Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:52 am 

Mick wrote:
You are to interested in getting what you want instead of ensuring that the "hire and reward" trade delivers the services demanded of them by the public.

It's you that wants to dictate what drivers do Mick, so I think it's a bit rich to accuse me of only being interested in getting what I want - I want a level playing field, so you seem to be trying to turn things back to front in implying that I'm in the wrong.

As regards what the public want, as I said recently in my manor there are very few PH, but people have no trouble getting a pre-booked car, because every taxi is involved with the pre-booked market.

If there's demand there should be supply, and if there's insufficient supply then there might be a problem of some kind, but as you keep on telling us with regard to street work, at times of peak demand it'll never be met straight away, and the pre-booked market is just the same.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:02 am 
a level playing fied is the only way ahead but too many toa,s are burying their head in the sand with their points of view, i will have a hack in jan but will still suport any (driver) who wishes to run his own cab but i wont back any individual or worse comany wanting multiple plates ,too much greed will lead to a downfall for all.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:57 am 

Well to a degree the 'too much greed' scenario has led to the OFT report.

After de-limit I don't really care how many plates some people can have, cos they can only drive them one at a time.

If they have many, then really they have got to treat the drivers well, or they will be off to license their own, or drive for someone else. The power of the driver, in my opinion, is greatly enhanced.

Which is why it is such a pity, that those that are supposed to protect the workers, don't want the shackles to be loosened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:10 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
Which is why it is such a pity, that those that are supposed to protect the workers, don't want the shackles to be loosened.

Again I must point out that any union have no obligation to serve the best interests of non-members.

It should also be pointed out that the majority of licenses held are held by owner drivers.

Loosen the shackles and the independant H/C driver will be bankrupted by the large P/H operations who can afford to buy large numbers of vehicles and then rent them out to drivers for extortionate rates, I must point out that in my manor a saloon with a H/C plate (with a £10k premium) can be rented for £160 per week, but a WAV (without plate premium) through an P/H office can cost over £300 per week.

De-limitation gives those with more and takes more from those with less.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:15 pm 

Mick wrote:
Again I must point out that any union have no obligation to serve the best interests of non-members.

Well I'm sorry but the unions should look after the workers, whether they are members or not.

In fact I hear nothing else from union leaders on the telly and the radio, than that they are there for all workers.

Alas it would seem all but one. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:19 pm 

Mick wrote:
Loosen the shackles and the independant H/C driver will be bankrupted by the large P/H operations who can afford to buy large numbers of vehicles and then rent them out to drivers for extortionate rates, I must point out that in my manor a saloon with a H/C plate (with a £10k premium) can be rented for £160 per week, but a WAV (without plate premium) through an P/H office can cost over £300 per week.

De-limitation gives those with more and takes more from those with less.

Now why should that be so?

Operators can have thousands of cars, but they don't drive themselves. In fact the more cars they have, the better they will have to treat the drivers, else the drivers will go elsewhere.

It's happening in London with the mini-cabs/PH. Not enough drivers, so at the moment they are king. The deals on offer to those that have been, or are in the process of being, licensed are very nice indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:40 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
Now why should that be so?

Operators can have thousands of cars, but they don't drive themselves. In fact the more cars they have, the better they will have to treat the drivers, else the drivers will go elsewhere.

It's happening in London with the mini-cabs/PH. Not enough drivers, so at the moment they are king. The deals on offer to those that have been, or are in the process of being, licensed are very nice indeed.

A bust follows every boom Sussex. Soon drivers will become licensed in greater numbers and the "power" will swing back, and it will be strong enough to knock lots of people off their perches.

But maybe your not interested in the long term effects, and that wouldn't surprise me one little bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:49 pm 

Mick wrote:
A bust follows every boom Sussex. Soon drivers will become licensed in greater numbers and the "power" will swing back, and it will be strong enough to knock lots of people off their perches.

But maybe your not interested in the long term effects, and that wouldn't surprise me one little bit.

And following a bust will be a boom. The cab trade has been like that for many years. I doubt de-limitation will have any effect on that.

As for the future, well I believe it to be good. Not just for me or my mates, but for all that want to work, not just sit on their backsides moaning about a past that never was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:38 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
[And following a bust will be a boom. The cab trade has been like that for many years. I doubt de-limitation will have any effect on that.

But how will you survive the bust Sussex Man, so that your still around for the next boom. Particularly when you'll have the £30k debt of a WAV around your neck. Delimitation will obviously have an effect, its so apparent in Gateshead that it would surely have an effect elsewhere.

The only people that are securing their own futures are those who are entering the pre-booked market, but surely that is adding to the un-met demand outside the pubs and clubs at closing time when you are claiming waiting times are un-acceptable for the punters, and is also against the fundimentals of the H/C licence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:47 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
As for the future, well I believe it to be good. Not just for me or my mates, but for all that want to work, not just sit on their backsides moaning about a past that never was.

The life of a H/C driver has never been good then Sussex Man has it not. I ask this as you want so much to become one.

Let me ask you another question, when you entered this trade did you weigh up the pro's and con's of becoming a H/C driver before you decided to become a P/H driver. I know I did, I jockey'd a car while I worked out how viable buying my own would be. When compared with the average office weekly radio rental I decided that buying a plate offered me more oppertunity so I got a loan and bought my plate. It payed for itself within 2 years, now how long have you been a P/H driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:21 am 

Mick wrote:
But how will you survive the bust Sussex Man, so that your still around for the next boom. Particularly when you'll have the £30k debt of a WAV around your neck. Delimitation will obviously have an effect, its so apparent in Gateshead that it would surely have an effect elsewhere.

Work harder and spend less.

And when it's boom time, save for when it isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:26 am 

Mick wrote:
The life of a H/C driver has never been good then Sussex Man has it not. I ask this as you want so much to become one.

Well I could sit here and be pessimistic about the future, but how will that help. It may frighten a few off into another trade, but little else.

I think the past has been [edited by admin] for some, but I'm going to do my little bit to try and make my, and my mates future a little better.

Might not work, but it wont be for want of trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:29 am 

Mick wrote:
Let me ask you another question, when you entered this trade did you weigh up the pro's and con's of becoming a H/C driver before you decided to become a P/H driver. I know I did, I jockey'd a car while I worked out how viable buying my own would be. When compared with the average office weekly radio rental I decided that buying a plate offered me more oppertunity so I got a loan and bought my plate. It payed for itself within 2 years, now how long have you been a P/H driver.

No I didn't give two figs for the HC trade then.

Like most of the UK's population, I was unaware about the discrimination that thrives in some manors.

But hopefully not for much longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:48 pm 
Cant say i will be a happy bunny if the dereg.
But with my station situation i no how the ph boys feel.
I just hope if they get there plates, i get my pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:34 am 

Cgull wrote:
Cant say i will be a happy bunny if the dereg.
But with my station situation i no how the ph boys feel.
I just hope if they get there plates, i get my pass.

I tell you what Mr Cgull, if I get my HC plate, then I will fight like daddy'o to get you your station pass.

Is it a deal? :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next