Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 36925
Location: Wayneistan
'We'll be driven out of business'


TAXI drivers fear they will no longer be able to make a living after councillors voted to deregulate the number of Hackney carriages on the roads.

Newcastle Borough Council's public protection committee has opted against holding a survey on demand for taxis in the area.

This means the council will no longer be able to limit the number of Hackney carriage licences it issues, bringing it into line with many other authorities, including Stoke-on-Trent City Council.

Committee members believe more Hackney carriages will help reduce town centre anti-social behaviour caused by revellers on Friday and Saturday nights.

But members of Newcastle Hackney Carriage Association say the current limit of 51 taxis is needed in order to protect their livelihoods.

They claim that there is not enough work to go around as it is, and more drivers entering the trade will make it impossible for them to make a living.

Teresa Jones, secretary of Newcastle Hackney Carriage Association, said: "I'm totally disgusted at this decision. It's going to lead to a very bad situation in Newcastle.

"All those applications for Hackney carriage licences are coming from private hire companies. As soon as they get them they will be selling them off.

"This is going to have a devastating effect on the current Hackney carriage drivers.

"The situation in Newcastle on Fridays and Saturdays is the same as in any town or city in the country. But in Newcastle it only lasts a few minutes, and then all the people are gone. I've spoken to the police who say there isn't a problem with taxi numbers."

A licensing authority can only limit Hackney carriage numbers if it can justify it by conducting an unmet demand survey every three years.

The borough council last carried out such a survey in December 2009, and it is expected that conducting another would cost up to £30,000.

There are currently 51 people on the borough council's waiting list for Hackney carriage licences.

Some committee members felt a new survey should be carried out, but argued that at least some of the cost should be passed on to the taxi trade.

Conservative Councillor Ian Matthews said: "There is no option but to have a survey. The problem is who will pay for it. It has to be like last time, and split 50-50 between the council and the taxi drivers."

But the committee voted against carrying out a survey funded by drivers' licence fees.

Labour committee member Tony Kearon said the decision to deregulate had been made in the interests of public safety.

He said: "First and foremost our concern has to be for the safety and wellbeing of the people of Newcastle.

"It is regrettable that taxi drivers think this will have an impact on their livelihoods, and it is not a decision we have taken lightly.

"But we have a situation where large numbers of people wait for taxis in the town centre. It's obvious there aren't enough drivers."

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/ll ... story.html

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 10475
Location: Scotland
Quote:
All those applications for Hackney carriage licences are coming from private hire companies. As soon as they get them they will be selling them off.


And who are they going to sell them off to, if they are free from the council


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 36925
Location: Wayneistan
Quote:
Labour committee member Tony Kearon said the decision to deregulate had been made in the interests of public safety.

He said: "First and foremost our concern has to be for the safety and wellbeing of the people of Newcastle.

"It is regrettable that taxi drivers think this will have an impact on their livelihoods, and it is not a decision we have taken lightly.

"But we have a situation where large numbers of people wait for taxis in the town centre. It's obvious there aren't enough drivers."


Image

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:36 pm 
It's obvious that due to the law failing everyone drivers do not wish to pick up coke snorting idiots at 3AM to face the how much and other aggressive questions for £6 ph isn't it, where is the help when someone has trouble (oh it's a civil matter) where is the policy of removing drug fueled idiots from the entertainment industry (the bin men aren't allowed to take certain items why should we) these councils need to clean up the streets so normal folks feel safe enough to return out for a night out,

And if there is a shortage then manage release more plates, that way you don't end up swamped, only thing is though are the Johnny Lately's going to service the warzone hours or simply flood the rank during the day.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 36925
Location: Wayneistan
I've sadly been to Newcastle Under Lyme.....and i wouldnt say the place is that busy on a Saturday night, and facing facts all the council want is the sh*t picked up at 3 am :sad:

scr*w everything else, provided theres a taxi to clear the streets.

What surprises me is the liebor politicians view, even the tory dude suggested a survey, the man of the working class however wants deregulation.......shame on him........of course these labour politicians have a history of letting down the working man.......if we go back to the Wilson government of the 1960's........elected to stop beechings cuts......they actually increased the rate of closures.

If the unions seriously expect politicians to help the cab trade they are seriously deluded.

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm
Posts: 8119
Location: A Villa in Aston NO MORE!
captain cab wrote:
I've sadly been to Newcastle Under Lyme.....and i wouldnt say the place is that busy on a Saturday night, and facing facts all the council want is the sh*t picked up at 3 am :sad:

scr*w everything else, provided theres a taxi to clear the streets.

In Brum we have found that there is a direct correlation to the level of civil disobedience and disorder on the streets at pub and club kicking-out time to marshalled managed taxi ranks on Broad Street and at The Arcadian on Hurst Street, our main two night economy venues.

One rank is marshalled in both areas, with the other ranks in those areas 'out-of-bounds' whilst the marshalled ranks are in operation.

What this does is channel the pi$$ed-up punters to one rank and they then all know when it's there turn at the front of the queue, they get their taxi. Also, the short wait tends to sober them up a little.

There are no longer hoards of people flagging along those streets, sometimes very dangerously in the middle of the road, with many guys getting very frustrated as cab pick and choose the punters that are likely to give them the least trouble; single punters, girl groups or mixed sex groups.

I just wonder in Newcastle-under-Lyme has marshalled ranks at weekend?

_________________
Kind regards,

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 7:24 pm
Posts: 6684
this Labour ponce is easily dealt with de-select the ponce by being in his Ward Party, this is a prime example of what occurs when your not unionised and politically active!! 5 cabbies on the selection panel ensures hes not selected unless he gives a commitment to follow the Unionised Cabbies policy'!

the process of becoming a councillor

1. Be a party member
2. Be nominated by your Party Branch [Ward sometimes 2 or 3 cllrs in a Branch covering 2 or 3 wards]
3. Obtain Union support. If their a member of a Union as 99% will be that Union would normally support their nomination and make a financial donation to election costs.
4.Pass an interview by the Constituency's Councillor selection committee.

At every step Cabbies if party members can influence this process, clearly you would require all candidates to adhere to your Union's, Ward's, Branch's policy NO Delimitation.

I doubt that this decision can be reversed NOW but its a lesson for all be involved.

As for Capt's piece about the 1960's and Beeching yes another betrayal they DIDNT reverse TORY policy! so clearly the answer is not putting the Tory's in its making your party of the working class answerable and you can only do that by being a member. #-o #-o #-o

_________________
All posts by this contributor are made in a strictly personal capacity and as such should not be associated with any organisation whatsoever!

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.uK

VOTE CORBYN!!

JOIN A UNION


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:37 pm
Posts: 2406
=D> good post


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8038
trotskys twin wrote:
this Labour ponce is easily dealt with de-select the ponce by being in his Ward Party, this is a prime example of what occurs when your not unionised and politically active!! 5 cabbies on the selection panel ensures hes not selected unless he gives a commitment to follow the Unionised Cabbies policy'!

the process of becoming a councillor

1. Be a party member
2. Be nominated by your Party Branch [Ward sometimes 2 or 3 cllrs in a Branch covering 2 or 3 wards]
3. Obtain Union support. If their a member of a Union as 99% will be that Union would normally support their nomination and make a financial donation to election costs.
4.Pass an interview by the Constituency's Councillor selection committee.

At every step Cabbies if party members can influence this process, clearly you would require all candidates to adhere to your Union's, Ward's, Branch's policy NO Delimitation.

I doubt that this decision can be reversed NOW but its a lesson for all be involved.

As for Capt's piece about the 1960's and Beeching yes another betrayal they DIDNT reverse TORY policy! so clearly the answer is not putting the Tory's in its making your party of the working class answerable and you can only do that by being a member. #-o #-o #-o

Its A pity you didn't tell Tony Blair that. :roll:

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43081
Location: 1066 Country
It seems the local trade must be represented by the same standard of hackney reps as we have down here. #-o

No survey would cost £30,000, more like £15,000. Which would cost each driver £295 every three years, or £1.89p a week.

You really couldn't make it up. ](*,)

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43081
Location: 1066 Country
trotskys twin wrote:
this Labour ponce is easily dealt with de-select the ponce by being in his Ward Party,

It takes more than one Councillor to vote through a new policy.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 36925
Location: Wayneistan
Sussex wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:
this Labour ponce is easily dealt with de-select the ponce by being in his Ward Party,

It takes more than one Councillor to vote through a new policy.



•Councillor Mrs Elsie Bates Labour
•Councillor John Cooper Tory
•Councillor Colin Eastwood Labour
•Councillor Trevor Hambleton (Chair) Labour
•Councillor Mrs Ann Heames Tory
•Councillor Thomas Lawton Labour
•Councillor Miss Chloe Mancey Tory
•Councillor Mrs Sandra Simpson Labour
•Councillor Simon Tagg Tory
•Councillor Billy Welsh Libcon
•Councillor Andrew Wemyss Libcon
•Councillor Simon White Libcon
•Councillor John Williams Labour
•Councillor Mrs Gillian Williams Labour
•Councillor Mrs Joan Winfield (Vice-Chair) Labour

Licensing committee;

Labour; 8
Tory; 4
Lib: 3

The Labour Party should hold their heads in shame.

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43081
Location: 1066 Country
captain cab wrote:
The Labour Party should hold their heads in shame.

Not sure the 51 lads/lasses on the waiting list share that view.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 36925
Location: Wayneistan
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
The Labour Party should hold their heads in shame.

Not sure the 51 lads/lasses on the waiting list share that view.



51 licenses, 51 people on a waiting list....51 questions :wink:

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:05 am 
At least 51 new mouths to feed if only single manned, so make that 102 new mouths to feed then eh, is this country a democracy anymore, cos it sure don't appear to be one to me, more like the groundwork for a nation of paupers who will be muted by benefit books.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group