Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:31 pm
Posts: 12045
Location: Aberdeen
MR T wrote:
mind you they have still been paying their government £10,000 for a new licence.... now you would think that was a restraint.


Any more than paying similar amounts for a licence in a restricted area?

_________________
Image
http://wingsoverscotland.com/ http://www.newsnetscotland.com/
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm
Posts: 8081
gusmac wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As a matter of interest, what gem came up with the following statements?

“Passengers wait an average of five minutes in restricted authorities for a taxi at a rank. However, in derestricted authorities the average wait time for a hackney at a rank is 7.24 minutes.”

“When ‘flagging’ a taxi, passengers wait an average of 8.8 minutes in restricted areas as opposed to 9.6 minutes in derestricted authorities”

“Passengers wait an average of 10.6 minutes in restricted authorities and 14.8 minutes in derestricted areas for a taxi when booked by telephone.”

No idea, and even less idea what it has to do with these tragedies.

MR T wrote:
People on here keep referring to proper controls..... when are they going to get it into their heads that it is just not going to happen....... best practice guidelines keep telling councils that they must not put any undue regulations into place that will stop drivers from getting a licence...... and the best practice guidelines are being formulated after considerable consideration of EU law..... freedom of trade :shock: :roll:


But undue regulations preventing them getting a vehicle licence are ok under EU law?

gusmac wrote:
I've always admired the b*lls of the restrictionists who have constantly used Dublin for their own ends.
I keep telling you I have no problems with licences being issued I have a problem with oversupply..... it would seem the Irish do as well

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:25 pm
Posts: 36950
Location: Wayneistan
They are statements by the oft actually.....basically proving the taxi service is actually worse in deregulated areas than in reglated ones.

I did say I was going off track.

As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

I dont see your argument in mentioning regulated areas, regulated areas have at least the benefit of a settled market....a deregulated area hasnt.

CC

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:31 pm
Posts: 12045
Location: Aberdeen
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.


FFS. Keep taking the pills.

_________________
Image
http://wingsoverscotland.com/ http://www.newsnetscotland.com/
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 44109
Location: 1066 Country
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm
Posts: 8081
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?
No just a massive turnover of drivers with clapped out Car's or new ones being repossessed left right and centre...... oh did I forget family credit

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:25 pm
Posts: 36950
Location: Wayneistan
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?


I dont know, perhaps they're all on family tax credits and maybe Ireland doesnt have that?

I quite like the thought of the british tax payer subsidising taxi services though :lol:

CC

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 44109
Location: 1066 Country
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?
No just a massive turnover of drivers with clapped out Car's or new ones being repossessed left right and centre...... oh did I forget family credit

Be that as it may, but the point being made is that de-limitation increases the risk that drivers kill themselves.

I ask why that particular illness/outcome hasn't affected the 100% de-limited PH trade?

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm
Posts: 8081
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?
No just a massive turnover of drivers with clapped out Car's or new ones being repossessed left right and centre...... oh did I forget family credit

Be that as it may, but the point being made is that de-limitation increases the risk that drivers kill themselves.

I ask why that particular illness/outcome hasn't affected the 100% de-limited PH trade?
And you know that for certain..... because a few years ago I attended the funeral of a private hire driver that killed himself by putting a hose in the car... because he couldn't make a living

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 44109
Location: 1066 Country
MR T wrote:
And you know that for certain..... because a few years ago I attended the funeral of a private hire driver that killed himself by putting a horse in the car... because he couldn't make a living

Dreadful outcome, but why didn't he join the restricted cab trade?

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm
Posts: 8081
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?
No just a massive turnover of drivers with clapped out Car's or new ones being repossessed left right and centre...... oh did I forget family credit

Be that as it may, but the point being made is that de-limitation increases the risk that drivers kill themselves.

I ask why that particular illness/outcome hasn't affected the 100% de-limited PH trade?
it would seem that the Irish benefit system does not subsidise taxi or private hire drivers

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:26 pm
Posts: 8081
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:
And you know that for certain..... because a few years ago I attended the funeral of a private hire driver that killed himself by putting a horse in the car... because he couldn't make a living

Dreadful outcome, but why didn't he join the restricted cab trade?

because the private hire company he was working for wanted the car back because he hadn't paid the rent....... and the mortgage company was repossessing his home..... which his wife didn't know anything about......

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:25 pm
Posts: 36950
Location: Wayneistan
Glad I didnt mention Birdy :shock:

CC

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
Quote:
Dreadful outcome, but why didn't he join the restricted cab trade?


If he can't make enough money to survive on when he already has a suitable vehicle for PH how on earth is supposed to join a restricted cab trade. Come to think of it how is he supposed to join a de-restricted cab trade?

Quote:
Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system?


I actually believe there is more work for PH drivers than there is for HC drivers. People are more inclined to ring for a car than go out on the street in the hope of flagging a HC down. You also have to make allowances for the fact that HC's cost more than your average PH vehicles. That's not to say that the PH drivers are not feeling the recession because they are, but, I think the HC that is dependent on street work is feeling it more than anybody else in most areas

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:31 pm
Posts: 12045
Location: Aberdeen
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?


Perhaps it is easier for PH drivers to walk away if the trade isn't viable.
Same goes for renting hack drivers who can hand the cab back.

Not an option for someone who had to spend a fortune to get plated, with their home as security.

_________________
Image
http://wingsoverscotland.com/ http://www.newsnetscotland.com/
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group