Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:05 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
I heard from a reasonably reliable source at the PHTM Exhibition at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry today that the DfT are, at the moment, looking at a 35% minimum WAV content as the proportion of Hackney fleets to satisfy the Equality Act.

If that becomes the eventual figure that would be far more reasonable than what has previously been quoted or guessed at.

We shall all have to wait & see.

I knew i saw it somewhere 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:13 pm 

That may have been the figure being considered by the powers that be back then and it may yet turn out to be correct.
They have had plenty of time to consider the matter since and may opt for a more Draconian approach - 50% or even more. Time will tell .
As a decision has not yet been announced ,it can at best be considered informed speculation. Certainly not gospel.

I do wish you luck. I think you will need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:50 pm 

gusmac wrote:
That may have been the figure being considered by the powers that be back then and it may yet turn out to be correct.
They have had plenty of time to consider the matter since and may opt for a more Draconian approach - 50% or even more. Time will tell .
As a decision has not yet been announced ,it can at best be considered informed speculation. Certainly not gospel.

It should be very interesting to see what percentages they actually come up with..... the first thing we will be asking them.. is what mechanism they have used to arrive at that percentage.... and also will it also mean that if a council is operating a 100 per cent wheelchair accessible fleet.... by their very logic.... will these councils have to allow saloon type vehicles, and if not, why not,........ for by this very advice.. they themselves will be discriminating against the disabled...... interesting days ahead...

And any council that is considering percentages at this time are way ahead of themselves :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:56 pm 

MR T wrote:
gusmac wrote:

It should be very interesting to see what percentages they actually come up with..... the first thing we will be asking them.. is what mechanism they have used to arrive at that percentage.... and also will it also mean that if a council is operating a 100 per cent wheelchair accessible fleet.... by their very logic.... will these councils have to allow saloon type vehicles, and if not, why not,........ for by this very advice.. they themselves will be discriminating against the disabled...... interesting days ahead...

And any council that is considering percentages at this time are way ahead of themselves :oops:

Still cannot see a fair way of sorting the have from the have nots, that is, the Wav from the non wav, the saloon car from the TX.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:02 pm 

jimbo wrote:
MR T wrote:
gusmac wrote:

Still cannot see a fair way of sorting the have from the have nots, that is, the Wav from the non wav, the saloon car from the TX.......

=D>

Dare I suggest allowing WAV's only access to certain ranks?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:56 pm 

jimbo wrote:

Not sure if it's fair or not, or to whom, but the way of doing it is pretty simple.

If you want a new plate in a restricted area, then if the % is low you license a WAV.

If the % is high, then you need not apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:40 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Last night a small debate took place dealing with mobile scooters.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/? ... 022#g795.3

Of particular interest are these comments from the minister. :-k

The hon. Gentleman raised the issue of taxis and wheelchair accessibility. Before long, I hope, we will announce our plans regarding the taxi sections of the Equality Act 2010 that have not yet commenced relating to wheelchair accessible vehicles. We have already taken preliminary action on driver training and we are also looking at the quota of taxis. We are giving local authorities incentives to increase the quota of wheelchair accessible taxis in their area, so we are already taking action to increase the number of such vehicles in local authority areas.

Would they not be better to give the Taxi owner an incentive rather than pay the council more to do their goverment dirty work?

does anyone know what these incentives are :?: our lo knows nothing about them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:27 pm 

lawman wrote:

Whatever they were, I very much doubt they will come to fruition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:36 pm 

lawman wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Last night a small debate took place dealing with mobile scooters.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/? ... 022#g795.3

Of particular interest are these comments from the minister. :-k

The hon. Gentleman raised the issue of taxis and wheelchair accessibility. Before long, I hope, we will announce our plans regarding the taxi sections of the Equality Act 2010 that have not yet commenced relating to wheelchair accessible vehicles. We have already taken preliminary action on driver training and we are also looking at the quota of taxis. We are giving local authorities incentives to increase the quota of wheelchair accessible taxis in their area, so we are already taking action to increase the number of such vehicles in local authority areas.

Would they not be better to give the Taxi owner an incentive rather than pay the council more to do their goverment dirty work?

Maybe the Incentive is a Chunky publicly funded Cash Bonus to the LA Licensing Officers for their Public Flayings of Dissentful Hacks along with their personal legal Immnunity from prosecution by the European Court of Human Rights for their enforcement of the Bill....

As the New saying goes..." No Gain, No Pain".. eusasmiles.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:57 am 

just a quickie

WHY do LAs opt to issue CofC's instead of a proper MOT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:54 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
just a quickie

WHY do LAs opt to issue CofC's instead of a proper MOT?

WTF has this got to do with the Equalities Act? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:55 pm 

Whats happened this Bill?...It seems an eternity since they voted for it with extreme urgency and bugger all has come of it since!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Whats happened this Bill?...It seems an eternity since they voted for it with extreme urgency and bugger all has come of it since!!

The Bill is now an Act.

Parts of the Act have been enacted, parts of it are being re-assessed, but the part relating to the % of WAVs in restricted areas is to be consulted on soon. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:33 pm 

Sussex wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

The Bill is now an Act.

Parts of the Act have been enacted, parts of it are being re-assessed, but the part relating to the % of WAVs in restricted areas is to be consulted on soon. :wink:

What....In the same way as my much awaited NHS Consultation over a Minor Hernia Moves ever more distant in time even though they always say it'll be within 8 weeks...which they first said 6 months ago?

No...call me a Cynic but somethings just never arrive...and maybe thats a good thing for some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:09 am 

Taxis: Disability

Caroline Lucas: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport when he expects the provisions of the Equality Act 2010 relating to taxis, private hire vehicles and accessibility for disabled persons and assistance dogs to be implemented; and when he expects to launch his Department’s consultation on the proportion of wheelchair accessible vehicles per local fleet that must be met before a licensing authority can refuse to grant a licence for a wheelchair accessible vehicle for the purpose of controlling taxi numbers. [53060]

Norman Baker [holding answer 28 April 2011]: The sections of the Equality Act 2010 which place duties on taxi and private hire vehicle (PHV) drivers to carry assistance dogs came into force in October 2010.

Section 166, which allows taxi and PHV drivers to be exempt from the duties to assist passengers in wheelchairs for medical reasons, or under certain defined conditions, also came into force in October 2010.

We are currently considering the commencement strategy for sections 165 and 167 which deal with the imposition of the duties on taxi and PHV drivers to assist passengers in wheelchairs. We are also considering the commencement strategy for section 161 which qualifies local authorities’ power to control taxi numbers. We will consult before making any regulations under this section, but we have not yet set a timetable for doing so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next