Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:48 am 
Yorkshire Spoon wrote:
and you will continue to fail because you cant deliver, you dont know your job as a shop steward, you dont know the rules, you dont know how your council works, and you have no backing and you call me a fool?

Oh but we can deliver spoon, I do know my job and my responsibilities I have good teachers, I don't know your rules, I know more than to well how my council "works" and what its fears are, I have more than adequate backing thank you very much and yes because you accept what one person tells you, you are a fool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:04 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Firstly the government "suggested and recommended" all councils look to remove quantative restrictions, if they believed that unmet demand was having an effect on the public. AT NO POINT DID THEY SUGGEST OR RECOMMEND THAT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE VEHICLES SHOULD BE THE ONLY VEHICLES LICENSED AFTER DEREGULATION OF NUMBERS.
Your "background" comment is therefore completely inaccurate.

What do you think the 2010-2020 compulsory WAV publication from the DfT, just prior to OFT was all about then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:46 am 
Quote:
What do you think the 2010-2020 compulsory WAV publication from the DfT, just prior to OFT was all about then?

What DfT publication was that then, I think you'll find the publication was the DDA and I think you'll find that the compulsory order for WAVs is itself discrimanative and currently being reviewed in order to properly make provision for people with all disabilities.

Our application to Gateshead Council was to ensure that through Managed Growth, adequate provision is available to every person whatever their disability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:38 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
On the issue of safe vehicles, at no point did I say that drivers on the rank had to reverse onto the pavement to pick up wheelchair users, I simply pointed out that at almost every ATC or special need school facilities are provided to allow rear loading WAVs to back up to the pavement, this point was made to counteract argument the Yorkshire Spoon made about Council's own WAVs being rear loading. Ranking facilities don't allow this so passengers in wheelchairs must be pushed onto the road in order to board the vehicle.

I don't think I have ever seen an ambulance or a PSV minibus, ever reverse onto the pavement to pick up a WAV customer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:43 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
What DfT publication was that then, I think you'll find the publication was the DDA and I think you'll find that the compulsory order for WAVs is itself discrimanative and currently being reviewed in order to properly make provision for people with all disabilities.

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/ddafp.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:15 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Quote:

Our application to Gateshead Council was to ensure that through Managed Growth, adequate provision is available to every person whatever their disability.

as a trade union leader you should know the basic, alas you dont.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:19 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Yorkshire Spoon wrote:
its buggers like you tampering thats made gatehead what it is, it now needs a leader, not a ruddy errand boy for tospots who know as little as you.

Its buggers like me getting involved with the trade that is putting the power back in the hands of the drivers mate. Gateshead is in a state, not because of me but because people allowed it before I got involved. Its not a case of me failing sonny because I do what the members want me to do, I don't fear failure nor rejection simply because things need to be said and I'm the only man in Gateshead who is willing to say it.
You call me an errand boy for people who know as little as me, well I guess you've cancelled your membership then, or are you refering to our members as tosspots, not a nice way to address brother trade unionists.

It is worthy of note that when we first got involved the total paid up membership of the previous association was under 25. Due to the efforts of a great many people the membership rose to well over 100, members were asking for things to be done, an EGM was called but not regognised by the chair as un-constitutional. At the next AGM the association was disbanded, the union branch was then formed.

Now our biggest objector is not the local authority, but people within the trade who wish to be recognised themselves as the largest voice, even though the same voices ban their drivers from being members of the union, by constantly claiming that drivers must consider where their loyalties lie. They demand loyalty to their PH offices when the drivers loyalties should be to themselves and their families.

Power to the people.

Yours Citizen Smith
+

cancelled my membership?
you dont represent me, you never will represent me

and you dont represent my union either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:27 pm 
Sussex wrote:
I don't think I have ever seen an ambulance or a PSV minibus, ever reverse onto the pavement to pick up a WAV customer.

An ambulance is a emergency vehicle equipped with a multitude of warning devices to warn other motorists.

A PSV minibus will not drop passengers from the rear of the vehicle on a busy road, the majority are also manned by two people. The general statement you gave isn't accurate to what I have seen, community transport dropping off at the Metrocentre have a special parking bay where the driver must reverse to the pavement, this is as well as every ATC and special needs school as well as every public place must have proper facilities for WAVs, its contained within the DDA.

Its like banging your head against a brick wall.

Why would I lie about these things, you don't have them yet so it can't possibly happen anywhere else, total nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:22 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
An ambulance is a emergency vehicle equipped with a multitude of warning devices to warn other motorists.

The majority of WAV people using ambulances don't use them in an emergency, they use them for out-patients appointments. They park exactly the same way as WAV taxis.
Anonymous wrote:
A PSV minibus will not drop passengers from the rear of the vehicle on a busy road, the majority are also manned by two people.

I can't believe I'm the only person to ever see this happening all the time.
Anonymous wrote:
The general statement you gave isn't accurate to what I have seen, community transport dropping off at the Metrocentre have a special parking bay where the driver must reverse to the pavement, this is as well as every ATC and special needs school as well as every public place must have proper facilities for WAVs, its contained within the DDA.

That might be right, and they have proper drop off areas at the centre. But do you really think they have proper pick-up areas in all the places where they pick up WAV customers, because they don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:53 pm 
Sussex wrote:
The majority of WAV people using ambulances don't use them in an emergency, they use them for out-patients appointments. They park exactly the same way as WAV taxis.

Community Transport/Ambulances never ever rank up Sussex, WAV taxis do. In Gateshead they do because the majority have side door loading facilities. My untrust with these vehicles starts and ends with passenger safety, passengers in saloon rear seats often slide accross from the pavement side as they know its safer to do that than to walk onto the road.
Sussex wrote:
That might be right, and they have proper drop off areas at the centre. But do you really think they have proper pick-up areas in all the places where they pick up WAV customers, because they don't.

Well its funny you should say that, although its not common place at the moment, some disabled people who live on main roads have a disabled parking area clearly marked on the road outside their house.

People can argue driver choice, they can argue on purchase and maintainance costs but surely the question of safety should be paramount. I have checked the literature from all the main converters, they all would prefer to supply only side loading WAVs, their argument for supplying a Doblo is down to driver demand for a cheap WAV to obtain a free plate in deregulated areas with manadory WAV policy on new licenses.

Its such a shame that it will take theories to be tested on these vehicles before something is done about ensuring safety. Remember the Police used to tell you to stay in your car if it broke down on the motorway, they now tell you to get out of it, I wonder why that is!

Come on people think a little here, for all of you who already have a rear loader I just hope that its not your vehicle in which someone dies because you couldn't get them out, as it seems it is only following such an incident that people will see the dangers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:01 am 
how pompos can you get Mick?

get off your high horse!

SAFETY?

The wrecks you tell us about in your patch?

our local authority has bought 4 wavs. all backloading by tail lift, all to be plated as taxis.

though Mick on our roads when a vehicle is parked drivers pull out in good time

dont set yourself up as a safety expert, all your other expertise has been regected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:10 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
Community Transport/Ambulances never ever rank up Sussex, WAV taxis do. In Gateshead they do because the majority have side door loading facilities.

Of course it would be better if customers were side-loaded from rank based vehicles, but I don't think it's too much to ask a vehicle in front to move forward a yard or two. Also I wonder exactly what percentage of WAV customers use ranks?

But we are only talking here about loading, I thought your problem was customer safety during transit. In that case then all hospital and social service work that doesn't use a TX must be un-safe.

If that was the case then I'm sure the disabled lobby would have shouted about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:31 am 
Sussex wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Community Transport/Ambulances never ever rank up Sussex, WAV taxis do. In Gateshead they do because the majority have side door loading facilities.

Of course it would be better if customers were side-loaded from rank based vehicles, but I don't think it's too much to ask a vehicle in front to move forward a yard or two. Also I wonder exactly what percentage of WAV customers use ranks?

But we are only talking here about loading, I thought your problem was customer safety during transit. In that case then all hospital and social service work that doesn't use a TX must be un-safe.

If that was the case then I'm sure the disabled lobby would have shouted about it.

exactly, an argument to suit the cause that will in future come back to haunt.

one day with this argument only tx2 and the like will be acceptable and the very saloon type that can deal with wider classification will be forbidden

it needs thinking through properly before the council are brainwashed and use the argument against us,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:39 am 
Anonymous wrote:
one day with this argument only tx2 and the like will be acceptable and the very saloon type that can deal with wider classification will be forbidden

The thing is there are some who think that all taxis should be TXs. Usaually those that gain advertising revenue from LTI. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:20 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Of course it would be better if customers were side-loaded from rank based vehicles, but I don't think it's too much to ask a vehicle in front to move forward a yard or two.

Sussex mate, saloon drivers up here won't move forward to let a WAV pull off the rank. The majority of WAV drivers therefore ensure that when they pull onto the rank they leave enough room to allow them to get off the rank without anyone moving for them.

Sussex wrote:
Also I wonder exactly what percentage of WAV customers use ranks?

I know of independant's who have not picked up a wheelchair customer for 2 years.
It shows possibly why PH should have been included in legislation to ensure a percentage of their available fleet is a WAV, it is just taken for granted that by destroying the HC trade all vehicles will be forced to work for current PH operators. This is something that they would want to see encouraged as they would collect more revenue through the fee they charge.

B. Lucky

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next