Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:37 pm 

It is no good a council being led to believe that removing numeral controls will solve the problems of people waiting for taxis..... when in fact we all know that private hire will become Hackney's and the people they are serving will then be left waiting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:43 pm 

MR T wrote:
It is no good a council being led to believe that removing numeral controls will solve the problems of people waiting for taxis..... when in fact we all know that private hire will become Hackney's and the people they are serving will then be left waiting...

That just didn't happen in Brum from 1996 through to 2008 when we were de-restricted. In fact both PH & HC grew with HC roughly doubling & PH growing by about 120%.

There was very little take up by PH of HCVLs, but some jockeys & many multi owners took up the HCVLs on offer.

But what slowed it down was the policy of only issuing new HCVLs to brand new vehicles only.

It's obviously different in your area.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:49 pm 

I take it nobody challenged that condition..... and I have been advised by numerous people that that condition would fall....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:52 pm 

I seem to remember that the condition stated it had to be a brand new FX4... have they changed that yet :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:54 pm 

MR T wrote:
I take it nobody challenged that condition..... and I have been advised by numerous people that that condition would fall....

There are a number of LAs that adopt that condition & nobody challenged the condition, because they liked it that way.

Strange that there has never been a case in a higher court to challenge such a policy.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:55 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
MR T wrote:

There are a number of LAs that adopt that condition & nobody challenged the condition, because they liked it that way.

Strange that there has never been a case in a higher court to challenge such a policy.
I have to admit that if it suited me I wouldn't challenge it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 am 

MR T wrote:
As usual many differing points of view..... in the past private hire drivers have stated that there is an unmet demand...... so unfortunately the only way to prove that there isn't is by survey.....

I can't believe you are saying that Sefton only survey due to some PH drivers questioning demand. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:04 pm 

MR T wrote:
As usual many differing points of view..... in the past private hire drivers have stated that there is an unmet demand...... so unfortunately the only way to prove that there isn't is by survey..... as I am an extremely reasonable individual I have been of the mind that people claiming should bear part of the cost when proving they are wrong..... the survey is paid for by an additional £2 per licence..... not bad for a private hire driver £2 every three years.

As for why private hire companies are included in the survey, it is important to give a full picture of the services being provided by both hackney and private hire..... I must admit after reading the letter from Sefton / survey company I was surprised that two extremely important questions have not been asked..1... whether a driver is full time or part-time and 2 how much of his work is generated outside of Sefton......

Another point that I find sloppy..... is that in light of the recent new Act..... Sefton is not specifically surveying the needs of the disabled in regard to how many wheelchair accessible vehicles we would need.......
Mr T, I can honestly say I have never met another driver that believes there is unmet demand in Sefton, as for the 2 nicker then if it was something we had to pay every week we would if it put a stop to numbers in the end. As for the survey then the unmet demand questions are about HC only so it's pointless. Yourself Mr T and all the other HC drivers work is dovetailed with PH so the more of us then the less for you so in my opinion these survey's should reflect both. As for your questions 1&2 I totally agree but I would also add to number 1 how many licence holders only work from October to the start of Jan. As for number 2 then again I agree it should be declared how much work is generated outside Sefton and also to find out the large majority of drivers that have licenses that also live outside the Sefton border and in the Liverpool area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:50 pm 

Quote:
find out the large majority of drivers that have licenses that also live outside the Sefton border and in the Liverpool area.

Why? What's the point? There are people over here that are licenced in Sefton I don't see the relevance tbh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:07 pm 

toots wrote:
Quote:
find out the large majority of drivers that have licenses that also live outside the Sefton border and in the Liverpool area.

Why? What's the point? There are people over here that are licenced in Sefton I don't see the relevance tbh
The point being is Toots that delta management would have people believe there is unmet demand in the liverpool area and continually employing drivers along with the council who live within the Liverpool boundry who then drop passengers from liverpool back in to sefton are then mobile to do work in sefton which again affects the amount of work of drivers whose majority of their work is in sefton PH and HC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:20 pm 

dagger wrote:
toots wrote:
Quote:

The point being is Toots that delta management would have people believe there is unmet demand in the liverpool area and continually employing drivers along with the council who live within the Liverpool boundry who then drop passengers from liverpool back in to sefton are then mobile to do work in sefton which again affects the amount of work of drivers whose majority of their work is in sefton PH and HC.

The owners of any PH company aren't interested if there is or isn't an unmet demand IMO they are only interested in settle and as far as I can make out are seldom affected by any recession :wink: At the end of the day PH can pick up and drop off anywhere in the country so long as they are booked. It hasn't gone unnoticed the increase of Delta drivers on this side of the water. It is important that the PH fill in the survey forms provided. The PH didn't do that here when they were sent out and the consequences are now obvious. You may not like HC's but at least you are not on the same sytem as them competing for your work because there are just too many of them to make a living on the road

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:39 pm 

toots wrote:
dagger wrote:
toots wrote:
Quote:

The owners of any PH company aren't interested if there is or isn't an unmet demand IMO they are only interested in settle and as far as I can make out are seldom affected by any recession :wink: At the end of the day PH can pick up and drop off anywhere in the country so long as they are booked. It hasn't gone unnoticed the increase of Delta drivers on this side of the water. It is important that the PH fill in the survey forms provided. The PH didn't do that here when they were sent out and the consequences are now obvious. You may not like HC's but at least you are not on the same sytem as them competing for your work because there are just too many of them to make a living on the road
I agree toots about the PH company's, as for your side of the water then how long will it be before it's flooded with delta drivers who live on the wirral because customers over there see delta cars all the time start using them and then potential new drivers from your side look for a firm to work for, see delta are growing and then choose to work for them. That's my point delta are the biggest firm in sefton, biggest in Liverpool and it will get bigger, that's no fault of drivers. If cross border hiring was made illegal it would not make HC more work all that would happen is the Liverpool drivers currently working under a sefton plate would then go and work for a Liverpool firm making delta management the losers but the liverpool firms would get bigger due to demand and no restriction leaving Liverpool licensing smoking the cigars that sefton council have been smoking for years. I will be filling the survey in Toots and we do get on with the Sefton Hacks, i have all the sympathy in the world for them as I can see their work decline but that is down to technology but most of all deregulation of Private Hire. It's the Liverpool hacks we don't get on with because the majority of them have an agenda to get back to their good old days of ripping people of due to no competition, again they seem to ignore the scenario as above that if it was not delta it would be the Liverpool private hire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:56 pm 

Quote:
deregulation of Private Hire.

PH has never been regulated and the best you can hope for is that they have to provide evidence that there is work available for the drivers they have and I can't see that happening anytime soon. There are alternatives available to working for the largest company but most drivers don't like the risk :wink:

You can't blame Liverpool HC's for not liking PH from other areas sitting in their area waiting for work. I know it'd pi$$ me off if I found Delta sitting around in my area and to be honest I don't think they are suppose to. I do believe they are supposed to return to their own licenced area if they are not on a job, but, I could be wrong :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:24 pm 

toots wrote:
Quote:
deregulation of Private Hire.

PH has never been regulated and the best you can hope for is that they have to provide evidence that there is work available for the drivers they have and I can't see that happening anytime soon. There are alternatives available to working for the largest company but most drivers don't like the risk :wink:

You can't blame Liverpool HC's for not liking PH from other areas sitting in their area waiting for work. I know it'd pi$$ me off if I found Delta sitting around in my area and to be honest I don't think they are suppose to. I do believe they are supposed to return to their own licenced area if they are not on a job, but, I could be wrong :D
I don't sit around in the Liverpool area waiting for work Toots and there are many like me. Delta's bussiest area's are Edge Hill , Anfield, Norris Green, Walton hall, Black Bull, Sefton Park, Liverpool North(first suburb out of city) liverpool south(first south around city) and the city center itself. I work night's and I promise you Toots that of a night there is certainly not many drivers in these areas hanging around for jobs because most of the time it's quite buzy, agreed they are not traveling back to sefton and then being despached back to Liverpool but as far as I know the law does not require them to. Different story of a day time where there are drivers waiting in all of these areas and the stat's on my screen show how many are waiting and how many jobs in the last hour which is updated every couple of minutes, in the day it's as bad in all of the above areas as all the Sefton area's so why would these drivers hang around there and the reason is because most of those drivers actually live and are more familiar round there. It only became like this after about 2005 when it was buzy in the liverpool areas even in the day and I'm quite sure but I may be wrong that is when the DFT de-restricted the licensing of private hire licenses. The problem with Liverpool Hackney's is they should not be called City Cabs they should be called City Center Cabs. They are quite happy for Delta to work all the Liverpool area's to bring the people into the city but then get the hump because the public then ring Delta (not only delta by the way) to take them home again. Liverpool hackney's do not use ranks outside of the city center of a night, like I said Toots I dont work liverpool unless despatched to a job while inside my own border that's on the edge of theirs. A change in law would probably suit the likes of me because I i say a large amount of delta drivers would leave and then go and work for liverpool firms as their demand would be greater, believe me having no Delta would not mean more work for City Center Cabs, it might do for a couple of months or maybe even a couple of years until the likes of Davy Liver and Alpha get their act's together and expanding their fleet rather than missing the boat like they have with delta. By the way Toots when some Liverpool Hacks are doing their changeover after a shift and they're a bit early after posting the cab key's through the day men's doors guess who they phone to then take them home - DELTA :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:06 pm 

dagger......Did that drive-by shooting in Crosby have any effect on your work :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next