Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:53 am 

Sussex wrote:
Perhaps brain box Dusty can formulate it. :wink:

Er, well I don't think Dusty has enough brains to forumulate it, but I think it's just common sense that the more difficult it is to do a job then the higher the wage or salary will be.

By the same token, it stands to reason that the more difficult it is to get a taxi driver's badge the less drivers there will be, thus fewer drivers mean more fares.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:55 am 

Doom wrote:
And finally, as you are deeply pro PH Mark, what right does anyone from a PH background have to have a say on Hacks are run, we are two different things, I don't get to have a say on what PH is allowed to do, so why should PH have any say on my future, to me it's like the bloke from Bovril telling the bloke from Marmite what he should be doing.

And here was me thinking you the HC man kept on moaning about how your PH was run :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:21 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Doom wrote:
And finally, as you are deeply pro PH Mark, what right does anyone from a PH background have to have a say on Hacks are run, we are two different things, I don't get to have a say on what PH is allowed to do, so why should PH have any say on my future, to me it's like the bloke from Bovril telling the bloke from Marmite what he should be doing.

And here was me thinking you the HC man kept on moaning about how your PH was run :lol:

Only because it's working as a hack fleet Dusty, he's got it all to come, we'll see how he likes it when the golden goose gets plucked to the bone in his area, it will come, 5 years ago we had 4 Asian's and a handful of European's, now half the fleet is owned by migrant's or Asian's and the PH consists mainly of non English because the English guy doesn't fancy hour upon hour chasing a £2.80 fare that the punter is still going to moan about while sitting in traffic without a meter, stroke pulling to the extreme as well, how about touting for event business miles out of our license area, would that not make you sit up, they did it a while ago, so if I was to adopt that myself I should stand outside Heathrow with flyers intercepting the work the TX's should really be getting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:51 pm 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:
Does anywhere apart from London have a high entry criteria? Those that do seem to have forgotten to have much of a criteria at all when it comes to ph

In many manors entry criteria is the same for both sides of the trade, and in my area I believe the entry criteria is high, but like most places could be higher.

I doubt from a PH perspective their is anywhere in the country with a higher entry criteria than my manor.

We are top dog, on a par with our brothers driving black cabs in London.
:D

On a more serious note I suspect there is an equation indicating higher entry criteria leads to higher earnings.

And if that type of criteria is made national and not local, then the trades may have a future.

It certainly is not the case in Brum!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:00 pm 

Doom wrote:
Well lets examine this reply Mark.

You are working Brighton? no point denying it if you were going to after all you are one of the B&H PH association voices aren't you.

Lets look at Brighton, as Mark says his manor is very well run, and the reason for it? because Streamline took hold of the whole thing many years ago, their offices rival many call centre's in the country, you can get anything and everything you need from Streamline, from a business card to Insurance etc, now Streamline is a Hack company, but it also runs the PH as well, so you have a safe zone of knowing a rogue PHD won't get to work in Brighton again if he's found touting etc, this keeps the touting problem down as there is nowhere to go should you blot your book.

Now for the location, Brighton is London on Sea, the wealth accumulates there, there are poor folks also, but a lot of London money is spent there, so by Marks' own words Brighton is a very professional place for taxis, taxis that are regulated and hold good value, supported by a PH that knows it's a PHC and is also held accountable for bad practice, now as far as I know this model works very well in Brighton so why would anyone need to change things.

Now as said before, what works in one place doesn't always in another, so is it fair that one model is applied to all regardless of local condition's?

How would the Brighton trade feel if I decide to come down and set up a new PH office, only my PH office is full of recruits who are going to charge the customer £4 for what is a £6 fare right now, yes that's right I will move straight in and undercut the whole accepted system, word will go round and I will draw cars away to join me once they hear my drivers are taking 3X what they are, of course I'm not going to do that because it goes against my beliefs on how to do things, I believe in service, but I also believe in a proper rate for that service, cheap tatty cars with a 1999 fare scale doesn't appeal at all, but this could all happen in Brighton, and then you will know what other parts of the country face and how it impacts on the drivers.

So lets imagine Brighton de-regulate, all of a sudden all those PHC switch to Hacks, you now don't have enough rank space and the fighting about whose first etc starts, cars degrade due to lack of funds to repair and replace, and eventually anyone who had an idea who made it how it is today walks away and you are left with a rabble that doesn't know much about much.

The fact that you lot can't is your problem not society's.

Not so, the problem is with the council, for a long time they were testing foreign drivers with an interpreter sitting in, drivers that don't follow any rules and especially PH ones who seem to think they are Hacks and it's their right to sit outside pubs and clubs without a booking, and the one primary reason isn't a lack of cabs, it's one is 33% cheaper than the other if you actually get an honest driver, in a deprived area where unemployment is rife people will chance it to save a quid fifty, I know none of this is going to change your mind because that is impossible to do, that is well proven, but always remember, what goes around, comes around, and one day the bad news may come through your door, then you will know how others feel when others have been allowed to mess with their lives and income's, not a nice place to be I can assure you, wait until the foreign legion finds you and they will, then you'll know what competing with a workforce that does 18 hour days and tells their family back home how good it is and they must come, and I don't mean the Asians either, and you can only keep them out for so long, they are industrious and if they smell money they will arrive I assure you.

Brilliant!!! Totally brilliant!!

What would happen if I started a company in Brighton without a PH operator licence using out of town Hackneys only on a radio system?

Nothing anyone could do about it in Brighton is there?

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:02 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Er, well I don't think Dusty has enough brains to forumulate it, but I think it's just common sense that the more difficult it is to do a job then the higher the wage or salary will be.

By the same token, it stands to reason that the more difficult it is to get a taxi driver's badge the less drivers there will be, thus fewer drivers mean more fares.

That theory would soon be shot to pieces if Brighton had a dozen or more unlicensed radio systems all employing out of town Hackneys only!!!

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:10 pm 

Anyone who thinks Streamline Taxis are well run doesn't know much about the B&H trade. [-(

As for a PH company starting up charging lower fares, well bring them on. Be interested to see where they get their drivers from, unless they use non local drivers.

However for the record, the two local councils to B&H are Adur and Lewes. The biggest firm in Adur is owned by a large B&H firm, and the biggest firm in Lewes is owned by a large B&H firm. :lol:

My view is both those firms would love to lower the entry criteria for PH drivers, but thankfully it's not their decision.

Other areas may have drivers that sit around and moan but do f*** all about it, but that doesn't happen in my manor. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:29 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:
Does anywhere apart from London have a high entry criteria? Those that do seem to have forgotten to have much of a criteria at all when it comes to ph

In many manors entry criteria is the same for both sides of the trade, and in my area I believe the entry criteria is high, but like most places could be higher.

I doubt from a PH perspective their is anywhere in the country with a higher entry criteria than my manor.

We are top dog, on a par with our brothers driving black cabs in London.
:D

On a more serious note I suspect there is an equation indicating higher entry criteria leads to higher earnings.

And if that type of criteria is made national and not local, then the trades may have a future.

It certainly is not the case in Brum!!

So what is the criteria?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:40 pm 

It's ok I've googled it and read it :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Sussex wrote:

That theory would soon be shot to pieces if Brighton had a dozen or more unlicensed radio systems all employing out of town Hackneys only!!!

Er, it would affirm the theory, wouldn't it? :-k

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:29 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Anyone who thinks Streamline Taxis are well run doesn't know much about the B&H trade. [-(

As for a PH company starting up charging lower fares, well bring them on. Be interested to see where they get their drivers from, unless they use non local drivers.

However for the record, the two local councils to B&H are Adur and Lewes. The biggest firm in Adur is owned by a large B&H firm, and the biggest firm in Lewes is owned by a large B&H firm. :lol:

My view is both those firms would love to lower the entry criteria for PH drivers, but thankfully it's not their decision.

Other areas may have drivers that sit around and moan but do f*** all about it, but that doesn't happen in my manor. :wink:

That looks like the reply of a panicking man to me, I'll do em one by one

1 - It was a well organised firm last time I knew of it

2 - You won't be saying that later, and they will bring their own drivers as well, mainly from Romania,Bulgaria and all the former Yugoslavian new states, plus the odd Russian here and there, and that's before the Asians realise there is an opening available.

3 - Not right now it's not, but you wait until the Southern Skull's and JT's get into the council, all it takes is a few envelopes and a few friends and you'll be suprised what you can get these days.

4 - I never thought it would happen in my manor either, but it has, and your manor is a far more attractive proposition than mine could ever be.

Ok, lets stop ****ing around, what I've been trying to tell you all along is happening countrywide, and the way you want things to go Mark will rapidly increase it's arrival, all this get another job then thing is the same way of saying if you don't like it *off only a bit politer, which is the words of a man who doesn't have an answer to the problem tbh, I would say reading what you just posted B&H taxi trade will be 100% screwed within the next 5 years, the faces will change and so will the attitudes, just as you've always advocated de-restiction, the same tool will be your undoing in the end, too many drivers, too many baron's who own the too many cars that the too many drivers will drive, some of those drivers will put the public off using a cab for life as well, so it's lose,lose,lose in the end, and if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, you will by the time my world becomes your world, think yourself lucky that entry in a hack is £60k ? halve that amount and you will have 400 of your hacks foreign owned within 3 years, now imagine if it's a 17k WAV they only have to go get to get in, that's buy 1 get 2.5 free :wink:

You gotta wake up Mark, you have no idea what damage you are advocating be done in the name of fair trade, those 550 hacks you have now will be 2000 in no time at all, every curry shop owner will be licensing up, ever kebab house owner, all ready to send a man out to work who can live on £30 per day, because you can't you can't compete with it, and before you say oh but the test will keep them out, it won't they are far smarter than ppl give them credit for, they will also invoke special conditions that your council won't be able to fight, namely discrimination, rules will be bent and ignored once your local Liberal Councillor gets involved.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:25 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:

Would it?

:-k :-k :-k

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:37 am 

Doom wrote:

Do you really think that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

Would it?

:-k :-k :-k

What you're saying is that entry standards in Brighton could effectively be watered down or dismantled by the back door (no jokes about Brighton's pink community, please), thus depleting earnings, which surely proves the theory??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:57 am 
Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:

Do you really think that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, maybe not right now, but what Dusty just asked Brum is about the strength of it, it will happen and if that doesn't worry you, you obviously aren't doing the job on the same level as the rest of us, i.e you aren't dependent on it for a living for whatever circumstances and once it's trashed you'll walk away saying oh well it was good while it lasted etc, anyway I was trying to educate you there, whether you take note or not is entirely up to you but I think in a way you are playing a dangerous game myself, which of course you will sneer at, but a few years ago you might well have got away with upsetting 500+ hack owners, as those owners change from Brits to foreigner's you will find they aren't under the umbrella of the law and process, some of the fighting I've seen will make your toes curl up, so if you end up getting the blame for ruining their investment don't be surprised if you develop a 180 degree twitch, they work on a loyalty thing, if you are their friend they expect you to be a friend, if you let them down you get the other end of the spectrum, if you don't believe me I saw a Kurd and a Bangladeshi have a spat on the rank a couple of years ago resulting in the Bangladeshi being shown a knife, these people have come from places where things you couldn't imagine have happened and that's why a friend is considered a friend and an enemy an enemy, anyway, I've warned you how it is, if you choose to ignore that, that is your choice mate, and that's not a threat, that's advice because I think you work in much the same manner as a flippant tart does....oh it never happens to me and everyone else is the victim, a Brit who doesn't see anything other than other Brits leads a very blinkered life and in today's Britain that is a dangerous existence, unless you are connected to a mafia yourself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next