Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:31 pm 
i dont know if brighton have replied to alex yet.
but they did a big report last year.
it said a lot of things.
but the only justification was that if there was more taxis then there would be less ph.
thus the people the ph pick up now would be missed.
what a load of bollocks. :shock:
so if my mates get plates like me.
overnight we are going to stick two fingers up to the customers that we have been picking up for years.
and then we are all going to sit in the city doing our sedokus instead. :lol:

it would have been better if they said we are sh** scared of the cab trade and frightened to get un elected. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:46 pm 

187ums wrote:
I very much doubt if the survey will show that we need 50 cars, but if we did we will cross that bridge when we get thier.

The next time you are in Oxford, ask yourself where all these extra Taxi's would go? bearing in mind we only have two main ranks - one at the coach station and one at the rail station. We can use the High Street, only at night time.

600 private hires - now you are plucking figures out of the air JD, they serve a different market segment - and are not located in the centre.

Sorry about that those p/h figures were for the whole of Oxfordshire. The actual figures for Oxford is 278 p/h and 106 Hackneys that was in 2004.

Does that make you feel more comfortable? lol

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:11 pm 

for a mere taxi driver - you are remarkably well informed JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:31 pm 

187ums wrote:
As for more cars, not enough business out thier, what will happen is thier will be more part time drivers e.g. Carlisle - thier the whole industry went Hackney which has resulted in significant detriment to the customer as no one wants to cover the outer areas - thats also a fact.

Presumably that information came via Mr Casey?

Well you're incorrect for a start, since the whole industry in Carlise is not all hackney, indeed Mr Casey said on here that he runs PH himself.

I think he also runs a despatch office of some kind, and has a few taxis, so clearly he has an interest in forcing driver to work for him.

Me, I try to represent those at the bottom of the pile, not the bosses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:42 pm 

187ums wrote:
Carlisle - thier the whole industry went Hackney which has resulted in significant detriment to the customer as no one wants to cover the outer areas - thats also a fact.

Just a point about Carlisle, Wayne Casey the local NTA offical said "there are more Taxis available to the public at weekends since the council deregulated".

His exact words were

Carlisle deregulated in 1998 and any type of vehicle can be licensed as a hackney carriage wheelchair accessible or saloon. The result is that whilst it is easier to hire a taxi on Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights, it is almost impossible to hire a taxi at 7.30 a.m. on Wednesday mornings.

All taxis are now single shifted owner-drivers, there are no double shifted taxis. Mr. Casey felt that the initial N.T.A. response should be to rubbish the OFT report but to have a fall back position. The fall back position should be that all new licenses should be purpose built, but at the very least wheelchair accessible. Existing licenses should have grandfather rights. Taxis are a localised form of transport and they should be controlled locally.

Notice the fall back position? lol Typical.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 pm 

JD wrote:
All taxis are now single shifted owner-drivers, there are no double shifted taxis.

Even in derestricted LAs I find it difficult to accept that statement anyway.

Indeed, the DfT stats show 190 taxis but 247 drivers, so 57 taxis must be double-shifted, assuming the stats are correct.

Pedants might note that the figure could be less than 57, since some could be tripled etc, but that doesn't really matter as regards the subsance of the argument :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:53 pm 

TDO wrote:
JD wrote:
All taxis are now single shifted owner-drivers, there are no double shifted taxis.

Even in derestricted LAs I find it difficult to accept that statement anyway.

Indeed, the DfT stats show 190 taxis but 247 drivers, so 57 taxis must be double-shifted, assuming the stats are correct.

Pedants might note that the figure could be less than 57, since some could be tripled etc, but that doesn't really matter as regards the subsance of the argument :D

I also have difficulty accepting that all Taxis in Carlisle are single shifted but if they are, it certainly puts to bed the theory that more cabs are available in restricted authorities because of the double shift system.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:33 am 

I think the basic argument seemed to be that derestriction would lead to availability problems, but unfortunately some were saying it would be during the day, but others were saying it would be at night, which rather undermined the argument a bit #-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:40 am 

Perhaps Mr Casey should be afforded the opportunity to speak for himself?

anyway the truth hurts!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:46 am 

Well TDO perhaps you should ask those people that you represent to upsticks and come and work with you - as everything is so perfect where you are!

out of interest where do you work from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:35 am 

187ums wrote:

anyway the truth hurts!!

To what truth would you be referring?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:42 am 

187ums wrote:

anyway the truth hurts!!

Precisely!!

Anyway, Mr Casey used to be one of the busiest posters on here, but chose to depart. He was back on recently, so who knows, he might respond, but if he doesn't then you can hardly blame it one us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:45 am 

187ums wrote:
Well TDO perhaps you should ask those people that you represent to upsticks and come and work with you - as everything is so perfect where you are!

out of interest where do you work from?

Bournemouth, or so I was told :-$

Who said things were perfect where I was?

But I wouldn't say to anyone that they can't work in my area, and neither would I prevent anyone running their own motor :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:31 pm 

You guys make me laugh. 99% of the stuff on this site is very good and informative, however when the D work comes around, you squirm and spit cand cry how unfair it all is.

How much pressure have you guys pressed on to your councils? hows the campaiging coming along?

JD where do you work?

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:12 pm 

187ums wrote:
How much pressure have you guys pressed on to your councils? hows the campaiging coming along?

I think the good folks of the DfT are putting the pressure on councils.

What may also be happening is other good folk are reminding councils what the DfT needs from them. As opposed to what councils think (or wish) the DfT requires of them.

As for campaigning, well I think that's best left to the likes of the T&G. After all the KO'ed OFT. :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next