Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:54 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Thats what I've been trying to point out all day.....drivers are doing more hours for the same money....probably less.

You are pointing out the reality that the recession has led to fewer punters which means drivers wishing to earn the same amount of money have to work longer. I agree.

My point, and I think the other lads are alluding to it, is that by working longer hours, if you want to earn the same amount, you must carry on working even longer hours as time goes on, as the other drivers are also working longer hours.

So in effect it will lead to drivers never earning what they need no matter how many hours they work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:58 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Thats what I've been trying to point out all day.....drivers are doing more hours for the same money....probably less.

You are pointing out the reality that the recession has led to fewer punters which means drivers wishing to earn the same amount of money have to work longer. I agree.

My point, and I think the other lads are alluding to it, is that by working longer hours, if you want to earn the same amount, you must carry on working even longer hours as time goes on, as the other drivers are also working longer hours.

So in effect it will lead to drivers never earning what they need no matter how many hours they work.

Well at least somebody gets it :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:59 pm 

Quote:
Yes it's quiet. I never said it wasn't.

How can I put this in a way your restricted mind can take in?

100 drivers all want to make £50 for their day and are prepared to stick it out until they do.
For that to happen, there has to be at least £5000 of work.
The bad news, there is only £3500 of work in total. (Yes, it's very quiet )
On average, if they all work the same hours, they will make £35 each.
It doesn't matter if they all work 12 hours or 24 for that matter, so long as they all work the same amount of hours.
Now, some of them may get lucky and make their £50. Others will only make £20. But they will still only make £3500 between them.

The really bad news is that not only is there not enough work out there for drivers to earn what they need but at any given time that £3500 between 100 drivers can become £3500 between 110 drivers :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:14 pm 

Sussex wrote:

But it is a point that isnt actually a reality.

If a person needs £50 on a certain day, he will work till he gets it......because if he doesnt his children will starve, or he wont make the payment on his cab, or any manner of differing things.

CC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:21 pm 

captain cab wrote:
gusmac wrote:

No sarcasm CC, just pure astonishment.
You really don't have a clue. I'm debating with an intellectual dwarf. :shock:
At least I was, now I just don't think your worth the effort.

If you're the best this trade has, we're all fekked.

pmsl

You are seriously in denial, if you seriously think taxi drivers dont work more hours when their takings are low you must be a buffoon.

CC

The only buffoon here is you.

I know drivers work more hours when takings are down.
I've been saying that if they all do it, then it's for no gain.

captain cab wrote:

CC

No, feckwit, that's what I've been saying all day.
You seem to have changed your tune, however. :roll:

captain cab wrote:

But the point is a fact.....except in re-regulated Aberdeen and of course always regulated Dustyland.....where apparently all drivers completely co-operate, have strict hours and go home so not to harm the income of the next shift Image

CC

Yes it's a fact, one which I'm glad you have belatedly acknowledged.
It's also a fact in still derestricted Aberdeen.
Can't talk for Dustyland, but I would imagine it's no different to anywhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 pm 

captain cab wrote:

If a person needs £50 on a certain day, he will work till he gets it......because if he doesnt his children will starve, or he wont make the payment on his cab, or any manner of differing things.

But he wont be able to do that every day, or if he does then others will have to work longer, thus it might take him two days to do. Of course he will get his £50, but he wont be able to get his weekly or monthly money.

But what if he needs £150 for that bill, will he be able to work 24 hours to get it?

I will go back to the 48 hour week issue that I mentioned earlier, which is sort of the reverse of what we are discussing here.

If drivers can only work for 48 hours then everyone would be a hell of a lot busier than they are at present. Thus we could well earn what we need in less hours than at present. Thus the theory mentioned by Dusty and Gusmac applies as the same number of customers and drivers will remain static.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:32 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

CC

It's an undeniable fact that if there isn't £50 to be made, his kids will still starve and he still won't make the payment on his cab.
Just as your cabbie from earlier on will still be contemplating suicide. He'll just be doing it in his cab.

Emotion won't generate any new work, neither will every cabbie working twice as long.
They will just cut each others' throats and be no better off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 pm 

Slightly off the tit for tat but how exactly would more taxis help this ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:11 pm 

blackpool wrote:

I'm not sure more taxis is the issue, more over the amount of time drivers spend in them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 pm 

Sussex wrote:
blackpool wrote:

I'm not sure more taxis is the issue, more over the amount of time drivers spend in them.

If there are more taxis on the road then that is the issue because as stated earlier there's only so much work out there

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:14 am 

wow I'm getting tag teamed :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:22 am 

Ouch Gusmac, the deregulation merchant from regulated (or soon to be regulated) Aberdeen.....I called you buffoon first, although I may raise buffoon with possibly window licker.

I'm saying a cab driver.....yes an owner driver has a specific target in mind when he goes to work......the majority I know stay at work till they reach that target.......if you want me to send out the reasons why they shouldnt, I'd be delighted, although I think they starving to death argument may currently hold sway.

CC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:25 am 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:
The point you are making is one that those in favour of de-limitation can use.

But the point is a fact.....except in re-regulated Aberdeen and of course always regulated Dustyland.....where apparently all drivers completely co-operate, have strict hours and go home so not to harm the income of the next shift Image

What a load of shecht.

I didn't say anything of the kind. I just made the observation that less work means drivers work longer hours, meaning less jobs per hour for everyone.

I certainly didn't say it was anyone's fault or that anything could be done about it, it was just an observation about how the trade works and how less work is made worse by drivers working more hours, further diluting the amount of work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 am 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Of course, in a real world scenario the likelihood is that at quieter times some will work more hours, and some will work the same as normal.

So the drivers working more hours can perhaps maintain their earnings, while those working the same hours suffer a double whammy - less work because it's quiet, and this is made worse by the other drivers who work more hours. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:30 am 

So that begs the question dusty in your dream of deristricted utopia how would we be better off ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next