Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:47 pm 

John Davies wrote:
Yes the proliferation of asians buying in has increased year on year, in the last 4 years it has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. However if they wish to spend silly money on what theoreticaly is a gamble then that is their decision.

See that's the problem new entrants to the trade have.

The informed i.e. directors/shareholders of taxi firms, and those with experience in the trade, have panic sold in the last few years, to the ill-informed i.e. ethnic drivers, and those with no sense.

This is one reson why I feel the phased de-limit wont happen, cos we will have more of the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:44 pm 

John,
It was the 1994 Judicial review I referred to. The judge agreed that the council were "guilty" of turning policy on its head and though restating that an elected council had the necessary power to delimit/deregulate that it should only be done with consultation and furthermore that consultation had to be meaningful.
Perhaps I am getting confused with the passage of time I am talking about the case started by affadavit signed by Pat Connor, is this the one to which you refer?
The people representing the cabs to which you referred to by initials I am guessing at ,could you let me know who they were?
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:48 pm 
Ged,

The only judicial review that took place regarding that 1994 issue was the one I mentioned in 92/93. The trade has never had another one since. If my memory serves me well I think Pat was involved to some extent but it was BJ who was the main petitioner. Milton Firman of Burton Copeland was the solicitor who dealt with the case. You will have to ask Pat if he was involved in any other legal case, if he was i'm fairly certain it wasn't a judicial review regarding Taxi numbers.

We disscussed legal action over the roof signs in 1993 but as far as I can remember it never went any further.

With regard to the initials? I specifically omitted their full names because I don't think it right that they should be named publicly without their consent. With public figures its a little different. Pat will tell you who they are if you ask him.

Best wishes

John Davies
Manchester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:17 pm 

John,
Understood. I had another look and leafing through old minutes I was able to put names to the initials.
I do not get to see Pat much these days he only works evenings and I am long gone by then.
Why have we never met up?
my guess is you work the town but even so I should know you,unless of course you have one of the many nicknames that abound in the trade.
Ged

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9