Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:29 am 

A fixed number of Plates, controlled by a few (Robber) Barons. Because after a while, in any such system, a Plate becoming available will be bought by one successful Company or another, never again to be released on the Open Market.

or

Far too many Taxis, because any Tom, Dick or Harry, who reckons that he can afford the payments, has bought himself a Skoda or a T4.

Those seem to be the choices.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:24 am 

wee eddie wrote:
Far too many Taxis, because any Tom, Dick or Harry, who reckons that he can afford the payments, has bought himself a Skoda or a T4.

That would be my choice. I run a small fleet but I would still like drivers to be able to have the choice. There is no restriction on plates in my Borough but most of the drivers still prefer to rent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:27 am 

So ~ Which is the better/worse?

It should be drivers that decide for themselves.

If they want to jockey a PH, if they want to buy and run a PH, let them decide for themselves.

If they want to jockey a taxi, if they want to buy and a run a taxi, let them decide for themselves without having to pay many 10s of 1000s for a plate.

If those drivers end up earning f*** all, then so be it.

If those drivers end up making a good living without having to give large chunks of their takings to someone sat at home watching the telly, then so be it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:32 pm 

Sussex wrote:
So ~ Which is the better/worse?

It should be drivers that decide for themselves.

If they want to jockey a PH, if they want to buy and run a PH, let them decide for themselves.

If they want to jockey a taxi, if they want to buy and a run a taxi, let them decide for themselves without having to pay many 10s of 1000s for a plate.

If those drivers end up earning f*** all, then so be it.

If those drivers end up making a good living without having to give large chunks of their takings to someone sat at home watching the telly, then so be it.

What is your view of non Taxi People being given a free plate in the annual council lottery and then immediately selling it on at substantial profit to support said lifestyle in front of telly?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:27 pm 

I heard our PH mate in Brighton, after years on the waiting list was given a free Taxi plate in this restricted area, and promptly sold it on for £10's of thousands...do you think he enjoys his time in front of the telly? thinking "If those drivers end up earning f*** all, then so be it" Sod em, I'm OK Jack!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 pm 

Nemisis wrote:
What is your view of non Taxi People being given a free plate in the annual council lottery and then immediately selling it on at substantial profit to support said lifestyle in front of telly?

My view is that all the time plates have a value, and you are legally allowed to transfer them, then it's down to the owner what he wants to do with it.

However if plates have no value then your big problem wont exist. Welcome to my gang.

However part 2, as you have spent the last 10 years licking the bums of the London trade, who happen to be de-limited, I couldn't give a f*** what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:05 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Nemisis wrote:

My view is that all the time plates have a value, and you are legally allowed to transfer them, then it's down to the owner what he wants to do with it.

However if plates have no value then your big problem wont exist. Welcome to my gang.

However part 2, as you have spent the last 10 years licking the bums of the London trade, who happen to be de-limited, I couldn't give a f*** what you think.

So it's ok to do it if it's yourself selling, but you have a problem with it generally? isn't this known as hypocrisy ?

Plates having a value isn't a big problem, someone wants in someone wants out, where's the problem? same way a street barrow changes hands, barrow was originally given out free, don't see anyone campaigning for change in barrow business do you?

Last line looks nasty, reads very much like shut up you're exposing me again, not what I expect from you Mark, I thought you had the intellect to converse sensibly with people on forums? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:11 pm 

Doom wrote:
So it's ok to do it if it's yourself selling, but you have a problem with it generally? isn't this known as hypocrisy ?

I don't have a problem with people selling what is theirs.

I do have a problem with the legislation that allows this.

Do away with one and the other goes as well.

F*** knows where you get this hypocrisy issue from. :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:13 pm 

Doom wrote:
Last line looks nasty, reads very much like shut up you're exposing me again, not what I expect from you Mark, I thought you had the intellect to converse sensibly with people on forums? :roll:

I've got a lot of time for a lot of people on this forum and on others, and for that matter loads of folks who sensibly stay away from this internet lark.

However if someone is a bum licking ****, then I will tell him that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:33 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:

I've got a lot of time for a lot of people on this forum and on others, and for that matter loads of folks who sensibly stay away from this internet lark.

However if someone is a bum licking ****, then I will tell him that.

Fair enough, I like honest people myself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:

I don't have a problem with people selling what is theirs.

I do have a problem with the legislation that allows this.

Do away with one and the other goes as well.

F*** knows where you get this hypocrisy issue from. :?

I didn't mean you personally, but there was a post here that reads very much like someone got issued free and then blagged it on the way to the rank first day, and you appeared to think that was ok.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 am 

Doom wrote:
I didn't mean you personally, but there was a post here that reads very much like someone got issued free and then blagged it on the way to the rank first day, and you appeared to think that was ok.

But what difference does it make if they sell what is theirs on day one, or day 1001? :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:55 am 

Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:

But what difference does it make if they sell what is theirs on day one, or day 1001? :?

Exactly. It makes no difference, except in the minds of those who support restriction.

There are many things in this world I don't agree with - the TV licence and council tax, for example.
I still pay them though, and will do so until they are abolished.

If the system allows the selling of plates, why should the only beneficiaries be those who agree with it?
Hypocrisy, IMHO, would be holding on to the plate and changing your tune to that of the restrictionist.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:04 am 
@ Sussex

It's not that, it's the fact that a man can speak one way when it's about everyone else, but differently when it's about him, if I advocated de-regulation I would not be able to condone selling a plate, but you seem to think otherwise.

@ Gus

TV license I agree with, but Council Tax, c'mon if you abolish it whose going to pay for schools and hospitals etc, lower it maybe because it's way too high, but even though it's a bind, it is a necessary evil.

And all the time PH is unrestricted there is no real restriction, it just seems to put some backs up that there is a value, this is the real problem it's the same as the green eyes that key a red car.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:26 pm 

Doom wrote:
@ Sussex

It's not that, it's the fact that a man can speak one way when it's about everyone else, but differently when it's about him, if I advocated de-regulation I would not be able to condone selling a plate, but you seem to think otherwise.

Big difference between condoning something and not condemning it.

The law allows it, once the law is changed the problem goes.