Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm
Posts: 14134
Location: On the move
Quote:
councils might well find themselves being challenged because they do not have any saloon vehicles..


That has to be my favourite bit :wink: :lol: Having said that I'm not holding my breath. I think I'll be the only one brave enough or is it daft enough to challenge our council

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 40588
Location: 1066 Country
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Isn't it just an amendment to Section 16 of the Transport Act 1985 & nothing else?

Yes and no.

The new bit that partially amends section 16 is the reason behind this thread, and in my view is the main taxi part of the act.

However the old bit of the 1995 act, that require taxis to be wheelchair accessible, at a time set by the gov, has also been incorporated into the act.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Winchester Hampshire
Whatever happens it has opened the floodgates even more which will result in lower incomes, longer hours, hardship and will be a matter of the strongest and fittest will survive...... :roll: :-|
I would hazard a guess that as unemployment gets worse as it will, we will see all sorts vainly hoping to earn (what they mistakenly think is a lucrative occupation) peanuts as it is now..... :roll: :-|


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:15 pm
Posts: 8144
towag wrote:
Whatever happens it has opened the floodgates even more which will result in lower incomes, longer hours, hardship and will be a matter of the strongest and fittest will survive...... :roll: :-|
I would hazard a guess that as unemployment gets worse as it will, we will see all sorts vainly hoping to earn (what they mistakenly think is a lucrative occupation) peanuts as it is now..... :roll: :-|



And thats off the Back of having to buy much more expensive and less fuel efficient Vehicles that a lot will not be able to afford.

In the end there will be a few more WAVs but they'll be needed to cover non WAV work so leaving MR wheelchair user in the same position as before....Struggling to find a suitable vehicle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Winchester Hampshire
bloodnock wrote:
towag wrote:
Whatever happens it has opened the floodgates even more which will result in lower incomes, longer hours, hardship and will be a matter of the strongest and fittest will survive...... :roll: :-|
I would hazard a guess that as unemployment gets worse as it will, we will see all sorts vainly hoping to earn (what they mistakenly think is a lucrative occupation) peanuts as it is now..... :roll: :-|



And thats off the Back of having to buy much more expensive and less fuel efficient Vehicles that a lot will not be able to afford.

In the end there will be a few more WAVs but they'll be needed to cover non WAV work so leaving MR wheelchair user in the same position as before....Struggling to find a suitable vehicle.


Oh yes!! Ironic, but I'm afraid will probably come true...... :roll: :lol: :-| Then again I am past caring as the trade, politics have invertently brought it on themselves..... :roll: :lol: 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 40588
Location: 1066 Country
captain cab wrote:
Your presuming you know the percentages......mystic Alex is it? :wink:

It would appear mystic Alex isn't far from the truth. :shock:

In the Equalities Act Impact Assessment the gov state that they envisage around 50% of the fleet being WAV in restricted areas.

http://www.equalities.gov.uk/pdf/Equali ... Impact.pdf

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:25 pm
Posts: 36907
Location: Wayneistan
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Your presuming you know the percentages......mystic Alex is it? :wink:

It would appear mystic Alex isn't far from the truth. :shock:

In the Equalities Act Impact Assessment the gov state that they envisage around 50% of the fleet being WAV in restricted areas.

http://www.equalities.gov.uk/pdf/Equali ... Impact.pdf


They (the DFT) must have a mystic side too, they aint done the 3 LA thingy yet!

CC

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:09 pm
Posts: 1178
Location: Miles away from paradise, not far from hell.
Another three councils have responded today, and they all go into TDO's red zone.

29. Halton. 58 WAVs out of 267. 21.72%.

81. Tunbridge wells. 4 WAVs out of 100. 4%.

83. Warrington. 56 WAVs out of 154. 36.36%.

Alex

_________________
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 8119
Location: A Villa in Aston NO MORE!
Alex wrote:
Another three councils have responded today, and they all go into TDO's red zone.

29. Halton. 58 WAVs out of 267. 21.72%.

81. Tunbridge wells. 4 WAVs out of 100. 4%.

83. Warrington. 56 WAVs out of 154. 36.36%.

Alex

And out of all those in the red zone, Tunbridge Wells looks like the best business opportunity for multi-owner plate barons willing & able to provide WAVs for licensing.

There's going to be some wealth created by those with money again, for those with money again!!

_________________
Kind regards,

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:15 pm
Posts: 140
Lets say you are in a restricted area with 100% WAV and you pop in to the Council TODAY - as the law stands NOW.

You apply for a HCV license for your TX4 and you are refused. You pop in and explain to the judge that the new law (that has received Royal Assent) says a council cannot refuse to license a WAV.

The council will argue that the Sec of State will decide on a percentage one day soon.

But Judge - I want a HCV license today, here and now, to serve the many disabled wheelchair users who have signed my petition. What is law today Judge? Do I have to wait an indeterminate amount of time for the Sec of State? Who will be Sec of State?

What is the law TODAY????

Answers on a postcard please.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:44 pm
Posts: 10430
Location: Scotland
I wonder if this will help in Edinburgh???

_________________
Always discount to get more fares


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:09 pm
Posts: 1178
Location: Miles away from paradise, not far from hell.
Three more replies today. Two greens and a red.

41. Lincoln. 30 WAVs out of 31 (one horse and cart). 96.77%.

59. Reading. 214 WAVs out of 214. 100%.


84. Weymouth. 6 WAVs out of 80. 7.5%.

Alex

_________________
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 40588
Location: 1066 Country
littlejack3 wrote:
What is the law TODAY????

I think the courts will defer to the old law until the new one become clearer.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 40588
Location: 1066 Country
Alex wrote:
41. Lincoln. 30 WAVs out of 31 (one horse and cart). 96.77%.

So we now know what Mr Jimbo drives. :D

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:32 pm
Posts: 247
What would be considered a WAV vehicle ,make/model and dimentions ?Would it have to be a side loading vehicle?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group