Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:07 pm 

At today's forum meeting our LO reminded us of his plan to put a questionnaire on the official website for interested parties and the general public to give their input into the ongoing root and branch review of the taxi trade in Falkirk District. One aspect of this was to determine if the public, disability groups etc felt there was a need for more taxis in the area.

This led to the question being asked, why a SUD survey wasn't being considered instead. It would serve the same purpose and the trade was confident that not only would it find there was too many taxis, there was also more than sufficient WAVs available to the populace.

We were reminded that it would fall on us to, directly or indirectly, fund any survey and that it would probably be challenged on a regular basis after a period of time, leading to a further survey being commissioned.

Even so there was enough support from the representatives present to convince the LO to take it to the councillors for their perusal. We will find out in 4 weeks time if the support extends to the rest of the trade and if indeed a survey will be done, or if after the questionnaire replies are collated, it may be the council will impose their own upper limit .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:38 am 

The council impose it's own upper limit?

Surely any limit needs a decent survey in place to make it legal?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:34 pm 

We in Winchester have asked many times, but the council here (tory) won't wear it.... situ here is catch 22...
Drivers have to pay for it, most can't afford it, council has hands tied...
They know we are over prescribed to the tune of 49 saloons, 80 wavs, 218 PH....

From the leader of Winchester City Council......

"I believe that you have already spoken to John Myall, the Licensing and Registration Manager, who explained that Winchester City Council is not empowered to put a limit on the number of licences issued. The only limit WCC is permitted to impose is in respect of new applications for saloon cars as hackney carriages as they must now be wheelchair compatible. Further, there is considerable pressure from the Department of Transport on authorities to remove limits.

This authority has modified the policies and procedures as far as is possible in order to ensure that we get the highest calibre of applicants. These include more stringent medical requirements, CRB and DVLA checks, knowledge tests and driving tests. It is considered that these and market forces will eventually go some way to limit the number of licensed taxis.

I am satisfied that the Council is doing all it can within the limits of its powers to control the number of taxis."

Cllr George Beckett
Leader of the Council

End of.... :-|