Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Government Best practice
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:27 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
At the trade consultation meeting held on 15th July by the SKDC licensing team which was attended by just 1 member of the trade it was pointed out that there are double the amount of hackney carriages per head of population than in all the neighbouring ditricts the councils answer was that they follow Government best Practice which reccommends no limits on numbers

This makes me think does the trade itself reccommend this as best practise and if not would it be possible in theory at least to persuade the government to change this reccommendation ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:39 pm 

edders23 wrote:
This makes me think does the trade itself reccommend this as best practise and if not would it be possible in theory at least to persuade the government to change this reccommendation ?

I doubt many in the trade support a free and open taxi market, although there are a few of us that do.

As for changing gov policy, methinks a general election is the vehicle for that.

Maybe it's worth you pointing out to your LO that although the gov's BPG does indeed say they would like to see the end of taxi quotas, it does also say it's down to local councils to decide for themselves.

Maybe an indirect restriction route, of improving vehicle and driver standards, needs to be looked at in your manor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:39 pm 

Quote:
does the trade itself reccommend this as best practise

Some do and some don't, it's a can of worms you're opening. I take it you don't read the Scottish section then :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 pm 

edders23 wrote:
At the trade consultation meeting held on 15th July by the SKDC licensing team which was attended by just 1 member of the trade it was pointed out that there are double the amount of hackney carriages per head of population than in all the neighbouring ditricts the councils answer was that they follow Government best Practice which reccommends no limits on numbers

The 'trade' certainly didnt recommend deregulation as best practice......that was the OFT.....in a woeful report from 2003.

In respect of best practice.....if that's your councils opinion that best practice is good......perhaps you should download a copy and go through all the government recommendations your council doesnt actually apply :wink:

CC