Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:54 pm 

Taxi drivers losing out to illegal operators

Up to a dozen 'rogue' taxi drivers are costing Longford's licensed operators hundreds of euro each week, it has been claimed.

The assertion was made by a number of irate drivers many of whom maintain daily earnings have now slumped to €30 per day in some cases.

In a further development, the Leader has also obtained access to a list of suspected illegal operators which had been passed onto the taxi regulator by local taxi drivers.

The list contains registration numbers and in certain instances names and telephone numbers of allegedly errant taxi operators.

"There are at least 12 on it," said Paddy Boyle who originally compiled the register earlier this year. "I have the numbers, registrations, you name it and I gave it to the taxi regulator on February 14 last."

A spokesperson on behalf of the Commission for Taxi Regulation said the organisation was not in a position to comment on individual investigations but admitted a batch of officials were monitoring the Longford region closely.

"The Commission for Taxi Regulation can confirm that members of its enforcement team have been in Longford as part of an ongoing national operation. The Commission does not provide detailed information on specific investigations or operations," a statement confirmed.

Operating in a relatively small town like Longford and with a greater number of allegedly unlicensed drivers flooding the system, Paddy Boyle said the local industry was being thrown into chaos.

"A run to Mullingar in a taxi is €60 but these guys are charging €25. It is just destroying the whole thing," he fumed.

Other operators vented their frustration to the Leader along the town's main taxi rank last Friday. Anthony McGovern, who has around a decade of experience to his name, claimed that tighter surveillance of the town by the taxi regulator and other authorities were having little or no effect.

"We had the regulator here one night and when word got around, about 20 taxis disappeared off this rank. Every time they come, taxis just disappear. I work some nights but most times it's not worth it because you are sitting up here like zombies while all the illegal boys are working down the street and we are up here earning nothing.

"At the moment I could be sitting here all day and I mightn't get v30 and you would be sitting here from 9 in the morning until six at night. If I could get a job in the morning I would be gone, that's how bad it is. It's not worth it," he stated.