Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:50 pm 

scanner wrote:
I want to know why the buses all stop at 11pm. Why is there no pressure on the bus companies to provide a transport service at "Peak Times". After all, they are the ones that are subsidised.

There is simply no "demand" for buses after 11 pm in most areas, and there are countless surveys to support that. The reason, according to the surveys, is that the public percieve travel by late buses to be too hazardous because of the yob factor.

And, why are some of my words being underlined? Its not me underlining them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:06 am 

Yes..that may be so.. But I am talking about peak periods.

The buses are an important part of public transport as everyone knows, so I would still argue that if there is a great demand at certain times then the bus companies should be compelled to cover those times. When you examine the issue then it is logical that more use should be made of the buses Think of all the busses tucked up in the garages.

As for the Yob factor... well , no wonder taxi drivers are perhaps not working those times. I have had a hack for over twenty years and use to work well into the early mornings at the weekend. But not any more. The latest I work is up to 1am on fridays and saturdays as it is now getting too yobbish. And the police are useless. If I am not confident in getting a good quick response from them then why should I risk my safety for a few extra quid.

If any more licenses are finaly issued then the new hacks are welcome to the late night work.

I would like to see a TaxiCab Charter that protects the cab driver from the public with definative laws that the public must abide by.

Sorry...off topic a bit here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:29 am 
I want to know why the OFT made NO real recomendations.

What happened to the "single tier" result that was so keenly promised by many people.

The OFT will have absolutely NO effect on conditions or regulations in Gateshead, or I believe anywhere else in the North East.

Still outstanding are a few questions that have not been answered by the "anti H/C" brigade, supported eagerly by the "why should it be illegal to pick up flaggers" mob, funily enough the same questions were'nt answered within this load of crap the OFT have published.

Can any one of the members explain to me why I had to wait 45 mins for my P/H car to pick me up from home to take me out tonight OR why my wife and I stood outside Newcastle City Hall for 30 mins to be told by some obnoxious tart that the car had been 20 minutes ago, waited for 10 mins then pulled off.
Shouldn't there be an investigation as to why P/H operators are allowed to treat THEIR customers in such an appauling manner, and could one of the same group explain to me why they want to pick up flaggers when their own customers cannot have their bookings honoured.

With regard the T&G's press release, all I can say is that any group that looks after its members is only doing what its constitutionally obliged to do. Never before have I heard of any group surviving after taking account of non-members views before those of their members.

SM I wonder why you believed the press release was posted by Mr Stevenson, and Dusty I wonder why you "assume" the T&G to have a low opinion of London Cabbies, when the greatest number of T&G (Cab Section) members are in fact London Cabbies (I revert back to a previous comment).

The OFT report promised so much, pity then that it delivered so little.

B. Lucky :twisted:

ps -
"You say that the T&G has shown competition has been bad for the bus industry. Mr Stevenson, we don't drive buses and most drivers are self-employed in our trade."

SM, if you wish to allow comparisons with other idustries within your own arguments you must allow others the same comparisons in theirs. You are guilty, yet again, of something you accuse many people of having - double standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:02 am 

Anonymous wrote:
I want to know why the OFT made NO real recommendations.

What happened to the "single tier" result that was so keenly promised by many people.

The OFT will have absolutely NO effect on conditions or regulations in Gateshead, or I believe anywhere else in the North East.

Well even though there was only really three of them, at least they made some.

As for OFT not effecting your manor, well they have passed the buck to the DfT and the local authorities.

So if nothing changes, then it will also be the fault of the government and your council, not giving a monkeys as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:08 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Can any one of the members explain to me why I had to wait 45 mins for my P/H car to pick me up from home to take me out tonight OR why my wife and I stood outside Newcastle City Hall for 30 mins to be told by some obnoxious tart that the car had been 20 minutes ago, waited for 10 mins then pulled off.
Shouldn't there be an investigation as to why P/H operators are allowed to treat THEIR customers in such an appauling manner, and could one of the same group explain to me why they want to pick up flaggers when their own customers cannot have their bookings honoured.

There could be an investigation into your wait, but all it will show is that your wait is too long. Perhaps the answer is to get rid of all standards and have all and sundry licensed to pick you up.

Perhaps the trade in your manor is not very inviting, and other employment options are deemed better by those who may have wished to join the trade.

One also has to mention that restricting numbers is a statute of law, therefore from time to time people will look at it, to see if it is a justifiable one.

OFT has looked at it, and found that it stinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:17 am 

Anonymous wrote:
With regard the T&G's press release, all I can say is that any group that looks after its members is only doing what its constitutionally obliged to do. Never before have I heard of any group surviving after taking account of non-members views before those of their members.

SM I wonder why you believed the press release was posted by Mr Stevenson, and Dusty I wonder why you "assume" the T&G to have a low opinion of London Cabbies, when the greatest number of T&G (Cab Section) members are in fact London Cabbies (I revert back to a previous comment).

It is my opinion that representation of the HC trade by those such as the T&G, has led to the mess that I believe we have at present.

If the T&G had not been so blinkered in the past, then perhaps more drivers would be in the trade, and your wait the other night would not have been so long.

I don't for a second believe that Mr Stevenson posted that message. The T&G's hierarchy never come on any of the taxi-forums to put their points of view. Exactly why, I will leave others to decide. :?

I'm sure that the T&G doesn't have a low opinion of the London Cab Trade, however I'm crystal clear that the London Cab Trade have a low opinion of the T&G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:24 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
With regard the T&G's press release, all I can say is that any group that looks after its members is only doing what its constitutionally obliged to do.

As I said they didnt help me with one of there policies. They fault that the frre and open bit applies to everyone bar them. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:39 pm 
Mick that is truely shocking. Surely no company ever has peaks of demand and tells customers to wait 45?

And then not finding you in a busy city centre location.

Why don't you ring and complain, ask for for the owner, I am sure he will want to hear your constructive comments.

There and then he might think you are a bit of a pain? Have you ever worked for the company?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:11 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:
Why don't you ring and complain, ask for for the owner, I am sure he will want to hear your constructive comments.

Or flag down a HC, I believe there are plenty in his manor. :roll:

Yet more evidence of latent demand. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:40 am 

Anonymous wrote:

and Dusty I wonder why you "assume" the T&G to have a low opinion of London Cabbies, when the greatest number of T&G (Cab Section) members are in fact London Cabbies (I revert back to a previous comment).

Have another read at the press release Mick, he seems to be saying that the service in de-restricted areas was crap, which presumably includes London.

My remark was both making a serious point and also meant slightly tongue in cheek.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:42 am 

Anonymous wrote:

The de-limitation recommendation was categorical enough Mick, I can't really see how they could make it any more 'real'.

The rest was a waste of time though.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:49 am 

Anonymous wrote:

Yes Mick, the OFT report was a big dissapointment apart from the de-limitation recommendation, which was a no-brainer anyway.

As I said in another thread we're really no further on than a couple of years ago, since the Govt had proposed de-limitation and the DfT were drawing up best practice guidance anyway - and if all the OFT felt able to recommend were 'proportionate' quality standards then that doesn't add much to the sum of human knowledge.

The cynic in me thinks that the OFT were just given a remit to justify de-limitation, which did not really need a lot of justifying, but gives the Govt a bit more clout.

And the rest was just added on to justify the DfT's best practice guidance.

I doubt if 'blue skies' thinking was within the OFT's remit.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:57 am 

Anonymous wrote:

It wasn't promised Mick, it was just a hope and/or a considered opinion on what the outcome might be.

The most categorical forecast on here was probably:

"Ok then, the OFT report is due out within the next week. The government then have 90 days to respond. The OFT will reccomend that licensing powers are removed from local authority control and that new agencies are set up to control taxi licensing. As the OFT have made recomendations that will ultimatly cost local government massive ammounts of revenue it is unlikely that they will move to quickly as if they decide to implement the proposals they will meet with the same stern opposition as they did with their Regulatory Reform proposals some time ago."

I suspect this is T&G sourced, so it would be interesting to know where it came from.

Or maybe it was just someone having a wind up.

Dusty :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:07 am 

Wind up perhaps, but ill-informed at that.

Although I would have liked OFT to have considered taking control away from local councils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:31 pm 

Is there not a chance that government will pass stiff guidelines down to local councils, on what is needed to have fit and proper vehicles and drivers?

So the government will set the standards, and councils will enforce them. Bit like planning and beer licensing.

Alex

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next