Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:06 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Mick Pollard wrote:
What then would be acceptable findings though Dusty?

What is suitable to one isn't to another, and that goes for customers as well as drivers and operators and I suppose to a certain extent councils.

Who therefore would they be pleasing by making any changes at all?

Maybe hampering to the people who expect a H/C or P/H vehicle to be available for them at 11:30 on a Friday and Saturday night might be their idea of reform but I would bet my last penny that people will still struggle to get a cab at these times whatever reccomendations they make.

Maybe allowing drivers the choice of what plate they put on the back of their vehicle will offer them the reform they seek, but where does that end, the people demanding this will look for something else to demand, look for some other in-equality and believe me they will find something.

But what do I know, I'm just some daft Geordie who's trying to make things fair to everyone and not just myself.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Seems to me you have lost the point of what OFT does, there responsibly is to look into unfair trading practices, not ow the T&G want this the PH want that.

The basics are simple restricted numbers policy is against all European and British competition laws. The other issues such as prices and standard are obviously to be included. My bet is a complaint was made re restricted numbers then the floodgates opened i.e. council fixing prices driving standards ECT

There are way to many narrow minded ppl that follow their own financial interests not the travelling public. In my experience the growth of night buses nation wide has grown. The reason being restriction numbers polices means the drivers with plates would sooner see the public travel on a bus than have more licenses.
No one told these silly bad business minded fools that travelling in a Taxis is a habit, a habit that can be gotten out of if there’s none to travel in

Sorry forgot to log in :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:27 am 
Just for the record,

Gateshead has 87 saloon plates.
Gateshead has 163 WAV's

Last unmet demand survey was held prior to delimitation and reccomended a further 13 plates be issued that was in 1996.

So Gateshead has a WAV percentage of nearly 200%.

BTW 2 saloon plates are held in the council and will not be re-allocated. so the actual figure on the road for the saloons is 85.

I bet nowhere else in the country matches those figures.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:18 pm 

Matches which figures Mick?

The WAV figure is low for a start, and it's pointless comparing them to an arbitrary saloon number.

What meaning does your 200% WAV figure have??

In other areas it varies from 0% to infinity, so what's the significance of 200%?

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:06 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
There are way to many narrow minded ppl that follow their own financial interests not the travelling public. In my experience the growth of night buses nation wide has grown. The reason being restriction numbers polices means the drivers with plates would sooner see the public travel on a bus than have more licenses.
No one told these silly bad business minded fools that travelling in a Taxis is a habit, a habit that can be gotten out of if there’s none to travel in

hello everyone very intersting site.

i was at a taxi meeting about 6 months ago and one of the lads said that the best way of getting rid of the late night taxi rush was more buses.

i still dont think he realisews have much of a pillock he sounded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:17 pm 

Yeah. Absolutely. We dont need more silly regs that cannot be enforced. We need sensible regs, that the average sensible person WANTS to comply with. That way, they will become enforceable, as everyone and his brother wont be trying to break them all the time.

We live in a democracy after all. Government by concensus. Concensus by education.

The trouble is, its OUR job to educate, as, as taxi or PH operators, we actually know more about the business than a lot of officials do. We need to get this point across by not fighting each other for our meagre crust, but by making requests and steering towards sensible aims.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:49 pm 

Johnny wrote:
hello everyone very intersting site.

i was at a taxi meeting about 6 months ago and one of the lads said that the best way of getting rid of the late night taxi rush was more buses.

i still dont think he realisews have much of a pillock he sounded.

I think you find Johnny, that your colleague is more interested in his plate value, than anything else.

Some can't work out that a stagnant trade goes nowhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:20 am 
I work in the West Country and I didn't have a clue about this taxi report.
The only lad who new anything in detail about it said he got it of the OFT website after reading about it on another taxi forum.
Why can't our councils tell us what is happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:24 pm 
Mick Pollard wrote:
Just for the record,

Gateshead has 87 saloon plates.
Gateshead has 163 WAV's

Last unmet demand survey was held prior to delimitation and reccomended a further 13 plates be issued that was in 1996.

So Gateshead has a WAV percentage of nearly 200%.

BTW 2 saloon plates are held in the council and will not be re-allocated. so the actual figure on the road for the saloons is 85.

I bet nowhere else in the country matches those figures.

B. Lucky

none of your figures make sense, and wont do until put next to population figures.

the highest Hackney/population ratio is London, youve to keep going down the list to get to Gateshead, its figures are not that unusual, what is unusual is your insistance that they are unique.

Gatehead appear as a council to have high ambitions for thier area, and they need all the encouragement that can be given in this respect.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:21 am 
Population of Gateshead 80,000.

What does that tell you that I allready haven't wharfie, come on share your full synopsis you say you need the population figures to provide.

WharfieImageClaude

B. oing :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:27 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Population of Gateshead 80,000.

What does that tell you that I allready haven't wharfie, come on share your full synopsis you say you need the population figures to provide.

WharfieImageClaude

B. oing :twisted:

All I can say is this Gateshead is a small metropolitain council, but if its down that far perhaps the next boundary change will see it gone.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:27 am 
Wharfie wrote:
[
Gatehead appear as a council to have high ambitions for thier area, and they need all the encouragement that can be given in this respect.

Wharfie

And you think that we don't provide encouragement.

Hey man, we are their to provide a service to the public and we need the encouragement and help of the council to improve service, you little upstart.

Good god man, do you just open your mouth and let the wind blow your tongue around or what.

Take the council employee ass kissing hat off, the Claude ass kissing hat makes you sound more intelligent.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:10 pm 

Personally I don't think it matters one little bit the population to cabs, in a open taxi market.

What matters is, are the drivers making money, if they are all well and good, if not then they need to find another job.

There is nothing worse than moaning drivers, it drives punters mad.

So if you aren't earning, go build a house, sweep the streets or for that matter empty the bins. But leave the trade to those who can and do make it work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:01 am 

Here Here! (As they say)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:24 pm 

Other Andy, back to the name of the topic i.e. wish they would hurry up. Does your secret source have any idea when we are going to be put out of our misery? :shock:

In other words, can I order my new vehicle at Sandown, and join the T&G at the same time? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:39 pm 
Andy.

Tand G is not for those who orders new vehicles at Sandown,
for you it may be appropiate to invest the subs on the falling stock market,

lots of risk, but chance of success.

Wharfie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next