Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:17 pm 

80 hacks, about 180 ph, 143000 population. Half the hacks are on circuits, the "independents" tend to be "non locals". The high sign up cost and radio rents to the radio circuits with the work seem to keep numbers under control.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:23 pm 

Gobmacked at the timeline of this thread, the Council will decide tomorrow if the cap goes ahead.

Submitted report here......

http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/coins/viewDoc ... 9Dj%93r%82

also a further review of the trade will be discussed as included in the report.

The trade are raging as we didn't expect half the things discussed, but not ratified at the forum have been included.

I'll keep you informed tomorrow pm.

ETA link busted, sorry. Go to Falkirk.gov.uk and committee meetings. 19th March Enviroment and Community Safety meeting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm 

Ok I got an email from one of the trade reps on the forum.

At today’s (19/03/201) meeting of the Environment & Community Safety Committee regarding the review of Taxi/Private Hire Vehicle Licensing Arrangements Agenda Item 5 .

The Convener Dr C Martin (labour) put forward The Motion (A) and Cllr S Jackson (SNP) put forward an amended Motion (B)
A) I would move that Committee agrees the following:-

1. Taxi numbers
That the current approach continues and that no numerical cap is introduced for operator licences.

2. Licence Conditions
That the conditions appended to the report are approved (subject to allowing operators to continue to display their company name on the sign on top of the taxi) and that the conditions come into effect on renewal of the relevant licence.

3. Vehicle Types
That the current policy on the age of vehicles is changed to reduce the age at which a vehicle can first enter the fleet from 6 years to 3 years but that this is done progressively by a reduction of 1 year each year starting on 1st April 2014 and the current policy requiring that each new operator licence in respect of a wheelchair accessible vehicle be modified to the requirement being for wheelchair or hybrid/ electric vehicle.

4. Driver Standards
That a training requirement is introduced for new taxi and private hire drivers only (with the option for the civic licensing committee to attach the condition in other cases where it considers it necessary) and that officers are instructed to bring proposals on the content of the training requirements following discussion with training providers to a future committee.

5. Advertising
That advertising is allowed on all taxis (but not private hire vehicles) subject to the restrictions set out in paragraph 6.4 and in accordance with procedure to determined by the Chief Governance officer which would include a fee of £35.00

And the decisions of today’s committee are referred to the next decision making committee of the council.

B) SNP Motion
1. Cap on the plates.
Item 2,3,4,5 be referred back to consultation and seek the view of the trade.

After Discussions the voting was called, with a draw at five five the Convener had the casting vote and carried the original Motion

I may need my kevlar body armour when I go back out. I know, as a member of the forum, I'll be in the firing line. Even though we didn't accept most of the above.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:21 pm 

grumpy wrote:

B) SNP Motion
1. Cap on the plates.
Item 2,3,4,5 be referred back to consultation and seek the view of the trade.

After Discussions the voting was called, with a draw at five five the Convener had the casting vote and carried the original Motion [/color]

I may need my kevlar body armour when I go back out. I know, as a member of the forum, I'll be in the firing line. Even though we didn't accept most of the above.

I take it the cab trade there are now 100% SNP :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:21 pm 

grumpy wrote:
5. Advertising
That advertising is allowed on all taxis (but not private hire vehicles) subject to the restrictions set out in paragraph 6.4 and in accordance with procedure to determined by the Chief Governance officer which would include a fee of £35.00

Not convinced that charge is legal.