Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 am 

Regulator puts cap on issuing of taxi licences
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 15674.html

Regulator Kathleen Doyle says her office will work closely with the Department of Social and Family Affairs to make sure those on unemployment benefits are not also driving cabs.

THE Commission for Taxi Regulation has barred new entrants to the industry unless they are prepared to buy a wheelchair-accessible taxi.

New reforms announced yesterday also mean the regulator will work with the Department of Social and Family Affairs to ensure people claiming unemployment benefit are not driving a taxi. Regulator Kathleen Doyle has also pledged to examine the possibility of introducing a new roof plate which would state where a licence holder is allowed to operate.

Taxi drivers are only allowed to work where they are licensed, but roof signs currently only display a number.

Driver groups have complained that this results in drivers travelling across the country to poach passengers during busy periods such as music festivals, but the new system would see the name of the county placed on the roof plate to identify where the driver can ply for trade.

Other changes to the licensing system include:

Existing taxi licences will only be allowed to be sold to another driver once. The new licence holder must have a car less than three years old.
A fleet licence could be introduced for owners of a number of licences. This would oblige the licence holder to ensure all drivers have tax and insurance.

All cars must be less than nine years old by January 2011.

All drivers must sit a knowledge test by 2012.

The commission will also collect information from new entrants on other employment and seek tax clearance certificates in an effort to reduce double-jobbing by drivers working excessive hours.

"These measures are a natural progression in our ongoing reform of the industry," Ms Doyle said.

"A key concern of the commission is that the SPSV (small public service vehicle) fleet meets its accessibility objective. As it is individuals with disabilities who are often most reliant on the door-to-door service offered by taxis, the commission believes that there is a need to increase the number of wheelchair accessible vehicles and improve the availability of those already licensed to provide a service."

There are currently 1,577 wheelchair accessible taxis from a national fleet of 27,169. Ms Doyle hopes to increase this number to 10pc of the fleet.

The Irish Taxi Drivers Federation said it welcomed most of the new provisions, but criticised the lack of grants to help drivers buy new wheelchair accessible cabs.

Upgrade

"I welcome the fact that all new licences will have to be wheelchair accessible, but I'm disappointed that a grant is not being put in place for existing licence holders to upgrade their vehicles. It will be necessary for many of those to buy new vehicles," spokesman John Ussher said.

"I acknowledge she is trying to take the industry forward but we have a situation where we have in the region of 14,000 taxis in Dublin, but just 600 spaces. It's legally correct but morally wrong for a full-time driver to be sitting behind a bank official or fireman.

"Something will have to be done about part-time drivers. There would be no problem bringing in part-time drivers in busy periods, but we don't have busy periods. The business can't carry on the way it is. The stress in trying to meet financial commitments is huge."

The commission will meet with the industry over the coming months to discuss the reforms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:01 am 

Taxi licences not transferable under reforms

NEW taxis licensed from next year will have to be wheelchair accessible and taxi licences will no longer be transferable from one driver to another under reforms announced yesterday.

The commissioner for taxi regulation, Kathleen Doyle, announced the changes for the small public service vehicle (SPSV) industry following the commission’s most recent public consultation process.

They will be implemented on a phased basis between now and 2012 and include a fast-tracking of the driver skills programme. In addition, the commissioner has brought forward from 2012 to 2011 a requirement that vehicles licensed as taxis may not be any more than nine years old.

The commission is also examining the possibility of issuing fleet licences for those holding multiple licences, for “greater transparency and enforcement purposes”.

Speaking to The Irish Times , Ms Doyle said that while there was a strong supply of saloon vehicles at present, there was a weaker supply of wheelchair accessible vehicles.

“We would regularly meet people from the accessibility and disability groups. The problem there is they are having a difficult time trying to find accessible vehicles, particularly in rural areas. Part of the initiative is to roll out a new category of vehicle, a wheelchair-accessible hackney, which would serve people in rural areas which aren’t accessible at present.

The commissioner said she would introduce stronger penalties for drivers of wheelchair accessible vehicles who failed to provide a service to people with disabilities when requested to do so.

To ensure the second-hand market value of licences does not artificially increase, following any new entry requirements, any new taxi licences issued will not be transferable.

Ms Doyle acknowledged, however, that there was a certain “expectation” for holders of existing licences and they would therefore be transferable, but only once more and to a high-quality vehicle less than three years’ old.

Ms Doyle said the recommendations were a “proactive response” to the recommendations of the Goodbody Economic Review on the industry.

“We firmly believe that at the conclusion of this reform period, that Ireland will have an SPSV fleet it can be proud of and the consumers and the industry will greatly benefit.”

President of the Irish Taxi Drivers’ Federation, John Ussher, said he welcomed the fact that the commission would make all new licences wheelchair accessible.

But he said he would like to have seen grants made available by the commission for drivers without wheelchair-accessible vehicles to convert them or to buy new ones.

Vinny Doyle, chief executive of Dublin-based Xpert Taxis, said the recommendations were “reasonably positive” and that they should gain acceptance from the industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:02 pm 

Interesting.

I wonder how they plan on making sure that people who are on benefits aren't driving cabs.

I also think that using WAV requirements to socially engineer entrants out of an industry is nothing short of disgusting. If you're out of work how in the hell are you supposed to find £40,000 especially since you're going from no work to self-employed.

This is going to create more problems than it solves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:02 pm 

Saltmarket wrote:
Interesting.

I wonder how they plan on making sure that people who are on benefits aren't driving cabs.

I also think that using WAV requirements to socially engineer entrants out of an industry is nothing short of disgusting. If you're out of work how in the hell are you supposed to find £40,000 especially since you're going from no work to self-employed.

And she has ginger hair ffs

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:05 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Saltmarket wrote:
Interesting.

And she has ginger hair ffs

CC

That's now PC negative.

The new terminology is 'strawberry blonde'

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:10 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
That's now PC negative.

She's on my banned list

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:22 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
That's now PC negative.

She's on my banned list

CC

Why?

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:23 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
That's now PC negative.

She's on my banned list

CC

Why?

she's a ginner......and shes responsible for the fecked up irish cab trade.....glad I got her pic....i'll be on the lookout :wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
That's now PC negative.

She's on my banned list

CC

Why?

she's a ginner......and shes responsible for the fecked up irish cab trade.....glad I got her pic....i'll be on the lookout :wink:

CC

I'd have thought you would have invited her as a guest speaker to Eastbourne.

:D :D :D

Brummie Cabbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:28 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
I'd have thought you would have invited her as a guest speaker to Eastbourne.

:D :D :D

I'm on the door....she wouldnt get in :wink:

not wid dat hair colour!

CC