Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Refreshing The Memory
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:06 pm 
http://www.taxiforums.co.uk/Home/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

So new members can see the length of time this has been going on, it actually pre-dates the thread tbh but have a read anyway, I think the message has grown even stronger now, de-regulation is the way to increase faces and reduce quality, as seen at a rank near you all over the UK.

Found this as well, not related but a good read anyway if you read it right through, posts 13-15 are very interesting 2007 dated

http://www.taxiforums.co.uk/Home/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:52 am 

Interesting how London is always avoided in these arguments...or the classic...London is "different" #-o

Again just come clean and admit its about retaining plate premiums.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:49 am 
taxeman wrote:
Interesting how London is always avoided in these arguments...or the classic...London is "different" #-o

Again just come clean and admit its about retaining plate premiums.

But is though? for me it's about not having to be controlled by a PH office, if I'm going to spend £200 pw giving myself a job I'm not having the person I'm paying it to telling me when I can work etc.

And to let you know why for real, it's not about the premium, it's about not having another 500 idiots to contend with on getting onto limited rank space, which has happened in every single city that de-regulation has arrived at.

But even then should it arrive I have a plan B that is going to ruffle local feathers, especially when I take it all away from them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:38 pm 

Doom: In every Town and City in the UK.

The Ranks that have access to the largest Market (lots of potential Fares) are too small and the Ranks that have no, or few, potential customers are empty of Taxis.

After all, who in their right mind is going to sit on a Rank that has One Fare every hour or so, when they can queue at a Rank where there is a Fare every few Minutes.

That's life and has absolutely nothing to do with Deregulation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:09 pm 

Doom wrote:
And to let you know why for real, it's not about the premium, it's about not having another 500 idiots to contend with on getting onto limited rank space, which has happened in every single city that de-regulation has arrived at.

Any Tom, Dick and Harry getting off the ferry at Dover can't just fill in a form and drive a London Hackney. London puts the value in the driver instead of the plate.
Most limited LAs put the value in the plate and none in the driver, result is too many drivers competing for a limited number of plates.
The plates change hands for silly sums and are rented out to which ever drivers are prepared to pay the most and take home the least.
That's great news for the plate holders who make good dough exploiting the desperation of the drivers.

When the LA delimits, they have already got loads of drivers who will then plate their own motors instead of wetting the beaks of the profiteers.
Result is too many taxis trying to work a market which is limited by customer demand.

The solution is simple.
Stop dishing out badges to anyone who applies and make getting one an achievement.

Must speak good English
Must be able to count change
Must have a checkable background
Must have the right to work in the UK
Must hold a UK licence for at least 12 months
Must have a good knowledge of the area he intends to work.
Must not use a satnav device within his own LA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:37 pm 

gusmac wrote:

The solution is simple.
Stop dishing out badges to anyone who applies and make getting one an achievement.

Must speak good English

=D>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:23 pm 
Gus, those are all good suggestions, but keeping them inforced will be as difficult as stopping illegal pick up's I'm afraid, money talks, the local Baron has just put 6 Renault NX full cab spec vans on anticipating he's going to be able to spray them soon and get HC plates for them, and this bloke won't stop there either, what starts as 6 will be 200 before 2015.

If it could be held up properly the most obvious thing that needs to happen is if you hold the license you drive the thing, one man one plate, but they will side step that by licensing in the drivers name, you can't really win with it, the abusers are in our trade and it doesn't look like they are leaving anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:55 pm 

Doom wrote:
Gus, those are all good suggestions, but keeping them inforced will be as difficult as stopping illegal pick up's I'm afraid, money talks, the local Baron has just put 6 Renault NX full cab spec vans on anticipating he's going to be able to spray them soon and get HC plates for them, and this bloke won't stop there either, what starts as 6 will be 200 before 2015.

If it could be held up properly the most obvious thing that needs to happen is if you hold the license you drive the thing, one man one plate, but they will side step that by licensing in the drivers name, you can't really win with it, the abusers are in our trade and it doesn't look like they are leaving anytime soon.

Gus is right ffs....those things he cited are pivitol points.

Perhaps the thing the cab trade should be pointing to is that locals are far from best placed to decide.....maybe it needs a taxi commission.....screw the politics lets get on with service???

Local government is seemingly corrupt in some areas.....maybe in more than some.

As for the markets being the one true god people should worship to determine numbers.......well I obviously disagree, but locals being best seems to be becoming some type of sick f*cking joke, because the locals are obviously retarded.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:48 pm 

gusmac wrote:
Doom wrote:

The solution is simple.

Must speak good English

I agree,

The other alternative for the pro regulated markets is...all of the above...plus

Restricted numbers.
Full time drivers only.
Fixed rental price only.
All Plates returned to Council when leaving trade.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:12 am 
I agree,

The other alternative for the pro regulated markets is...all of the above...plus

Restricted numbers.
Full time drivers only.
Fixed rental price only.
All Plates returned to Council when leaving trade.[/quote]

Ok maybe you ain't a Sussex puppet after all.

Fixed price rental might be a problem, some like split bag still, and I don't know what the set bag is like where you are but here it's still pretty fair £120-£140 days, £160-£180 nights, full time car £230-£270.

The one thing I'd like to see is if you hold the license you drive the fricken thing, this PH abuse of one man having 200 licenses and never driving is so wrong, limit company car licenses also to a sensible level, after all if the firm has the work a driver will step up to become an owner won't they.