Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 am 

MP planning talks with council over ‘too many taxis’

LOUGHBOROUGH MP Nicky Morgan says she will be arranging talks with the borough council following further concerns by taxi drivers that there are too many cabs on the streets of Loughborough.

Last August, a cacophony of car horns blared through the town as taxi drivers staged a lunchtime protest against too many licences being granted by Charnwood Borough Council.

In total, 53 taxi drivers drove along the A6, Southfield Road, Forest Road, Epinal Way and Ashby Road.

But since the protest and a petition, private taxi driver Pasquale Corbinzolu, of East Leake, said little had been done to address the concerns and is calling for an independent survey to be carried out.

The 54-year-old told the Echo: “It is not that we want to cut numbers – we just don’t want any more licences.

“On a Saturday night there is nowhere for all these taxis to sit.

“The recession has hit us. There are not that many people using taxis.

“It is very serious – I mean desperately serious. The full-time taxi drivers are suffering. Someone my age can’t get another job.”

Mr Corbinzolu said taxi drivers were now waiting one hour and a half at the train station and Biggin Street for a job, that Friday nights were dead, and Saturday night jobs came every 45 minutes to one hour.

He believes there are more part-time taxi drivers – and that an independent review called Unmet Demand needed to be carried out on behalf of the council to measure the impact.

Council figures show in 2011-12, there were 250 private hire vehicles and 153 hackney carriage cabs.

Mrs Morgan told the Echo: “What I have suggested is looking at what local authorities can do in regards to the survey and will be speaking to the chief executive and the leader of the council to see if it is worth investing in it.”

Coun David Slater, leader of the borough council, added: “I can’t commit to the survey, but if things have changed then I will meet with Mrs Morgan and taxi drivers to hear what they have to say.”

source: http://www.national-taxi-association.co.uk/?p=4789

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:49 am 

captain cab wrote:
LOUGHBOROUGH MP Nicky Morgan says she will be arranging talks with the borough council following further concerns by taxi drivers that there are too many cabs on the streets of Loughborough.

So which ones is he suggesting get revoked?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 am 

Quote:
Mrs Morgan told the Echo: “What I have suggested is looking at what local authorities can do in regards to the survey and will be speaking to the chief executive and the leader of the council to see if it is worth investing in it.”

I thought the trade paid for the surveys :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:41 pm 

I think ADT are the biggest operator in Loughborough. This is the chap that will "sell" you drivers from eastern Europe.