Taxi Driver Online
http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/

Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000
http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12416
Page 9 of 10

Author:  Fae Fife [ Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

captain cab wrote:
I see you resort to insults when people disagree with you, that's hardly the behaviour of a lady now is it?

CC


HA HA Captain Cab, I forgot you were TDO's resident funnyman.

But given your reply I take it that you were on a wind-up mission then?

By the way, it's Fae, not Fay - that's the ladies' name :wink:

Author:  Private Reggie [ Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000

captain cab wrote:
Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000 for £3,600


COUNCIL chiefs have been forced to virtually give away lucrative taxi licences that could actually be worth up to £700,000.

The lottery-style draw which takes place today gives hundreds of applicants the chance to win one of 20 hackney carriage plates that could be sold on the open market for up to £35,000 each.

Yet under the law Southampton city bosses are prevented from selling them and can only cover administration costs, which amounts to £180 per licence.

The city council has admitted there is nothing to stop drivers applying for a plate with a view to selling it on for a healthy profit, as the legislation simply isn’t in place to stop the practice.

In all 346 applicants will be in the hat for today’s draw, giving them a one in 17 chance of landing a potential money spinning licence.


Just joined this forum but find this topic interesting, Added to your Knowledge of the New York way don't you think that the 70+% of De-limited councils within the UK missed a Trick? Surely the way forward is the New York way!!! What would it take to bring in the New York way too the U.K :?: As a licence holder i would welcome the idea of the New York way as a way to protect my investment 8) Also is it not the fact that the New York way is another way to restrict the flow of Taxi's :?: I feel we as a trade need to lobby this idea around our councils, i'm sure our councils could do with a way to raise revenue so as to improve our Taxi trade :)

Author:  ALI T [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000

Private Reggie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000 for £3,600


COUNCIL chiefs have been forced to virtually give away lucrative taxi licences that could actually be worth up to £700,000.

The lottery-style draw which takes place today gives hundreds of applicants the chance to win one of 20 hackney carriage plates that could be sold on the open market for up to £35,000 each.

Yet under the law Southampton city bosses are prevented from selling them and can only cover administration costs, which amounts to £180 per licence.

The city council has admitted there is nothing to stop drivers applying for a plate with a view to selling it on for a healthy profit, as the legislation simply isn’t in place to stop the practice.

In all 346 applicants will be in the hat for today’s draw, giving them a one in 17 chance of landing a potential money spinning licence.


Just joined this forum but find this topic interesting, Added to your Knowledge of the New York way don't you think that the 70+% of De-limited councils within the UK missed a Trick? Surely the way forward is the New York way!!! What would it take to bring in the New York way too the U.K :?: As a licence holder i would welcome the idea of the New York way as a way to protect my investment 8) Also is it not the fact that the New York way is another way to restrict the flow of Taxi's :?: I feel we as a trade need to lobby this idea around our councils, i'm sure our councils could do with a way to raise revenue so as to improve our Taxi trade :)

why dont you just move to new york dougie

ahhh but then you couldn't afford a plate their could you :wink:

still thats as close as you'll ever come to the new york model.

probably the most ludicrous idea that has ever been branded about the trade,do you have any idea what your talking about :?: :wink:

Author:  Sussex [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000

Private Reggie wrote:
Just joined this forum but find this topic interesting, Added to your Knowledge of the New York way don't you think that the 70+% of De-limited councils within the UK missed a Trick? Surely the way forward is the New York way!!!

The New York way being 10s of 1000s of immigrant taxi drivers driving folks around the city earning starvation wages. :sad:

Not for me thanks. :sad:

Author:  Private Reggie [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000

ALI T wrote:
Private Reggie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000 for £3,600


COUNCIL chiefs have been forced to virtually give away lucrative taxi licences that could actually be worth up to £700,000.

The lottery-style draw which takes place today gives hundreds of applicants the chance to win one of 20 hackney carriage plates that could be sold on the open market for up to £35,000 each.

Yet under the law Southampton city bosses are prevented from selling them and can only cover administration costs, which amounts to £180 per licence.

The city council has admitted there is nothing to stop drivers applying for a plate with a view to selling it on for a healthy profit, as the legislation simply isn’t in place to stop the practice.

In all 346 applicants will be in the hat for today’s draw, giving them a one in 17 chance of landing a potential money spinning licence.


Just joined this forum but find this topic interesting, Added to your Knowledge of the New York way don't you think that the 70+% of De-limited councils within the UK missed a Trick? Surely the way forward is the New York way!!! What would it take to bring in the New York way too the U.K :?: As a licence holder i would welcome the idea of the New York way as a way to protect my investment 8) Also is it not the fact that the New York way is another way to restrict the flow of Taxi's :?: I feel we as a trade need to lobby this idea around our councils, i'm sure our councils could do with a way to raise revenue so as to improve our Taxi trade :)

why dont you just move to new york dougie

ahhh but then you couldn't afford a plate their could you :wink:

still thats as close as you'll ever come to the new york model.

probably the most ludicrous idea that has ever been branded about the trade,do you have any idea what your talking about :?: :wink:

Who's Dougie :?:

Author:  ALI T [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 am ]
Post subject: 

aye but you could always buy a plate sussex.............if you have half a million or so.

dougie wants that over here,luckily our current legislation would make it impossible.

another thing Dougie questions are being asked as to the current fee in Edinburgh under F.O.I .

oh and btw 2

i don't believe that the cost of surveys should be paid for out of licensing do you :?:

after all its their choice to restrict,and i dont see why applicants should pay for the council to produce information to deny those applicants . :wink:

somit not quite right their is it :wink: :wink: :wink:

Author:  ALI T [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000

Private Reggie wrote:
ALI T wrote:
Private Reggie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Council forced to sell off taxi licences worth £700,000 for £3,600


COUNCIL chiefs have been forced to virtually give away lucrative taxi licences that could actually be worth up to £700,000.

The lottery-style draw which takes place today gives hundreds of applicants the chance to win one of 20 hackney carriage plates that could be sold on the open market for up to £35,000 each.

Yet under the law Southampton city bosses are prevented from selling them and can only cover administration costs, which amounts to £180 per licence.

The city council has admitted there is nothing to stop drivers applying for a plate with a view to selling it on for a healthy profit, as the legislation simply isn’t in place to stop the practice.

In all 346 applicants will be in the hat for today’s draw, giving them a one in 17 chance of landing a potential money spinning licence.


Just joined this forum but find this topic interesting, Added to your Knowledge of the New York way don't you think that the 70+% of De-limited councils within the UK missed a Trick? Surely the way forward is the New York way!!! What would it take to bring in the New York way too the U.K :?: As a licence holder i would welcome the idea of the New York way as a way to protect my investment 8) Also is it not the fact that the New York way is another way to restrict the flow of Taxi's :?: I feel we as a trade need to lobby this idea around our councils, i'm sure our councils could do with a way to raise revenue so as to improve our Taxi trade :)

why dont you just move to new york dougie

ahhh but then you couldn't afford a plate their could you :wink:

still thats as close as you'll ever come to the new york model.

probably the most ludicrous idea that has ever been branded about the trade,do you have any idea what your talking about :?: :wink:

Who's Dougie :?:

ahhh so you are embarrassed about your daft ideas then.
who can blame you for wanting to distance yourself from such mad ideas as redcabman....i mean reallllly :roll:
no probs Dougie,we will all just pretend your names private registration

Author:  Private Reggie [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:50 am ]
Post subject: 

ALI T wrote:
aye but you could always buy a plate sussex.............if you have half a million or so.

dougie wants that over here,luckily our current legislation would make it impossible.

another thing Dougie questions are being asked as to the current fee in Edinburgh under F.O.I .

oh and btw 2

i don't believe that the cost of surveys should be paid for out of licensing do you :?:

after all its their choice to restrict,and i dont see why applicants should pay for the council to produce information to deny those applicants . :wink:

somit not quite right their is it :wink: :wink: :wink:

The New York way is the way to go as it would allow councils to restrict the flow of plates in another way and also allow councils to raise revenues so as to bring the Taxi trade and its regulations in to the 21st century :wink: Have you not sold your carpetbagged plate yet :?:

Author:  ALI T [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 am ]
Post subject: 

Private Reggie wrote:
ALI T wrote:
aye but you could always buy a plate sussex.............if you have half a million or so.

dougie wants that over here,luckily our current legislation would make it impossible.

another thing Dougie questions are being asked as to the current fee in Edinburgh under F.O.I .

oh and btw 2

i don't believe that the cost of surveys should be paid for out of licensing do you :?:

after all its their choice to restrict,and i dont see why applicants should pay for the council to produce information to deny those applicants . :wink:

somit not quite right their is it :wink: :wink: :wink:

The New York way is the way to go as it would allow councils to restrict the flow of plates in another way and also allow councils to raise revenues so as to bring the Taxi trade and its regulations in to the 21st century :wink: Have you not sold your carpetbagged plate yet :?:

dougie :lol: if thats who you are

the council can already control the flow of plates as you put it.
what you are suggesting! and correct me if I'm wrong, is that the council should charge £50k for an application for a license.
that would require a massive change in quite a few pieces of legislation not just the cgsa.

it wont happen its just a fear response and quite frankly a pipe dream

Author:  ALI T [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 am ]
Post subject: 

oh and thats plates, plural. :lol:

you mean the ones that you lot said i wouldn't get in a million years.
no i haven't sold yet! mind you that report is now six months old and the data even older so the time is fast approaching for some fresh apps

Author:  Private Reggie [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 am ]
Post subject: 

ALI T wrote:
Private Reggie wrote:
ALI T wrote:
aye but you could always buy a plate sussex.............if you have half a million or so.

dougie wants that over here,luckily our current legislation would make it impossible.

another thing Dougie questions are being asked as to the current fee in Edinburgh under F.O.I .

oh and btw 2

i don't believe that the cost of surveys should be paid for out of licensing do you :?:

after all its their choice to restrict,and i dont see why applicants should pay for the council to produce information to deny those applicants . :wink:

somit not quite right their is it :wink: :wink: :wink:

The New York way is the way to go as it would allow councils to restrict the flow of plates in another way and also allow councils to raise revenues so as to bring the Taxi trade and its regulations in to the 21st century :wink: Have you not sold your carpetbagged plate yet :?:

dougie :lol: if thats who you are

the council can already control the flow of plates as you put it.
what you are suggesting! and correct me if I'm wrong, is that the council should charge £50k for an application for a license.
that would require a massive change in quite a few pieces of legislation not just the cgsa.

it wont happen its just a fear response and quite frankly a pipe dream

I've seen Red Cab Mans view on bringing in the New York model and it's the way to go :) The New york way yes would need changes in the law but the threat to Edinburgh council of compensation, more apps and court challenges may force councils to go down the road of bringing in the New York way.

The New York way is a form of De-restriction but with a level of self restriction built in, current plate holders would trade below the councils higher licence fee granted. Once all plates have been traded within the Trade then the council after survey's of demand have been done, could raise money by auctioning plates off, 20 plates "say" at £40k = £800k, money the trade needs to (a) do regular survey's (b) expand the cab office and provide better facilities ect, the councils may find the temptation too much, Other councils who have De-limited have missed a trick :lol:

Oh and BTW Laws can be changed and are commonly changed to favour the regulators of our country, we are just pawns on a chess board :wink:

Author:  ALI T [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:56 am ]
Post subject: 

its as i thought Dougie! this nowt but a pipe dream you thought up whilst driving. :wink:

with absolutely no practicable way of bringing it to fruition. eusasmiles.zip

one must ask why you keep prattling on about it :?: :?:

Author:  Sussex [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Private Reggie wrote:
I've seen Red Cab Mans view on bringing in the New York model and it's the way to go :) The New york way yes would need changes in the law but the threat to Edinburgh council of compensation, more apps and court challenges may force councils to go down the road of bringing in the New York way.

All this would need a change to Scottish and European law, but I doubt it will happen.

But if you think it will, go for it.

Author:  ALI T [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

more chance of the Eurasian plate drifting over the north American plate thereby causing Scotland to crash into Manhattan island and becoming part of New York than this happening :lol:

Author:  Private Reggie [ Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

ALI T wrote:
more chance of the Eurasian plate drifting over the north American plate thereby causing Scotland to crash into Manhattan island and becoming part of New York than this happening :lol:

The legalities are being or have been looked at :) "Temptation" that is the :?:

Page 9 of 10 All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/