Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:00 am 

In fact, the only people I see making more money will be those who do the surveys :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:11 am 
@ Gus

So we are in agreement that multiple plate holding is out of order?

Locally the largest HC Baron holds 7 and they are all WAV's and were issued during our de-reg period, he himself is not a bad bloke and the cars cost almost what he charges for hiore of the cab each week as he likes them to be 1 driver 24/7 cars, on PH there are 6 people some of whom are in partnership with each other that account for 500 out of 999 PHC's licensed, these are the baron's and should de-reg come again it will mean a HC fleet of around a 1000 by the time the mush that thinks it's getting something of value for nothing licenses up as well, one baron has recently put 100 PHC's on in the area and surrounding, he had 15 WAV's on order a few years ago when he though there was going to be another issue, all these cars are driven by migrants who are being licensed and tested in their own countries before getting cattle shipped over here, perhaps if I tell them how great Aberdeen is they will come flood you out and then you'll be singing a different tune.

Making anything freely available makes it easier to abuse not prevent it, even you should be able to see that, and getting back to the Chi issue, those 57 hacks do not have 113k of potential punters, one has been in and told you how bad it is, woodland and motorways don't make for busy cabs mate, no matter how large the area may be the actual working area is very small, put together it wouldn't run from the West Pier to the Palace Pier in Brighton, that is how small a window they have in that area, it's not a city, it's a small leafy place, and the rest of the area is even smaller, plus you have Arun council licensed PHC's covering most of it anyway.

You are unique btw, you are the only hack OD I've ever heard be in favour of de-regulation?

Now I've written you a non abusive answer here, so I'll expect a rational answer in return.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 am 

Doom wrote:
You are unique btw, you are the only hack OD I've ever heard be in favour of de-regulation?

And how many non local hackney owner drivers in restricted areas do you know? :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:50 am 

Doom wrote:

:roll: Derestriction, or delimitation, actually. And you obviously haven't 'heard' much at all in that regard.

Great response from gusmac in this thead, by the way. Thought he'd gone very quiet on restricted numbers since the issue of re-restricting Aberdeen reared its head in the spring, but he's clearly back with avengence =D>

I agree with a lot of what you say as well Doom, but quite what restricted numbers has to do with I don't know, unless it's just the protected position it affords yourself that does it for you.

I mean, many of the HC trades have been destroyed in the same way by the processes you describe, except of course that it suits those who hold the plates and affords them an elevated position and status as compared to the rest of the trade.

If you're a jockey in the likes of Liverpool - where most HCs are controlled by non-drivers - and the trade is flooded with new drivers then it's hardly a comfort to know that the plateholders are benefitting from more rental fodder while there are more drivers competing with you on the ranks.

Oh, aye, and the point you made the other day about people like myself buying cheapskate motors is also rubbish. My saloon was 20k's worth when I bought it new, and my last motor was the newest in the local trade when I put it on, albeit it was second hand.

Meanwhile, some of the restricted HCs I know are the likes of ten-year-old Astras and Focuses, FFS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:07 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Doom wrote:

And how many non local hackney owner drivers in restricted areas do you know? :?

I have no idea what that question is asking tbh

Do you mean how many OD's that hold a license that don't live anywhere nead the area they are licensed to?

If so, locally you have to live within 10 miles to hold a license, but even that can be got around.

If you guys want someone to help remove the blatant abusers of the job then I'm all for that, hence why it rankiles me that people hold multiple licenses and don't drive, but taking away entry restrictions is not going to help remove those people, it will only make life easier for them.

Locally the rules were with a HC plate like this

Full UK license 1 year
Resident UK 1 year
Saloon 1 licence per applicant only
License holder must drive the car min 28 hrs pw
Car must be under 6 yrs old saloon with 2 yr extention for cars meeting the standard
Car must be brand new WAV at first license, 12 year license span when de-regulatated
Car must be under 6 yrs old WAV when regulated and max 12 year life span from 1st reg on V5

Now it seems to be just the saloon rules apply, and someone who was living in Latvia yesterday can drive in the UK today, on what has happened in PH if we were de-regulated again there would be nothing but traffic chaos with lines and lines of cars that there is simply nowhere for them to rank, it's bad enough now, and that is why the council re-regulated again as drivers couldn't earn a living at the time, tbh plate value isn't an issue to me, I'm just trying to preserve the small part of being able to earn a living and nobody buys one with ooh I'll make a few bob selling it on like a house in mind, managed growth I can live with, as too small an amount of cabs leads to losing custom if the wait times are too long, but I've yet to see waiting times reach a level that is unacceptable tbh, so instead of campaigning for wide open doors why don't you chaps campaign for managed growth, that way when you get over supply it's nipped in the bud before it becomes too over supplied?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:01 pm 

Doom wrote:
nobody buys one with ooh I'll make a few bob selling it on like a house in mind

Slight exaggeration there. Lots of people basically see HC plates as a way to make money, and driving and/or making a living is a secondary consideration.

Quote:
managed growth I can live with, as too small an amount of cabs leads to losing custom if the wait times are too long, but I've yet to see waiting times reach a level that is unacceptable tbh, so instead of campaigning for wide open doors why don't you chaps campaign for managed growth, that way when you get over supply it's nipped in the bud before it becomes too over supplied

Problem is that most of the places where managed growth has occured the main growth being managed has been PH numbers and HC plate premiums. :lol:

By the way, some of the conditions that you mention above are probably illegal, but I suspect others many know more about that than me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:22 pm 
"Slight exaggeration there. Lots of people basically see HC plates as a way to make money, and driving and/or making a living is a secondary consideration. "

Thats true in the renter baron scenario, but nobody buys one thinking it's going to be worth 10k more next year, I think you should move here Dusty and see how what you and Sussex suggest will fail, I don't think any of the issues I mention have knocked your door yet, but when they do you'll know why I think like I do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:31 pm 

Well perhaps none think it'll be worth £10k more after a year, but I suspect the vast majority hope so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:21 pm 

Why exactly would you not want a buisness to be worth more ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:19 am 
blackpool wrote:
Why exactly would you not want a buisness to be worth more ?

Mate, be quiet the KGB will see this, and you spouting anti communism speel out in the open will get you gulag, Herr Gusmac and Sussex along with SS officer AliT will have you gased for suggesting anything profit orientated. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:48 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:53 am 

Sussex wrote:

Relevence?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:58 am 

Either like a good spy he has his ear to the ground or like a good sussex he's fainted again :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:18 am 

captain cab wrote:

It's the wrong beer :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next