Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:52 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
your campaign for salloons is disgusting self interest when you know whats around the corner.

I'm not campaining for saloons MY COUNCIL ARE.

I want restrictions on both licence types in order to protect the trade from the SINGLE TIER MY COUNCIL WANT.

I don't want the council to adopt a policy where they will be open to legal challenge YET AGAIN, by maintaining their restrictive policy with regard the saloon plates, I believe they will see their policy legally challenged and am not convinced they will even properly defend it.

Yet again posts are responded to without being read properly, hatred overtakes and the personal attacks are mounted.

People call me upside down some even call me a failure without any knowledge of my current position. If having a nice 525 TDS next to the wifes new Micra on the drive, with my new bike in the garage, an extention to my house starting next year, 2 holidays paid for over the next 9 months and a new business set to make a nice tidy profit in the first year, is considered to be a failure then so be it.

RAOTFLMFHO

Earning that much moonlighting?

you just love yourself

good luck with the extension, and dont leave the cars outside, that was the beginning of your troubles.

what a laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:05 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
People call me upside down some even call me a failure without any knowledge of my current position. If having a nice 525 TDS next to the wifes new Micra on the drive, with my new bike in the garage, an extention to my house starting next year, 2 holidays paid for over the next 9 months and a new business set to make a nice tidy profit in the first year, is considered to be a failure then so be it.

And here was some of us thinking you were permanently on the poverty line!!!!!

You should maybe give Frankie a few tips - was it £26 an hour rather than the £2.60 in the paper?

Anyway, Gateshead can't be quite as bad as people make out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:06 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:

And here was some of us thinking you were permanently on the poverty line!!!!!

You should maybe give Frankie a few tips - was it £26 an hour rather than the £2.60 in the paper?

Anyway, Gateshead can't be quite as bad as people make out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:27 am 
You lot really are a bunch of insecure ba$tards worried constantly that someone is getting more than you, typical PH drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:43 am 
You seem to be confusing our insecurity with the consistently misleading nature of your comments.

It's always me, me, me, and more, more, more.

Perhaps you should be grateful for what you've got, which millions in this country would be grateful for, and wouldn't try to make out that they're near poverty stricken.

As for the PH driver jibe, wrong as usual, but then you should know - you've been everything when it suits you, but don't like others choosing what they want to do.

Why weren't you bragging about your cars, holidays, extension etc when you were threatening to blockade Gateshead so you could have some more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:23 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
I also take exeption to being refered to as a "know it all" when on countless occasions I have confessed to not knowing it all and being in a position where I learn something new every day. The only person who "contibutes" to this site who has little to say about anything but me, the Yorkshire Spoon, is the ONLY person who teaches me nothing.

The label was directed towards the author of that informative and scholarly post commencing "Who writes this drivel" and finishing "ar$eholes". If that is you then the labels 'opinionated' and 'know it all' do not seem inappropriate.

After all, if the writer can completely ignore the substantive points made in the article and then do nothing more than throw abuse about then it's ironic that they can call the article author opinionated and a know it all - the labels are surely better directed towards the accuser?

Indeed, the response was also ignorant, arrogant and complacent.

Instead, why not try to address a couple of the substantive points made in the article? Whatever side of the argument you are on, surely you would admit that there is a lot of confusion and contradiction in various statements being made.

1 . Why did Pete Kavanagh say:

"...Tony McNulty went to great lengths in explaining that the Government has no problems whatsoever with restrictions policies."

When in earlier statements the Govt had said:

"The Government agrees that consumers should enjoy the benefits of competition in the taxi market and considers that it is detrimental to those seeking entry to a market if it is restricted. The Government is therefore strongly encouraging all those local authorities who still maintain quantity restrictions to remove restrictions as soon as possible."

"The Government...considers that it is detrimental to to those seeking entry to a market (in this case would-be taxi license holders) if it restricted without justification that is apparent to all."

"The Government considers that it is wrong in principle to restrict entry into a market and refuse a taxi license to those who can meet all the local requirements to hold such a license."

2 How do you reconcile the DfT's statement:

"For example, if your understanding of (unofficial) taxi plate values in your district is that they are high, this would seem to indicate that there is significant unmet demand for taxis in your area."

with the no unmet demand and £50,000 plate premiums found in Woking, and the £40,000 premiums in Brighton after plates issued that in theory should get rid of any unmet demand. Ditto Manchester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:43 pm 
Problem Reaction Solution.

It goes all around the houses

Background.
The government has served notices on all the big councils to move to a solution of Wheelchair accessible vehicles.
The councils can do this in anyway they wish, no prescription of only London Type cabs.

Problem from Gatehead Member
to help some disabled we need more saloon type vehicles.(it also helps his cause they are cheeper to buy and run.

Reaction.
campaign for saloons, but its pointed out there is this little ditty from the government comming up, why not campaign for back loading wheelchairs so for ever more you can have the vehicles you need for other disablities.
"oh you cant do that they are dangerous" "safety safety safety"
"drivers here have to back up to the pavement"

Solution
only salloons will do the government dont allow this so Gatehead are condemed to the very vehicles he says wont do.

painted in a corner, abuse the solution provider, go buy a couple of cars and invent an extension to his house that symbolises success.

well thats very pretty and good

but still our man from Gatehead has lost the debate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:47 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
You seem to be confusing our insecurity with the consistently misleading nature of your comments.

I don't think so, your interpretation of what the government has said is evident as you still quote "following the OFT report" when quite clearly the OFT delivered nothing what so ever, governments still maintain that councils decide number policies a policy they had before the OFT investigation. You jump onto phrases like "must justify a restrictive policy" when all the council has to do is to state that their policy is, they believe, in the best interest of the people of the borough.
Recent stories of people being granted drivers licenses by the courts, overuling the Licensing Dept should serve as a warning that we are suseptable to greater number of legal challenges and therefore policy should reflect the publics interest, not the interest of any PH driver or Operator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:11 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Why weren't you bragging about your cars, holidays, extension etc when you were threatening to blockade Gateshead so you could have some more?

What I have now has not came from taxis ! 8) !

When did I threaten to blockade Gateshead ??

So I could have more what ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:28 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Problem Reaction Solution.

It goes all around the houses

Background.
The government has served notices on all the big councils to move to a solution of Wheelchair accessible vehicles.
The councils can do this in anyway they wish, no prescription of only London Type cabs.

Problem from Gatehead Member
to help some disabled we need more saloon type vehicles.(it also helps his cause they are cheeper to buy and run.

Reaction.
campaign for saloons, but its pointed out there is this little ditty from the government comming up, why not campaign for back loading wheelchairs so for ever more you can have the vehicles you need for other disablities.
"oh you cant do that they are dangerous" "safety safety safety"
"drivers here have to back up to the pavement"

Solution
only salloons will do the government dont allow this so Gatehead are condemed to the very vehicles he says wont do.

painted in a corner, abuse the solution provider, go buy a couple of cars and invent an extension to his house that symbolises success.

well thats very pretty and good

but still our man from Gatehead has lost the debate.

The problem isn't as straight forward as your post suggests.

Firstly the government "suggested and recommended" all councils look to remove quantative restrictions, if they believed that unmet demand was having an effect on the public. AT NO POINT DID THEY SUGGEST OR RECOMMEND THAT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE VEHICLES SHOULD BE THE ONLY VEHICLES LICENSED AFTER DEREGULATION OF NUMBERS.
Your "background" comment is therefore completely inaccurate.

The "problem for Gateshead member" is again completely wrong. The disabled groups have called for saloon vehicles as not all WAVs are accessible to those who suffer disabilities which don't confine people to a wheelchair. Of course they want to maintain current levels of WAVs as well as ensuring that new licenses are granted to WAVs. What concerns me is that Gateshead Council are maintaining a restrictive policy on the saloon plates which could be legally challenged as the same council doesn't have a limit on the number of WAVs and justifies that policy by claiming unmet demand. We therefore, called upon the council to adopt a temporary suspension on the issuance of all HC licenses, and through a policy of managed growth only allow new licenses to be granted if they were WAVs. Regular unmet demand surveys should be held and licenses issued as recommended by the results of that survey, these new licenses we believe should include a small percentage of saloon vehicles in order to properly provide for the needs of the whole community.

On the issue of safe vehicles, at no point did I say that drivers on the rank had to reverse onto the pavement to pick up wheelchair users, I simply pointed out that at almost every ATC or special need school facilities are provided to allow rear loading WAVs to back up to the pavement, this point was made to counteract argument the Yorkshire Spoon made about Council's own WAVs being rear loading. Ranking facilities don't allow this so passengers in wheelchairs must be pushed onto the road in order to board the vehicle.
Then there is the issue of travelling safely and possible entrapment should the vehicle be involved in a rear end shunt, accident statistics published by the DfT show minor collisions within urban areas where a vehicle runs into the back of another account for over 70% of all collisions. I whitnessed a converted VW Sharan back onto a post just the other day, the driver jumped out to inspect the damage and he couldn't open the rear door, the post had hit the vehicle just off centre and the mechanism had jammed. I learned today that the vehicle had to have the rear interior panel removed in order to release the locking mechanism, something which would have been near impossible had there been a wheelchair user in the vehicle, luckily this time there wasn't.
A large number of vehicles are safe to use, professional converters provide safe vehicles where the wheelchair passengers board and alight the vehicles from the path as well as allowing an alternative exit for the passenger and their wheelchairs to be taken safely from the vehicle should one of the doors be jammed following an accident. Again the Yorkshire Spoon suggested that vehicles didn't have to comply with any safety checks as the actual wheelchairs weren't crash tested, however I believe that new legislation should be clear and a minimum safety standard should be set, European Whole Body type approval is achievable by many of the professional converters but they aren't willing to spend the money. The Yorkshire Spoon suggested that I check PHM to see adverts for M1 specification Doblos, I have just done so and can't find a singel one.

Finally I have bought no cars, my business has. What I have achieved away from the trade was questioned, "he's back on the taxis so his business must have failed" is the asumption whereas the reality is that that I came back into the trade to make some extra cash to finance the planning and applications for my extention, as I no longer drink it makes sence for me to work and make money while others are, not that what I do has got anything to do with anyone on here, there is no way of proving that I am or I'm not to you lot, unless you ask VOLVOMAN what he see's on my drive every day when he passes my house.

I stand by my statement that everyone on here is envious of those who have but don't want to do the work or invest the money to get what it is they want, they constantly attempt to back up argument with weak outdated statements and never accept opposing argument, I think the word is biggoted. Then as a final insult to a person of even average intelligence, they try to suggest that it is the opposing viewholder who is making all the outrageous statements as well as passing inaccurate information, well all I can say is that I have proved the Yorkshire Spoon as well as others have done exactly that on more than one occasion. I have never argued against peoples rights of opinion, although I get the feeling there is a objection from some on the fact that I can enjoy the same right to voice mine.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:38 am 
Mick,
its a fact that Gatehead council, indeed all metropolitain councils have been served with notices to go all WAV nothing to do with the oft report at all.

seccondaly I do not give a toss about your extension or what you have on your drive nor am I envious.

just interested that this rich bloke is leading a group of unfortunates when he knows [edited by admin] all whats going on.

they have to try and make a living on this trade whilst you muck about with thier futures

you did lose the debate on here you have yet to win one, you lose because you know [edited by admin] all.

if your buisness is sucessful all well and good [edited by admin] off and run it and leave this trade to people who need to make a living from it.

because while you are in it people in gatehead are spending all day running into on another according to you

it realy is unbelievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:14 am 
Yorkshire Spoon wrote:
its a fact that Gatehead council, indeed all metropolitain councils have been served with notices to go all WAV nothing to do with the oft report at all.

All councils have been served notices before Spoon, we still don't have all WAVs and we never will because stupid people like you don't understand that not everyone with a disability is in a [edited by admin] wheelchair and their demands are as valid as a wheelchair user when it comes to being discrininated against when it comes to any form of public transport. Mixed fleets are what is called for even in the [edited by admin] DDA with an adequate provision for WAVs, good god do you not read these things or talk to the various disabled groups.

Yorkshire Spoon wrote:
they have to try and make a living on this trade whilst you muck about with thier futures

You fool, you arrogant fool. Countless times I have told you that the members decide upon what action THEIR branch takes, I DON'T DECIDE THEY [edited by admin] DO.

The funny thing is that Gateshead Drivers have been asking their representatives to do what they ask for years, its only recently that we have been delivering exactly what they want. Incidentally in a lot of cases the members demand things that I don't personally agree with but unlike previous representation I don't ignore their calls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:30 am 
youve delivered nothing Mick, you bannered on here that you would get this that an tother then bood when you failed yet again.

and you will continue to fail because you cant deliver, you dont know your job as a shop steward, you dont know the rules, you dont know how your council works, and you have no backing and you call me a fool?

Quite simply you behave like an idiot, do I talk to disabled groups you say, my god

YOU COULDNT GIVE A TOSS ABOUT THE DISABLED!

you mick are still in the nursery.

I say stick to the job that gives you extensions and cars in the drive stop bugering about with the trade there is enough wreckage around you.

its buggers like you tampering thats made gatehead what it is, it now needs a leader, not a ruddy errand boy for tospots who know as little as you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:38 am 
Yorkshire Spoon wrote:
its buggers like you tampering thats made gatehead what it is, it now needs a leader, not a ruddy errand boy for tospots who know as little as you.

Its buggers like me getting involved with the trade that is putting the power back in the hands of the drivers mate. Gateshead is in a state, not because of me but because people allowed it before I got involved. Its not a case of me failing sonny because I do what the members want me to do, I don't fear failure nor rejection simply because things need to be said and I'm the only man in Gateshead who is willing to say it.
You call me an errand boy for people who know as little as me, well I guess you've cancelled your membership then, or are you refering to our members as tosspots, not a nice way to address brother trade unionists.

It is worthy of note that when we first got involved the total paid up membership of the previous association was under 25. Due to the efforts of a great many people the membership rose to well over 100, members were asking for things to be done, an EGM was called but not regognised by the chair as un-constitutional. At the next AGM the association was disbanded, the union branch was then formed.

Now our biggest objector is not the local authority, but people within the trade who wish to be recognised themselves as the largest voice, even though the same voices ban their drivers from being members of the union, by constantly claiming that drivers must consider where their loyalties lie. They demand loyalty to their PH offices when the drivers loyalties should be to themselves and their families.

Power to the people.

Yours Citizen Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:44 am 
Yorkshire Spoon wrote:
YOU COULDNT GIVE A TOSS ABOUT THE DISABLED!

Yeah yeah,
Thats why I pushed the previous association ito forming an office primarily to supply taxis to the disabled community.
Thats why I dedicate some of my time to assisting local disabled groups, paticularly sporting events and activities.

You know [edited by admin] all about me you spoon, you are of no consequence a nobody with a heart full of revenge toward someone who dared question you, oh and rightly banned you from a website.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next