Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 7:15 pm
Posts: 8337
Chopsy wrote:
toots wrote:
Chopsy wrote:
Good point! I guess the operators don't have to care as long as they get radio rent?

I'll pass your message on...and add a slap for good measure :lol:


That's a bit harsh innit :lol: :lol:


:lol: You don't know my hubby - I'll take any excuse I can get! :wink:


Hmmm.........think I'll start writing a TV series....."Chopsy and Toots" has one hell of a ring to it.. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
bloodnock wrote:
Chopsy wrote:
toots wrote:
Chopsy wrote:
Good point! I guess the operators don't have to care as long as they get radio rent?

I'll pass your message on...and add a slap for good measure :lol:


That's a bit harsh innit :lol: :lol:


:lol: You don't know my hubby - I'll take any excuse I can get! :wink:


Hmmm.........think I'll start writing a TV series....."Chopsy and Toots" has one hell of a ring to it.. :?


I think I might be slapped on a daily basis for all to see.......... I'm not sure I'd like that 8-[

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:28 pm
Posts: 22
Toots - based on what I have read of your battles around here, I am fairly confident I'll be the 'good cop'. You're tougher than I am! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 8119
Location: A Villa in Aston NO MORE!
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?

Because by & large PH drivers are weekend part-timers with other weekday jobs, whereas by & large HC drivers are in it to win it & for the full week long haul!!

_________________
Kind regards,

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 44193
Location: 1066 Country
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Because by & large PH drivers are weekend part-timers with other weekday jobs, whereas by & large HC drivers are in it to win it & for the full week long haul!!

Maybe in your manor, but certainly not mine.

Logic suggests to me that part-timers are likely to rent taxis rather than run their own PH, as the costs of running a car part-time don't make it that viable.

Whilst jockeying a taxi part-time makes more business sense. Well it does in my manor.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Because by & large PH drivers are weekend part-timers with other weekday jobs, whereas by & large HC drivers are in it to win it & for the full week long haul!!

Maybe in your manor, but certainly not mine.

Logic suggests to me that part-timers are likely to rent taxis rather than run their own PH, as the costs of running a car part-time don't make it that viable.

Whilst jockeying a taxi part-time makes more business sense. Well it does in my manor.


I have to concur with Sussex. The majority of the PH drivers here are all full time and the job is their only job. There are a few who have come into the trade on both sides as something to do because they have now retired from other professions, but, not many

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:25 pm
Posts: 36950
Location: Wayneistan
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
As for the suicides,.....if you dont see them as a sign of oversupply of taxis then there is no hope for you.

Why do we not see no end of PH drivers suicides in a 100% non-quota system? :?

Because by & large PH drivers are weekend part-timers with other weekday jobs, whereas by & large HC drivers are in it to win it & for the full week long haul!!


Of course in a deregulated area you may as well be part time.....or on income support and tax credits. :shock:

CC

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Irish suicides
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:38 pm
Posts: 431
The suicides in Eire hav nothing to do with oversupply of taxis plates. The problem was many have invested thier life saving to purchase an old Ford saloon for around 75 grand (the going rate before dereg). It was obvious it had to stop. In Manchester a tribunal last year discovered the Asian coming into the trade were being sold free plates for around 50 grand, by people who had been in the trade years and were manipulating a waiting list. Nobody can blame anyone for taking 75 grand when they can,but if you have missed the boat the loss of this money would make anybody suicidal. A change in the law to stop any plate being transfered would put a stop to many of these problems.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish suicides
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:25 pm
Posts: 36950
Location: Wayneistan
tom2907 wrote:
The suicides in Eire hav nothing to do with oversupply of taxis plates.

The problem was many have invested thier life saving to purchase an old Ford saloon for around 75 grand (the going rate before dereg).


Thats a rather large contradiction.

CC

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group