Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:01 pm 

You won't get compensation, there's an English dereg case where the judge basically stated that since 1985 buying a HC license has been a gamble.

I wonder where the public come into all of this?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:54 pm 

captain cab wrote:
You won't get compensation, there's an English dereg case where the judge basically stated that since 1985 buying a HC license has been a gamble.

I wonder where the public come into all of this?

CC

Compensation would be paid through a hardship fund, i can't remember the name of it though? But was told about it from Kenny Mac askil Snp minister for justice, Compensation is accepted as a done deal if council De-limited, although they won't through choice, they will consider every avenue before De-limitation.

Kenny also stated that if the STF where behind the New York way the Scottish government would take a serious look at this option, but i can confirm Edinburgh council already have and are seriously taking a good look at the New York way as another way too restrict the flow of plates.

Maybe the NTA should take a really good look in to the benefit of the New York model as far as (a) another way too restrict (b) another way to control the trade (c) another way too protect the trade.

The Trade is an easy target and in my opinion is at risk, we know the Trade can be misused and can be used as tools of terrorism, tools of moneylaundering and tools of many other forms of criminal activity.

De-regulation, De-restriction what ever way you want to call it. opens the door to the above potentials, the last thing our trade needs (through some silly Unfettered access breach????) is our trade being ripped apart, at the moment we pride our self of professionalism, lets keep it that way, the New York way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:14 pm 

Private Reggie wrote:

Compensation would be paid through a hardship fund, i can't remember the name of it though? But was told about it from Kenny Mac askil Snp minister for justice, Compensation is accepted as a done deal if council De-limited, although they won't through choice, they will consider every avenue before De-limitation.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2002/2484.html

Since Mr Royden has not been deprived of his licence, and does not object to the conditions attaching to the licence (e.g. a vehicle no more than three years old, wheelchair access etc), that leaves only the expected loss of the premium or 'scarcity value' of the licence that might have been expected to be payable by a transferee of Mr Royden's licence at some future date. However, unlike the normal case of "goodwill" as a business asset, this 'premium' does not arise out of the fact that Mr Royden has built up a reputation or has an established clientele, as might be the case of a business such as a restaurant. The 'premium' arises simply because of the restriction on the number of hackney carriages authorised to ply for hire in the Wirral area. In other words, it is simply the reflection of the value of the local monopoly enjoyed by the existing hackney carriage proprietors and drivers. Presumably, the transferee's willingness to pay such a premium results from his estimation of the future profits he hopes to be able to make from the business thus protected.

Private Reggie wrote:
Kenny also stated that if the STF where behind the New York way the Scottish government would take a serious look at this option, but i can confirm Edinburgh council already have and are seriously taking a good look at the New York way as another way too restrict the flow of plates.

Maybe the NTA should take a really good look in to the benefit of the New York model as far as (a) another way too restrict (b) another way to control the trade (c) another way too protect the trade.

The STF are entitled to their opinion and to pursue policies that their members consider appropriate.

However, I tend to disagree with what you want, it appears you effectively want a closed shop. If councils sell licenses this will be done purely and solely for their own selfish purposes, again the taxi trade will be seen as a cash cow.

In my view the best way the trade can protect itself is to give the customer the best possible service through decent accurate surveys that assess the demand of passengers.

I certainly dont want to control the trade in the manner you state.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:21 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Private Reggie wrote:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2002/2484.html

Since Mr Royden has not been deprived of his licence, and does not object to the conditions attaching to the licence (e.g. a vehicle no more than three years old, wheelchair access etc), that leaves only the expected loss of the premium or 'scarcity value' of the licence that might have been expected to be payable by a transferee of Mr Royden's licence at some future date. However, unlike the normal case of "goodwill" as a business asset, this 'premium' does not arise out of the fact that Mr Royden has built up a reputation or has an established clientele, as might be the case of a business such as a restaurant. The 'premium' arises simply because of the restriction on the number of hackney carriages authorised to ply for hire in the Wirral area. In other words, it is simply the reflection of the value of the local monopoly enjoyed by the existing hackney carriage proprietors and drivers. Presumably, the transferee's willingness to pay such a premium results from his estimation of the future profits he hopes to be able to make from the business thus protected.

Private Reggie wrote:

The STF are entitled to their opinion and to pursue policies that their members consider appropriate.

However, I tend to disagree with what you want, it appears you effectively want a closed shop. If councils sell licenses this will be done purely and solely for their own selfish purposes, again the taxi trade will be seen as a cash cow.

In my view the best way the trade can protect itself is to give the customer the best possible service through decent accurate surveys that assess the demand of passengers.

I certainly dont want to control the trade in the manner you state.

CC

I would agree with you but Survey's of demand are not good enough for some of whom who want to De-limit under the Human rights act section 14 , based on the premise they are being denied unfettered access to the tools of their trade. I would be quite happy to go along as it is but in the event of the numpties playing the LAW card winning, surely the New York way can be considered as a last resort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:29 pm 

Private Reggie wrote:
I would agree with you but Survey's of demand are not good enough for some of whom who want to De-limit under the Human rights act section 14 , based on the premise they are being denied unfettered access to the tools of their trade. I would be quite happy to go along as it is but in the event of the numpties playing the LAW card winning, surely the New York way can be considered as a last resort

Article 14: Discrimination

The enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this convention shall be secured without discrimination on any ground such as sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status.

This section?

I seriously believe the UK government would have been better giving us bill of rights.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Private Reggie wrote:

Article 14: Discrimination

The enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this convention shall be secured without discrimination on any ground such as sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status.

This section?

I seriously believe the UK government would have been better giving us bill of rights.

CC

I'm quoting the section SKULL keeps shouting about although i can't see within your post anything concerning Unfettered access to the tools of their trade being denied? Maybe Skull or Taylor would like to point out to us the correct section or explain where within this are they being denied unfettered access? C'MON big boy's (skull&taylor) we want to debate your alledged breach of rights!!! As far as i'm concerned our council acts fairly and without discrimination, survey's of demand are fair.

I agree with the bill of rights, some clarity for a trade at risk of security breaches as posted earlier would help protect not only the trade but also the public. Security though can overcome Human rights, in some cases

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 am 

ok lets say we follow your plan a little private reggie

the council owns your plate dougie you say you paid x for it and you propose that the council charge y to new apps.
they would then have to charge you the difference between x and y

happy so far :?:

then they would have to ask you to prove your purchase

the logistics of this are a minefield Dougie,never mind illegal.

it will never happen,and remember i don't care if it did, I'm quids in either way

or they could just say that everyone has to pay £40k on renewal of your license

would you be happy if a letter from the council landed on your doorstep tomorrow telling you that your council tax for next year will be £50k

happy with that.

and you say I'm right wing

what you propose is bordering on fascism

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:30 pm 

ALI T wrote:
ok lets say we follow your plan a little private reggie

the council owns your plate dougie you say you paid x for it and you propose that the council charge y to new apps.
they would then have to charge you the difference between x and y

then they would have to ask you to prove your purchase

the logistics of this are a minefield Dougie,never mind illegal.

it will never happen,and remember i don't care if it did, I'm quids in either way

or they could just say that everyone has to pay £40k on renewal of your license

would you be happy if a letter from the council landed on your doorstep tomorrow telling you that your council tax for next year will be £50k

happy with that.

and you say I'm right wing

what you propose is bordering on fascism
HyPATHETICAL response!!! I'm sure we could negotiate a better deal than that! Also my financial records are spot on are yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 pm 

its clear you haven't thought this through Dougie.
apart from its all about Dougie Dougie Dougie.

you've been shot to bits on here and on fasties its a nonsense of an idea
and you know it at least i hope you do.

and no i don't keep financial records.

those are for people that actually have a business.

if I'm ever asked for them then ill make some up £12k a year.gross
and yes i smoke in my cab go tell the cab inspector see where that gets you.
you drive a taxi dougie its unskilled labour we are the bottom of the barrel in case you didn't know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm 

ALI T wrote:
i
you drive a taxi dougie its unskilled labour

F*ck off.....in the nicest possible terms obviously, I know every street, every rat run of my City and have done this job for 20 odd years.

I consider myself a highly skilled cab driver.......and so should you.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:20 pm 

oh and what if they remove incorporation :?: :?:
and then tell you they you have to pay £40k on your next renewal or your plate gets auctioned off to the highest bidder :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

have you given up on the pilot scenario Dougie has it been struck from Dougie's book of marvelous ideas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:42 pm 

ALI T wrote:
its clear you haven't thought this through Dougie.
apart from its all about Dougie Dougie Dougie.

you've been shot to bits on here and on fasties its a nonsense of an idea
and you know it at least i hope you do.

and no i don't keep financial records.

those are for people that actually have a business.

if I'm ever asked for them then ill make some up £12k a year.gross
and yes i smoke in my cab go tell the cab inspector see where that gets you.
you drive a taxi dougie its unskilled labour we are the bottom of the barrel in case you didn't know

The only 3 people too try and shoot me to bits is the three T(it)s and i emphasise the TRY. On fasties Taylor and Skull avoided the idea but others thought the idea has merit, infact i've had many cabbies coming up saying to me the council should have done this years ago before plate value's rocketed.

Ali your obviously a worried man with a worried mind to confess on a forum that you don't keep financial record's AND smoke in your cab, you know! you never know who is watching, remind yourself of your remit! Screwing the system to make money, lots of guy's with grudges know you are a carpetbagger!!! But Trust me i'm not a grass, what you do or the way you live your life i have no concern, good luck with it, but i live it clean i've come to far to lose it.

I agree with CC the Trade is full of many Skills of which is what i love about it.

A point to note as i play games with you!!! Who said the council will sell plates for £40k, not me!!! I'm staying with the right to use, application fee for the right to use £40k is another form of restriction within a resricted market place, De-regulation fecked the banks ect it doesn't work over regulation, in Edinburgh we need restriction

I was at the AGM Snp tonight, Security will be re-defined to cover trades such as the Taxi trade to halt the infiltration of the Taxi trade by criminals ect, just a point to note :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:44 pm 

Private Reggie wrote:

I was at the AGM Snp tonight, Security will be re-defined to cover trades such as the Taxi trade to halt the infiltration of the Taxi trade by criminals ect, just a point to note :D

Strange you should mention that......the NTA conference this year will cover it.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:47 pm 

ALI T wrote:
oh and what if they remove incorporation :?: :?:
and then tell you they you have to pay £40k on your next renewal or your plate gets auctioned off to the highest bidder :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

have you given up on the pilot scenario Dougie has it been struck from Dougie's book of marvelous ideas

Incorporation stay's, plates not sold and stay as they are but a transfer fee at the current new app level brought in for existing plate holders, Ali the only part that changes is the new application fee up to £40k?

The point on the Pilot? Two words to see if you get it? Difference and investment :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:48 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Private Reggie wrote:

Strange you should mention that......the NTA conference this year will cover it.

CC

Thanks for that CC it proves to some i don't talk pash :D I heard it straight from our Justice ministers mouth :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next