Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:28 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Er, it would affirm the theory, wouldn't it? :-k

Would it?

:-k :-k :-k

What you're saying is that entry standards in Brighton could effectively be watered down or dismantled by the back door (no jokes about Brighton's pink community, please), thus depleting earnings, which surely proves the theory??

Yes that's what I am saying, BUT which theory is being proved?

I don't understand that part of your post.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:41 pm 

Doom wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:
That looks like the reply of a panicking man to me, I'll do em one by one

Do you really think that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, maybe not right now, but what Dusty just asked Brum is about the strength of it, it will happen and if that doesn't worry you, you obviously aren't doing the job on the same level as the rest of us, i.e you aren't dependent on it for a living for whatever circumstances and once it's trashed you'll walk away saying oh well it was good while it lasted etc, anyway I was trying to educate you there, whether you take note or not is entirely up to you but I think in a way you are playing a dangerous game myself, which of course you will sneer at, but a few years ago you might well have got away with upsetting 500+ hack owners, as those owners change from Brits to foreigner's you will find they aren't under the umbrella of the law and process, some of the fighting I've seen will make your toes curl up, so if you end up getting the blame for ruining their investment don't be surprised if you develop a 180 degree twitch, they work on a loyalty thing, if you are their friend they expect you to be a friend, if you let them down you get the other end of the spectrum, if you don't believe me I saw a Kurd and a Bangladeshi have a spat on the rank a couple of years ago resulting in the Bangladeshi being shown a knife, these people have come from places where things you couldn't imagine have happened and that's why a friend is considered a friend and an enemy an enemy, anyway, I've warned you how it is, if you choose to ignore that, that is your choice mate, and that's not a threat, that's advice because I think you work in much the same manner as a flippant tart does....oh it never happens to me and everyone else is the victim, a Brit who doesn't see anything other than other Brits leads a very blinkered life and in today's Britain that is a dangerous existence, unless you are connected to a mafia yourself.

Mr Sussex, if you can't or don't relate to what Mr Doom has just posted, then you won't understand his post. And if you don't understand his post then believe me you do live and work in a closeted, secluded society.

I do understand his post; I'm living, breathing and working in such an environment.

If you don't understand his post, then I wish you as long as possible into the future in your own idylic world! Good luck and may it long continue!!

But be sure that some time in the not too distant future, your manor will join our manors and many others like them around the country and decend into chaos and anarchy as far as the 'taxi' trades are concerned.

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:08 pm 

Say you are both right, and the financial viability of my local trade is in doubt, will panicking help me out? :?

If it happens, it happens. However I don't think it will.

But thanks for the concern. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:09 pm 

So, the Taxi Trade is going to the Dogs! What's new. It was always thus.

Which is the worse scenario. Taxi Fleets owned by Robber Barons who employ Namibians to drive for them and pay peanuts, or every Tom, Dick and Harry buying their own car and working, God knows how many hours, to make ends meet.

As Ayr has deregulated, I must support the latter as I bought my WAV 16 months ago and, at the present, appear to be netting about £22,000pa (after running costs) for a 50 hour week that does not interfere with my Curling habit.

As an example, Ayr deregulated the Licensing Trade a few years back. Because there were a limited number of Premises, each generated considerable "Good Will" which, of course, evaporated after Deregulation. Then there was a period when every local Wide Boy converted his shed into a Hostelry of some kind or another, and now there are a number of empty Pubs and Restaurants available to the market but with few buyers. However, as far as I can make out, the speed of turnover of Owners is about the same. e.g. Just over 2 years, Start to Bust, for about 80% of the new operators.

At least there is a Used Car Market for most Taxi Drivers that want to get out.

p.s. I've done the wage slave bit. £5.00 an hour + Tips. Not as much as I'm currently earning but fairly stress free.

It's all down to what you make of it that counts, we have our Misery Guts's here as well, nothing will ever please them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:32 pm 
Eddie, Ayr is a small place in Scotland, nobody has heard of it so you benefit in the way that numbers won't flood because nobody thinks it's worth it, a niche in other words, if you are taking 30k+ pa gross you are doing extremely well, is that with a radio or indy btw?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:42 pm 

Indy but with a reasonable customer base from earlier business venture

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:46 pm 
wee eddie wrote:
Indy but with a reasonable customer base from earlier business venture

So it's fair to say other Ayr cabbies won't be doing this sort of take then?

Sounds like you have a sugar daddy account, and today thats no bad thing mate :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:19 am 

Doom wrote:
Eddie, Ayr is a small place in Scotland, nobody has heard of it...

Rubbish, I went to Butlins in Ayr, although it was about 40 years ago. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:21 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Doom wrote:
Eddie, Ayr is a small place in Scotland, nobody has heard of it...

now that... explains a lot :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:21 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:

I'll give you that one =D> :badgrin:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:41 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
What you're saying is that entry standards in Brighton could effectively be watered down or dismantled by the back door (no jokes about Brighton's pink community, please), thus depleting earnings, which surely proves the theory??

I thought there was only one in theory in play?

Brighton has high entry standards, thus better earnings.

It's possible that someone could flood Brighton with HCs plated in a low standards area, driving down earnings, thus affirming the theory in the other direction. But as things stands to all intents and purposes Brighton is a high standards area.

There's no doubt that immigration has been a huge factor as regards the economics of the trade in some areas - as is self-evident in other sectors of the economy as well - but areas/sectors with high entry standards will not be quite so affected by the influx of immigrant labour that's fundamentally changed the economics in many areas.

Compare the London HC trade to the London PH trade, for example. Look at the difference the KOL has made. In some areas immigration has changed the, er, face of the trade completely and in areas where it hasn't then I suspect you'll find higher entry standards (assuming there's a significant pool of immigrant labour in any area being considered, because if there isn't then obviously things won't have changed significantly, even if standards are low).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:44 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:

I thought there was only one in theory in play?

Brighton has high entry standards, thus better earnings.

It's possible that someone could flood Brighton with HCs plated in a low standards area, driving down earnings, thus affirming the theory in the other direction. But as things stands to all intents and purposes Brighton is a high standards area.

There's no doubt that immigration has been a huge factor as regards the economics of the trade in some areas - as is self-evident in other sectors of the economy as well - but areas/sectors with high entry standards will not be quite so affected by the influx of immigrant labour that's fundamentally changed the economics in many areas.

Compare the London HC trade to the London PH trade, for example. Look at the difference the KOL has made. In some areas immigration has changed the, er, face of the trade completely and in areas where it hasn't then I suspect you'll find higher entry standards (assuming there's a significant pool of immigrant labour in any area being considered, because if there isn't then obviously things won't have changed significantly, even if standards are low).

I agree with what you have written!

And long may Brighton and London, as examples, try to maintan high entry standards for both vehicle and driver and thus provide decent earnings for drivers.

But the long term reality is that a high standard area surrounded by lower standard areas will not survive that way and vehicles and drivers from lower standard neighbouring areas will infiltrate the premier area offering lower fares and thus undermining the standards in areas like Brighton. (I don't think it can happen in London as they have different legislation).

Lower fares will in time compromise Brighton's own fleet, because lower fares means lower earnings, means skimping on vehicle maintenance and the whole viscious cirle starts to spiral.

And as you know it is far easier for a licensing authority to maintan lower standards than higher ones; most councils 'can't be ar$ed'.

Now if the new proposed legislation were to bring in three-monthly vehicle testing by VOSA to a high national standard for all hire and reward vehicles on a national basis, together with documentary evidence at each inspection of regular vehicle maintenance, then your theory [which is correct] that high standards of vehicle will bring high earnings to drivers will not only be maintained in Brighton, but hopefully, nationally too.

Then Brighton would not have a problem maintaining the 'status quo'.

And as for immigration, it does not really bother me as far as earning a living is concerned. I will always compete with whoever. But the massive numbers influx we have had into the trades in Brum over the last decade or more has created a situation that standards have plummeted because the numbers are too big over an enormous area and no agency could cope adequately.

It is the lowering of standards caused by the huge numbers now in the trade that is the real problem, with drivers of brand new licensed vehicles trying to compete for take home pay with proprietor of vehicles that are 15 and 20 years old.

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:06 am 

Sussex wrote:
Say you are both right, and the financial viability of my local trade is in doubt, will panicking help me out? :?

If it happens, it happens. However I don't think it will.

But thanks for the concern. :wink:

It is your belief that de-regulation is the best way forward that we are challenging.

In your manor it works at the moment because of high entry standards.

But the Law Commission want a 'de-regulatory framework' and I think that not only means numbers, but the abolition of standards and loops that currently have to be jumped through.

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:49 am 

I have to laugh when I have been reading this..... everything that I have read or been told by the Department of Transport over the last 15 years regarding change in the taxi industry is because of places like Brighton.... they are the real problem.... artificially restricting drivers from work under European law.. deliberately placing artificial barriers...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:46 pm 

MR T wrote:
I have to laugh when I have been reading this..... everything that I have read or been told by the Department of Transport over the last 15 years regarding change in the taxi industry is because of places like Brighton.... they are the real problem.... artificially restricting drivers from work under European law.. deliberately placing artificial barriers...

I thought that was Sefton :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next