Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:22 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Not as confident as you are in wrecking the H/C trade though Sussex.

An interesting comment.

I want all licensed drivers to have the same opportunities, and that means wrecking the HC trade. :?

There will be no H/C trade, and there will be no P/H trade either.

Outside of our town and city centres cowboys will take over and the unlicenced "minicab" mentality will take over.

By your own admission everyone will go and work the ranks where they are busiest, leaving the offices massively short of cars and the ranks flooded. Clearing the town and city centres on a weekend is what you consider most important, however your bread and butter trade will be massively let down because of your "I can make more money elsewhere" mentality and they will look for alternatives. You are to cencerned with yourself SM and not concerned enough about the consumer. P/H was licensed for a very good reason, and it is because of that reason that they will remain.

I want all licensed drivers to make money, I want licensed drivers to hold the power, I want licensed drivers to get the better deals.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:15 am 

Anonymous wrote:

By your own admission everyone will go and work the ranks where they are busiest, leaving the offices massively short of cars and the ranks flooded. Clearing the town and city centres on a weekend is what you consider most important, however your bread and butter trade will be massively let down because of your "I can make more money elsewhere" mentality and they will look for alternatives. You are to cencerned with yourself SM and not concerned enough about the consumer. P/H was licensed for a very good reason, and it is because of that reason that they will remain.

PHs were licensed solely to make sure that drivers and vehicles were checked, not to justify taxis quotas.

Taxis were licensed to take people from A to B via a number of ways, not to create a dodgy cartel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:04 am 
Anonymous wrote:

What? Like the T&G advice did at Watford?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:03 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
PHs were licensed solely to make sure that drivers and vehicles were checked, not to justify taxis quotas.

So if P/H were SOLELY licensed to make sure that drivers and vehicles were checked, people MUST have been driving vehicles that weren't.

That is why P/H will remain, that is why London is licensing P/H and that is why we will never see a single tier system.

A councils ability to control numbers of H/C licenses is not in place to protect the livlihoods of those who hold a plate.

The simple fact of the matter is that you very possibly earn a very good living with your P/H, but you want a H/C so that you can desert your office, let down your bread and butter punters, but hey who gives a stuff, as long as you make an extra tenner a night who cares. Well all I can say is you'll need that extra tenner to make up for the money you'll loose when your bread and butter punters go elsewhere through the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:13 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Thats very amusing though SM, particularly when you yourself had so much confidence in the OFT reccomending so much that they failed to deliver.

Your loyalty is un-questionable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:20 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

And what advice was that then?? Do you mean when the lads joined of before?? You sound just like old Sussex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:22 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:

So if P/H were SOLELY licensed to make sure that drivers and vehicles were checked, people MUST have been driving vehicles that weren't.

That is why P/H will remain, that is why London is licensing P/H and that is why we will never see a single tier system.

A councils ability to control numbers of H/C licenses is not in place to protect the livlihoods of those who hold a plate.

The simple fact of the matter is that you very possibly earn a very good living with your P/H, but you want a H/C so that you can desert your office, let down your bread and butter punters, but hey who gives a stuff, as long as you make an extra tenner a night who cares. Well all I can say is you'll need that extra tenner to make up for the money you'll loose when your bread and butter punters go elsewhere through the week.

He don't work night he's always on here, mind you come to think of it he don't work days either the man is a solicitor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:53 pm 
Arthur Scargill Marchant hey sussex he was my hero unlike you. I'd have liked to see you in the miners strike 20 years ago I bet you'd have scabbed, F**K you Jack I'm alright. Nice name by the way infact I love it Sussex keep it up old boy 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Aurther Scargill we'll support you ever more 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Got front row seats when he comes to Mansfield in April 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:30 pm 

Anonymous wrote:

Why else do you think the 1976 Mis Act, and the 1998 London PH Act, were bought into being? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:34 pm 

Anonymous wrote:

I've always been of the opinion that the one tier system is never going to happen.

As I have said a thousand times, I couldn't care less if there was one, two, or a hundred and two tiers. All that matters to me is that none of them are restricted by numbers.

Standards yes, numbers no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:36 pm 

Anonymous wrote:

Really. :shock:

And what other reason is there? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:44 pm 

Anonymous wrote:

What, you mean I'm no-longer a solicitor? :wink:

Whether I want to make an extra tenner, or if I need to make an extra tenner, is my decision, nobody else's.

However if I do get my plate, I will do exactly what I want to do with it, as does the existing taxi trade, and as will everyone who benefits by the ending of the quotas.

It's called being self-employed, and your own boss. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:49 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Thats very amusing though SM, particularly when you yourself had so much confidence in the OFT reccomending so much that they failed to deliver.

Not everyone who posts on TDO is SM.

I think you are getting confused with Nigel on TTF2. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:04 pm 
Arthur Scargill wrote:
Got front row seats when he comes to Mansfield in April 8) 8) 8)

maybe you can ask him where all the pension money went.

didn't see him go hungry during the strike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:11 pm 
£300 million went to the Tories, £200 million went back into the fund. 5 years ago £1.1 billion was put aside to pay Vibration white finger, phnumoconiosis/ Bronchitis empysema. The pension fund currently stands at I think £3 billion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next