Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:36 pm 

MR T wrote:
mind you they have still been paying their government £10,000 for a new licence.... now you would think that was a restraint.

Any more than paying similar amounts for a licence in a restricted area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 pm 

gusmac wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As a matter of interest, what gem came up with the following statements?

“Passengers wait an average of five minutes in restricted authorities for a taxi at a rank. However, in derestricted authorities the average wait time for a hackney at a rank is 7.24 minutes.”

“When ‘flagging’ a taxi, passengers wait an average of 8.8 minutes in restricted areas as opposed to 9.6 minutes in derestricted authorities”

“Passengers wait an average of 10.6 minutes in restricted authorities and 14.8 minutes in derestricted areas for a taxi when booked by telephone.”

No idea, and even less idea what it has to do with these tragedies.

MR T wrote:
People on here keep referring to proper controls..... when are they going to get it into their heads that it is just not going to happen....... best practice guidelines keep telling councils that they must not put any undue regulations into place that will stop drivers from getting a licence...... and the best practice guidelines are being formulated after considerable consideration of EU law..... freedom of trade :shock: :roll:

But undue regulations preventing them getting a vehicle licence are ok under EU law?

gusmac wrote:
I've always admired the b*lls of the restrictionists who have constantly used Dublin for their own ends.
I keep telling you I have no problems with licences being issued I have a problem with oversupply..... it would seem the Irish do as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 pm 

They are statements by the oft actually.....basically proving the taxi service is actually worse in deregulated areas than in reglated ones.

I did say I was going off track.

As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

I dont see your argument in mentioning regulated areas, regulated areas have at least the benefit of a settled market....a deregulated area hasnt.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 pm 

captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

FFS. Keep taking the pills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:51 pm 

captain cab wrote:

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:55 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

No just a massive turnover of drivers with clapped out Car's or new ones being repossessed left right and centre...... oh did I forget family credit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:56 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

I dont know, perhaps they're all on family tax credits and maybe Ireland doesnt have that?

I quite like the thought of the british tax payer subsidising taxi services though :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:58 pm 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

No just a massive turnover of drivers with clapped out Car's or new ones being repossessed left right and centre...... oh did I forget family credit

Be that as it may, but the point being made is that de-limitation increases the risk that drivers kill themselves.

I ask why that particular illness/outcome hasn't affected the 100% de-limited PH trade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:01 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Be that as it may, but the point being made is that de-limitation increases the risk that drivers kill themselves.

I ask why that particular illness/outcome hasn't affected the 100% de-limited PH trade?
And you know that for certain..... because a few years ago I attended the funeral of a private hire driver that killed himself by putting a hose in the car... because he couldn't make a living

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:02 pm 

MR T wrote:
And you know that for certain..... because a few years ago I attended the funeral of a private hire driver that killed himself by putting a horse in the car... because he couldn't make a living

Dreadful outcome, but why didn't he join the restricted cab trade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

it would seem that the Irish benefit system does not subsidise taxi or private hire drivers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:05 pm 

Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
And you know that for certain..... because a few years ago I attended the funeral of a private hire driver that killed himself by putting a horse in the car... because he couldn't make a living

because the private hire company he was working for wanted the car back because he hadn't paid the rent....... and the mortgage company was repossessing his home..... which his wife didn't know anything about......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 pm 

Glad I didnt mention Birdy :shock:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:18 am 

Quote:

If he can't make enough money to survive on when he already has a suitable vehicle for PH how on earth is supposed to join a restricted cab trade. Come to think of it how is he supposed to join a de-restricted cab trade?

Quote:
Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system?

I actually believe there is more work for PH drivers than there is for HC drivers. People are more inclined to ring for a car than go out on the street in the hope of flagging a HC down. You also have to make allowances for the fact that HC's cost more than your average PH vehicles. That's not to say that the PH drivers are not feeling the recession because they are, but, I think the HC that is dependent on street work is feeling it more than anybody else in most areas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:10 am 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Perhaps it is easier for PH drivers to walk away if the trade isn't viable.
Same goes for renting hack drivers who can hand the cab back.

Not an option for someone who had to spend a fortune to get plated, with their home as security.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next