Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:19 pm 

captain cab wrote:
In what respect - take away the knowledge they have worse standards than Carlisle.

Mr GBC will be able to give chapter and verse, but I think it costs a small fortune to put through re-licensing.

And it's not just the standard of vehicle, but also driver.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
In what respect - take away the knowledge they have worse standards than Carlisle.

Mr GBC will be able to give chapter and verse, but I think it costs a small fortune to put through re-licensing.

Only in respect of time off to do the knowledge?

They have no DSA tests, they have bog standard medicals, they are getting into age limits after being perhaps the last in the UK to do so - they've even stopped accepting applications in certain areas - as they invariably know the vehicles from the softer suburbs end up elsewhere working - effectively they've capped numbers.

They accept postal applications for PH badges!

I have every respect for the dedication of london cab drivers in achieving their green badges - but London has a larger problem with illegal vehicles and illegal plying than anywhere else in the UK - if this is what people want to use as a model - then you better make sure you know what you're going to get.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:31 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Only in respect of time off to do the knowledge?

They have no DSA tests, they have bog standard medicals, they are getting into age limits after being perhaps the last in the UK to do so - they've even stopped accepting applications in certain areas - as they invariably know the vehicles from the softer suburbs end up elsewhere working - effectively they've capped numbers.

They accept postal applications for PH badges!

I have every respect for the dedication of london cab drivers in achieving their green badges - but London has a larger problem with illegal vehicles and illegal plying than anywhere else in the UK - if this is what people want to use as a model - then you better make sure you know what you're going to get.

And don't forget, that the PCO. look at issuing licences as their business as they keep saying.... and their business is to make money..... that is what businesses do....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:32 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

And it's not just the standard of vehicle, but also driver.

I agree about drivers as have a close friend who is a green badge but your way of the mark if you think its the highest standard of vehicle testing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:24 pm 

captain cab wrote:
They have no DSA tests,

I think they do.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:11 am 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
They have no DSA tests,

I think they do.

I thought they were carried out in house - they were in the past?

That aside - PH recently got off from doing them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 am 

captain cab wrote:
They have no DSA tests, they have bog standard medicals, they are getting into age limits after being perhaps the last in the UK to do so

According to this they have the DSA test, enhanced CRB and DVLA Group 2 medical standards.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartne ... /1406.aspx

Their dress standards and vehicles are pretty bog standard though - not sure what the current position is, but I recall a few years ago they were creating merry hell over a fifteen year age rule. :lol:

Quote:
they've even stopped accepting applications in certain areas - as they invariably know the vehicles from the softer suburbs end up elsewhere working - effectively they've capped numbers

Surprised they get away with that - presumably no one has challenged them.

Quote:
I have every respect for the dedication of london cab drivers in achieving their green badges - but London has a larger problem with illegal vehicles and illegal plying than anywhere else in the UK - if this is what people want to use as a model - then you better make sure you know what you're going to get

And a cap instead of the KOL certainly wouldn't make any difference to that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:40 am 

blackpool wrote:
I agree about drivers as have a close friend who is a green badge but your way of the mark if you think its the highest standard of vehicle testing

Didn't Ken introduce a six-month test a few years ago, which Boris promised to scrap and thus a lot of the drivers were supporting his election campaign?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:48 pm 

ii.The LPHCA has similarly had issues with the medical requirements under ‘DVLA Group 2’ where perfectly appropriate drivers have been lost to the trade, whilst older drivers with the same minor medical issues work with exemptions in the form of ‘grandfather rights’.

iii.Some DVLA Group 2 issues have been resolved (diabetics) but others remain (like monocular vision and treated epilepsy) and it would be good for the Transport Committee to review the appropriateness of the standards for Taxis and PHV drivers.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... xi/m56.htm

http://dieseldude2.tripod.com/L9.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:52 pm 

PCO Notice 20/09

www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/busines ... otices.pdf

Private Hire Vehicle Drivers

Amendment to the physical fitness requirement

The Private Hire Vehicles (London PHV Drivers Licences) (Amendment) egulations 2009 came into force on 1 May 2009.

The Regulations have amended regulation 3 (The physical fitness requirement) of he Private Hire Vehicles (London PHV Drivers Licences) Regulations 2003.

The physical fitness requirement for PHV drivers is now that an applicant:

(a) is the holder of a Group 2 licence; or

(b) satisfies Transport for London (TfL) that he is medically fit to hold a PHV driver’s licence.

The requirement that drivers must meet DVLA Group 2 medical standards has been removed, however the regulations additionally state that in assessing whether an applicant is medically fit, TfL will have regard to the medical standard that would apply in relation to a Group 2 licence.

This amendment brings the physical fitness requirement for PHV drivers into line with that for licensed London taxi drivers, where the Licensing Authority is guided by Group 2 standards, and will allow the Licensing Authority some discretion in making decisions in respect of an applicant’s physical fitness.