 years ago but were pegged back by the T&G. Whats to say Labour aren't going to do the same????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:25 pm 

I thought it was the predecessor of the National Taxi Federation, that has claimed that one. :?

To me it's a done deal in England and Wales. Scotland may be a little different, but we will just have to wait and see. :wink:

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:08 pm 
Alex wrote:
I thought it was the predecessor of the National Taxi Federation, that has claimed that one. :?

To me it's a done deal in England and Wales. Scotland may be a little different, but we will just have to wait and see. :wink:

Alex

Far from a done deal far from. Like I said it got kicked out 10 years ago when the blues tried to bring it in, it will get kicked out again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:30 pm 
Nidge wrote:
The Tories tried to dregulate 10 years ago but were pegged back by the T&G. Whats to say Labour aren't going to do the same????

The Tories DID deregulate. It was called the 1985 Transport ACt.

They never tried to deregulate taxis though. They just ignored us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:32 pm 

Nigel please tell your colleagues in the T&G to read some of Mr McNulty's comments about unions, and how out of date they are.

Alex is spot on, a done deal. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:06 pm 
I have to say i agree with Nidge.

I see it as far from a done deal. Getting the legislation through is going to be far harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:12 pm 
I only have problems with total annonymity when the person behind it launches a personal attack.

I pay an annual subscription to Bryan and his association. The support and advice I receive from him and Donna is excellent value.

I object to his being unconstructively criticised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:43 pm 

I'm pleased you get help from the NPHA.

However I believe the hierarchy to be very clicquey. If you are part of the gang then you are always right, if you are not part of the gang, then you will never be.

The bit that the guest mentions about not being able to join the gang, despite the adverts in PHM, also rings true in my experience.

A local PH association tried twice to register, and was never allowed in. That local association was at logger heads with a gang member, thus was deemed not to be fit. Even though in my opinion the gang member was in the wrong.

Admmittedly this was many years ago, and hopefully things have changed. But I still believe that the NPHA is a bosses association, and they are welcomed to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:59 pm 

I agree with Tom, I don't really think we wish to discuss the inns and outs of a paticular person.

His point of view can, and is, discussed to death.

I mean, I really look forward to all those stabbings and beatings every month. :(

It's no wonder that there is a shortage of drivers UK wide, when they (or their family and friends) read 'all about it'.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:02 am 

Tom Thumb wrote:
I have to say i agree with Nidge.

I see it as far from a done deal. Getting the legislation through is going to be far harder.

Do you meant politically or procedurally Tom?

As regards de-limitation, all the Govt have to do is pass a Regulatory Reform Order under the Regulatory Reform Act, and this is a lot less cumbersome than normal legislation, after all that was what the Act was enacted for - to streamline procdures for deregulation and be able to do it without a full blown Act of Parliament.

As I said a week or two ago, the cynic in me thinks that's why the OFT effectively endorsed the status quo - it's easy to implement what they recommended - if they'd recommended root and branch reform then this would have needed a full Act of Parliament, and it would not have been easy to fit such an Act in.

Politically, you and Nidge may be correct, it may be a tough nut to crack, and Labour MPs are more inclined to rebel these days, but I think the Labour leadership will go for it, and the Tories will vote with them since the report obviously portrayed quotas as anti-consumer.

To that extent it's a pity the OFT report was so consumer oriented, since the 'decent living' argument from the T&G et al will still have some resonance with some MPs.

It's a pity the OFT didn't highlight the likes of Dundee, for example, which is in no ones interests except those that happen to hold plates at the moment.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:21 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
Nigel please tell your colleagues in the T&G to read some of Mr McNulty's comments about unions, and how out of date they are.

Alex is spot on, a done deal. :D

Andy, this OFT report will never get passed, the report itself is out of date. The report was done by a dozen or so office workers with clip boards who know nothing about the trade.

Our Council is not going to deregulate, the licensing officer came out on Friday and said everything is staying the same, it's up to each individual Council what they do, if this RRO gets passed which it won't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next