Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:21 pm 
I think my council B&H should be (hopefully) partly OK.
The last survey was a couple of years ago. But they took no notice of customers comments in the final add up.
But if the government ask for a specific case to keep them. Then that could case a big problem. Not one of the customers i have asked has said they would object to more taxis. :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:39 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Gotcha Sussex!

you are wrong! plate values as a test in unmet demand is in circular 3/85 the notes to the 85 act

Thank you Mr Wharfie, or should I say Noel Edmonds. :shock:

However I don't think I was wrong, because what the 1985 circular said was that quotas were undesirable. What Mr Cope's letter said, is that high plate premiums are evidence of SUD.

A giant step forward in my opinion. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:26 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Gotcha Sussex!

you are wrong! plate values as a test in unmet demand is in circular 3/85 the notes to the 85 act

Thank you Mr Wharfie, or should I say Noel Edmonds. :shock:

However I don't think I was wrong, because what the 1985 circular said was that quotas were undesirable. What Mr Cope's letter said, is that high plate premiums are evidence of SUD.

A giant step forward in my opinion. :D

Sorry Sussex,

section 27 says
"District councils may wish to review thier policy on the control of taxi numbers in the light of this section. Limitations of taxi numbers can have many undesirable effects- an insufficiency of taxis, either generally or at particular times or in particular places ; insufficient competition between the providers of taxi services to the detriment of thier customers and prices for the transfer of taxi licenses rom one person to another which imply an artificial restriction in supply................."

take a look it aint new, Cope is on old law not new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:15 am 
Cgull wrote:
The last survey was a couple of years ago. But they took no notice of customers comments in the final add up.
But if the government ask for a specific case to keep them. Then that could case a big problem. Not one of the customers i have asked has said they would object to more taxis. :sad:

B&H have been hailed by the minister as an example of how the issue should be tackled, I will find his statement and post it in a bit.

B. Lucky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:23 am 
Anonymous wrote:
take a look it aint new, Cope is on old law not new.

There has been no Law changes, so he couldn't be refering to new law cause there isn't any.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:37 am 
Anonymous wrote:
But at least all will be able to meet those standards.

With quotas no-matter how stiff the standards are, new entrants wont have the chance to be able to meet them.

The point is that not all of us will be able to meet even those standards.

The criteria I showed would allow more leeches as they can afford, or get finance for new vehicles, particularly if they needed to be changed for a new one even every 10 years.

The DSA teat and vocational traing would also stop people entering the trade, although it would make the trade more professional it would exclude some with a desire to drive HC.

I'm not saying that councils should have such criteria, what I am saying though is that people could still find themselves unable to have a HC because of financial restraints, as the current plate premiums in a lot of places are still less than the cost of a Purpose Built.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:54 am 
Cgull wrote:

Here's the quote Cgull, from .The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport Mr. Tony McNulty.

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 24 Jun 2004

We shall send a letter
to all local authorities and, without wishing to pre-empt Brighton and Hove, I
should think that, given the detailed work that was conducted last year on a
managed growth strategy and the amount of local detail in it, the Government
would not seek to change the position that prevailed under it after the survey
of unmet demand. Brighton and Hove's strategy appears exemplary and something
that we would request of all local authorities that would like to retain
quantity controls.

Mr Mc Nulty then added

So we already have a disaggregated market, rather than the pure market that, if
I were being less than kind, I might say that the OFT report seemed to suggest
that we had. We are very comfortable with the notion that things should stay
local. We have already written to all authorities that have restrictions in
place, not to ask them to justify their position—"justify" is the wrong word—but
simply to substantiate why carrying on having restrictions is appropriate. If
they are anything like Brighton and Hove, they will be able to answer that
question in very short order.

All seems pretty clear to me, if you want to restrict look to B&H as the proper way to do it.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:07 am 

Anonymous wrote:
B&H have been hailed by the minister as an example of how the issue should be tackled, I will find his statement and post it in a bit.

Which just shows what the minister knows.

One bloke waits 26 year, no notice taken of latent demand, and customer and police requests for more taxis ignored. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:13 am 

Anonymous wrote:
The point is that not all of us will be able to meet even those standards.

Why not?
Anonymous wrote:
The criteria I showed would allow more leeches as they can afford, or get finance for new vehicles, particularly if they needed to be changed for a new one even every 10 years.

But that's what you are supporting at the moment.
Anonymous wrote:
The DSA teat and vocational traing would also stop people entering the trade, although it would make the trade more professional it would exclude some with a desire to drive HC.

I can't quite work out why you support restrictions, but not standards, and why you bemoan the fact that the trade has too many drivers, and then complain that it's hard to become one.
Anonymous wrote:
what I am saying though is that people could still find themselves unable to have a HC because of financial restraints, as the current plate premiums in a lot of places are still less than the cost of a Purpose Built.

But surely the best people to decide which option they take, is those people themselves. Not you or the T&G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:23 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Cgull wrote:

Here's the quote Cgull, from .The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport Mr. Tony McNulty.

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 24 Jun 2004

We shall send a letter
to all local authorities and, without wishing to pre-empt Brighton and Hove, I
should think that, given the detailed work that was conducted last year on a
managed growth strategy and the amount of local detail in it, the Government
would not seek to change the position that prevailed under it after the survey
of unmet demand. Brighton and Hove's strategy appears exemplary and something
that we would request of all local authorities that would like to retain
quantity controls.

Mr Mc Nulty then added

So we already have a disaggregated market, rather than the pure market that, if
I were being less than kind, I might say that the OFT report seemed to suggest
that we had. We are very comfortable with the notion that things should stay
local. We have already written to all authorities that have restrictions in
place, not to ask them to justify their position—"justify" is the wrong word—but
simply to substantiate why carrying on having restrictions is appropriate. If
they are anything like Brighton and Hove, they will be able to answer that
question in very short order.

All seems pretty clear to me, if you want to restrict look to B&H as the proper way to do it.

B. Lucky
ssssa

at long last

we are all going to get our very own cartel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:33 am 
Sussex wrote:
Which just shows what the minister knows.

The thing is SM, that it is to the Minister that councils must report!!

I also would like to point out that I support standards fully, what I don't support is your conclusion that paying £30k+ for a WAV is OK but paying £30k for a plate is not when it comes to entering the trade.

Maybe your lucky and can obtain the finance to buy a new WAV, but I know a lot of blokes up here that can't. They don't have to worry though cause there are people who are willing and able to invest in more than one vehicle then rent out the vehicles they don't use themselves.

Now I might be wrong here SM but don't you hate these people more than you hate HC plateholders.

I offered an example criteria which would restrict the number of vehicles, I didn't say that the criteria is one that I would suggest just a possibility of what a council could suggest.

I find it completely true to form that you wouldn't agree with the Minister, after all he doesn't promise you a plate.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:51 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
The thing is SM, that it is to the Minister that councils must report!!

Which is a bonus. Now the minister will be able to see exactly what's happening, not what the T&G and the Cartel tell their local MP is happening.

The truth will out. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:56 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
I also would like to point out that I support standards fully, what I don't support is your conclusion that paying £30k+ for a WAV is OK but paying £30k for a plate is not when it comes to entering the trade.

You could well be right, it's just that I believe it's down to individuals to decide for themselves.

If they think it's too expensive, then it's too expensive. If they don't, then they don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:58 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Maybe your lucky and can obtain the finance to buy a new WAV, but I know a lot of blokes up here that can't. They don't have to worry though cause there are people who are willing and able to invest in more than one vehicle then rent out the vehicles they don't use themselves.

Now that is a great case for de-limitation on the basis of saloon vehicles, not a case for quotas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:01 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Now I might be wrong here SM but don't you hate these people more than you hate HC plateholders.

I dislike people who take out of the trade, without putting anything into it, on the back of quotas.
Anonymous wrote:
I find it completely true to form that you wouldn't agree with the Minister, after all he doesn't promise you a plate.

I will always disagree with stupid statements, made by stupid people. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next