Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
toots wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Indeed, I find it hard to credit that any current PH driver would pass a queue on a rank without stopping, assuming they could do so legally.


The f'in taxis here pass queues on the rank ffs if they don't like the look of them :lol:


Yes, on the way to hand their taxi back to the finance company, no doubt :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
blackpool wrote:
Theres very rarely queues on ranks anymore,you really do have rose tinted glasses dusty.Why so secretive over" the backwater"place you work ?


There are queues in Tootsland, and they're driving past them to hand their cabs back, didn't you know? :lol:

As for where I work, why are you so desperate to know? :lol:

And if I could think of a good reason why I should tell you, I would. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
Dusty Bin wrote:
toots wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Indeed, I find it hard to credit that any current PH driver would pass a queue on a rank without stopping, assuming they could do so legally.


The f'in taxis here pass queues on the rank ffs if they don't like the look of them :lol:


Yes, on the way to hand their taxi back to the finance company, no doubt :roll:


Tbh I have no idea where they're going other than perhaps they think it is better to start closer to the clubs so the journey is longer, I never have understood why they drive past people that flag them either :?

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:31 pm
Posts: 12045
Location: Aberdeen
toots wrote:
I never have understood why they drive past people that flag them either :?


Eating food
Drinking alcohol/too drunk
Larger group than licensed for
Known fare dodger/troublemaker
Look dodgy (junkies/scumbags)
On way to a prebooked hire

I'm sure there's a few reasons I've missed. :D

_________________
Image
http://wingsoverscotland.com/ http://www.newsnetscotland.com/
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
gusmac wrote:
toots wrote:
I never have understood why they drive past people that flag them either :?


Eating food
Drinking alcohol/too drunk
Larger group than licensed for
Known fare dodger/troublemaker
Look dodgy (junkies/scumbags)
On way to a prebooked hire

I'm sure there's a few reasons I've missed. :D


Thanks, can you explain it to Dusty please cos he seems to think they'd only do it to hand their taxis back to the finance company :D

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 8119
Location: A Villa in Aston NO MORE!
Dusty Bin wrote:
toots wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Indeed, I find it hard to credit that any current PH driver would pass a queue on a rank without stopping, assuming they could do so legally.

The f'in taxis here pass queues on the rank ffs if they don't like the look of them :lol:

Yes, on the way to hand their taxi back to the finance company, no doubt :roll:

It happens all the time in Brum too and I've done it many a time in the dead of night.

It's called risk assessment.

_________________
Kind regards,

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 8119
Location: A Villa in Aston NO MORE!
Dusty Bin wrote:
blackpool wrote:
Theres very rarely queues on ranks anymore,you really do have rose tinted glasses dusty.Why so secretive over" the backwater"place you work ?

There are queues in Tootsland, and they're driving past them to hand their cabs back, didn't you know? :lol:

As for where I work, why are you so desperate to know? :lol:

And if I could think of a good reason why I should tell you, I would. :D

You don't have to tell us and you obviously won't and that's your right.

But could you please just tell us the population of your LA and the approximate square mileage of your LA, because that is what we are all getting at and that info will do.

We believe that your LA is very small when compared to large conurbations such as Brum, Merseyside, Bristol, Manchester, etc, even Blackpool and if it is small in comparison then it will work quite differently as far as HC and PH to the large LAs.

Even the LC acknowledge this, but you appear not to.

_________________
Kind regards,

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:37 pm
Posts: 2406
If youve never drove past someone flagging you,i doubt youve worked nights in a hackney ! I find thats the only sixth sense needed.
Wether it be the five [edited by admin] blokes with bottles in their hand or the girl with puke all down her who can hardly stand,theres usually a reason..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:31 pm
Posts: 12045
Location: Aberdeen
blackpool wrote:
If youve never drove past someone flagging you,i doubt youve worked nights in a hackney ! I find thats the only sixth sense needed.
Wether it be the five [edited by admin] blokes with bottles in their hand or the girl with puke all down her who can hardly stand,theres usually a reason..


Yep, that about covers it. 8)

_________________
Image
http://wingsoverscotland.com/ http://www.newsnetscotland.com/
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
It's called risk assessment.


Yes, but all this is getting away from your initial point about all those PH drivers who don't want to pick up off the streets at all.

I'm surprised anyone wants to drive a HC in Brum at all then, but you seem to claim that the market is grossly over-supplied.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
You don't have to tell us and you obviously won't and that's your right.

But could you please just tell us the population of your LA and the approximate square mileage of your LA, because that is what we are all getting at and that info will do.

We believe that your LA is very small when compared to large conurbations such as Brum, Merseyside, Bristol, Manchester, etc, even Blackpool and if it is small in comparison then it will work quite differently as far as HC and PH to the large LAs.

Even the LC acknowledge this, but you appear not to.


Is that the Royal we? :lol:

Yes, my area is tiny compared to Birmingham, but I don't really get your point unless you specifically make one.

It's a bit like all this stuff about kebabs and puke and the like, it's just an attempt at red herrings and doesn't address the substantive point I made initially.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
blackpool wrote:
If youve never drove past someone flagging you,i doubt youve worked nights in a hackney ! I find thats the only sixth sense needed.
Wether it be the five [edited by admin] blokes with bottles in their hand or the girl with puke all down her who can hardly stand,theres usually a reason..


Ok, thanks for stating the obvious, but as I said that's getting away from the initial point a bit, which was the claim that an unspecified number of PHV drivers wouldn't want to do street work at all even if offered to them on a plate, if you get my drift :D

If that's the case then not sure what all you pro-restrictionists are so worried about :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 8119
Location: A Villa in Aston NO MORE!
Dusty Bin wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
It's called risk assessment.

Yes, but all this is getting away from your initial point about all those PH drivers who don't want to pick up off the streets at all.

I'm surprised anyone wants to drive a HC in Brum at all then, but you seem to claim that the market is grossly over-supplied.

It is in Brum.

But what the kcuf is the point of me typing that when you will never believe it even if you saw it with your own eyes.

Are you sure your first name ain't Thomas?

_________________
Kind regards,

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
Dusty Bin wrote:
which was the claim that an unspecified number of PHV drivers wouldn't want to do street work at all even if offered to them on a plate, if you get my drift


I know plenty that wouldn't do it, you on the other hand clearly do not

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Well I don't doubt there are some, but rewind a few posts and the basic point was about a one-tier system and the point about some PHV drivers not liking street work.

As I said, no one would be forcing them to do street work.

And there are plenty of PHV drivers who would pick up from ranks or flags given the chance.

And then the discussion went off on a wild goose chase about kebabs and puking up and suchlike, which is basically one big red herring.

Of course all drivers broom fares, but that's missing the point.

So a typical TDO thread then :badgrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group