Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:53 am 

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/201 ... p_on_cabs/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:56 am 
Can we have Bob Price and David Williams on the cab reform panel, at last some people in position who have a set of working eyes and brains, shame to see the predictable Lib Dem bloke is having to be Lib Dem in having to oppose anything anyone else suggests, how typical.

I'm rather pleased with this story, it shows me that there are still some people in office that aren't up themselves to the degree where they think they know better than those who do the job, big ups for you Bob for having the vision of avoiding chaos.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:05 pm 

Doom wrote:
I'm rather pleased with this story, it shows me that there are still some people in office that aren't up themselves to the degree where they think they know better than those who do the job, big ups for you Bob for having the vision of avoiding chaos.

Well actually he does think he knows better and has decided before any SUD survey that the cap will remain.

In law that's called 'fettering his discretion', and the courts really don't like that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:59 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:

Well actually he does think he knows better and has decided before any SUD survey that the cap will remain.

In law that's called 'fettering his discretion', and the courts really don't like that.

Fair comment, but he obviously feels a SUD isn't required as only Stevie Wonder won't know there are 25 cabs in a line waiting for a customer most of the time, bottom line is though he has used his eyes and seen how it is and what it would become if he opened the gates, and I have to applaud the man for looking after the existing trade rather than busting it wide open and ending up with parking,pollution and squabbling issues to deal with in future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:11 am 

he only has to look as far as the PHV in oxford, one company in particular has taken any one off the banana boat, so what happens? they sit around waiting an hour for a job, and at the weekend they just try to take the black cabs work......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:43 am 

187ums wrote:
he only has to look as far as the PHV in oxford, one company in particular has taken any one off the banana boat, so what happens? they sit around waiting an hour for a job, and at the weekend they just try to take the black cabs work......

Does that not tell you that there is something wrong with the driver standard requirements within the ph industry there, perhaps the trade would be better off pushing for higher standards in that side of the trade :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 pm 

toots wrote:
Does that not tell you that there is something wrong with the driver standard requirements within the ph industry there, perhaps the trade would be better off pushing for higher standards in that side of the trade :wink:

But the hackney trade need an endless supply of drivers to make sure those cabs are manned 24/7 to help pay for the £100,000+ premiums.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 pm 
Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:

But the hackney trade need an endless supply of drivers to make sure those cabs are manned 24/7 to help pay for the £100,000+ premiums.

UM.....NO!

Show me where a plate is 100k + to buy?

I wouldn't touch a PH jockey unless I knew that driver and I could be confident of getting the same car back each day and his rent at the end of each week.

It's the PH barons who are the real villians in this, try a training camp in foreign lands if you really want to see whose taking advantage, not rumour either, LO confirmed to me they are sitting the knowledge online in countries like Hungary,Poland,Romania etc, they then get shipped here where they get a full time car and a room for £350 pw, not one hack owner involved in this btw, purely PH, he also stated he doesn't expect there to be any British names on licenses within the next ten years, so good old Brit Boy can have what he thinks is a cheaper cab, but by the time the overcharge rates are applied it will be an expensive evening out, and best say ta ta to the cash being handed over cos it's off on a foreign holiday never to be seen again on these shores, it'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:13 am 

Doom wrote:
Show me where a plate is 100k + to buy?

Well as this is Mr 187ums' thread so I will allow him to confirm.

Last time he mentioned plate prices in Oxford I think he said one went for over £100,000.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:14 am 

Doom wrote:
I wouldn't touch a PH jockey unless I knew that driver and I could be confident of getting the same car back each day and his rent at the end of each week.

Are you saying you would therefore touch a hackney jockey under your same criteria? :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:47 am 
Absolutely, I don't do drivers anyway I think they are a false economy myself.

Extra tax
Extra miles resulting in quicker car renewal
Accident risk where NCB is lost resulting in large premium increase
Liability to pay up on quiet weeks
Having to buy second car for own transport while cab isn't available
Larger servicing bills
Worry factor when it's out in the hands of someone who doesn't give a fig about it

For my money having a driver is probably the worst decision you could make if you want to avoid having to use hair colour products.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:11 pm 

I dont think the issue here is the value of the plate. The issue here is that if the caps came off the place will be flooded with hacks looking for work that isnt there.

Doom is correct, the PHV barons have taken on just about anybody that comes off the banana boat, people with two jobs see it as an extra income earner. I know of one PHV Baron who boasts that he has over 250 cars working for him, even thats not enough.

Basically the market is already saturated, and the council has it correct, do a survey, if more cabs are required, put them on.

People think that in de reg land everything is fine and dandy, they hark on about quality control, the reality is that in all these places it hasnt worked.

Sheffield - Birmingham - the poor guys in Dublin I could go on and on......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:28 pm 
187ums wrote:
I dont think the issue here is the value of the plate. The issue here is that if the caps came off the place will be flooded with hacks looking for work that isnt there.

Doom is correct, the PHV barons have taken on just about anybody that comes off the banana boat, people with two jobs see it as an extra income earner. I know of one PHV Baron who boasts that he has over 250 cars working for him, even thats not enough.

Basically the market is already saturated, and the council has it correct, do a survey, if more cabs are required, put them on.

People think that in de reg land everything is fine and dandy, they hark on about quality control, the reality is that in all these places it hasnt worked.

Right on the money, first class observant post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:35 pm 

187ums wrote:

Why stop at 250 cars when you can have 2000. Push for higher standards on the ph side unless of course you think it's better to feel superior to them :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:56 pm 
toots wrote:
187ums wrote:

Why stop at 250 cars when you can have 2000. Push for higher standards on the ph side unless of course you think it's better to feel superior to them :wink:

I don't know if this is national but I spoke with my LO and suggested no license for anyone whose not been resident for at least 2 years, this would be to not alienate the foreign person who came of his own accord, but to stop the liars lying to others in other countries, he said they had no control and were issuing badges to to people who'd passed online from another country, iirc when I applied I had to be resident and hols a UK license for 12 mths, somewhere along the line this has gone and now slave traders are in Europe recruiting anyone and everyone who will listen to their spin, it makes me wanna step above and go Camorra on them tbh, they are the same type that injects heroin into women to make them into sex slaves, no regard for anyone but themselves, as a colonial gentleman would put it CRACKERS, I thought the world had moved on from this, obviously I'm wrong and the cheaper it can be the better in the eyes of the liberty takers.

Still you get 70 years on earth, and an eternity in hell, I hope the liberty takers have good hands and a quality shovel.