Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:17 pm 

So will it be primary legislation, a quick cut Regulatory Reform Order (RRO) or a referral to the Competition Commission (CC)?

The fact that the study has not been published yet, when it was due this summer, could mean no referral to the CC. However if that did happen, then all bets are off, because then anything and everything could happen.
Nothing will be left untouched.

If you take a look at the CC site, they haven't got much on there agenda at the mo, so they could a ready and a waiting.

If a RRO was the way forward, then it could mean the end of the restricted numbers policy (some say :D , others say :cry: ), but it may still leave us being controlled by district councils, and does anyone believe that has been a success?

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:34 pm 

Well I'm not visiting the Competition Commission website everyday Alex, but I'll take your word for it that they haven't got much on just now!!

Maybe it's the time of year though, don't the Civil Service take August and September off :D

Dusty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:37 am 

Alex wrote:
So will it be primary legislation, a quick cut Regulatory Reform Order (RRO) or a referral to the Competition Commission (CC)?

We can't have a reg reform order up here because we need our own legislation.

I don't know how the Executive up here will react if the OFt recommend deregulation, because they totally ignored it in the consultation last year.

How they managed to sweep it under the carpet I don't know but I hope the OFT put them in there place :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:10 am 

If I remember correctly, haven't you got your own sort of report out soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:02 pm 

Do you mean the report on the scottish executive consultation?

I think they must have dumped that until after the oft's report.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:04 pm 

All I can say is that it's a miracle that I've finally spoken to someone from Scotland, who actually knows it exists, :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:08 pm 

As far as I know what generally happens up here is that the Scottish Taxi Federation is left to represent the trade and the top bods know what's going on, but the vast majority don't, and just leave the few at the top to deal with things.

I even know local asses who had never heard of the consultation, even after it closed, or if they did know about it, just left it to the STF, and were totally ignorant as to its content.

CC

Post subject: OFT Investigation
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:34 am 
I would just like to confirm that you are quite correct that the enquiry includes the whole of the UK market; I have an email from the OFT in response to that very question.
I sent them an email on the 6 September 2002 and will type out their response for the benefit of anyone who has difficulty comprehending the issues.
(I have also posted this on the fastblack website as I am also puzzled that no one ever mentioned this in Scotland, could be the old head in the sand syndrome!!! but I had it from the horses mouth that it WILL apply to the WHOLE of the UK) :shock: :shock:

Dear mr Bloggs
Thank you for your enquiry of the 6 September 2002.
In your email you ask two questions. I will deal with them each in turn.

1. I can confirm for you that the OFT Taxis market study will encompass the whole of the UK market, as was included in the press release issued by the office.

2. You ask about the devolved administrations, in particular The Scottish Executive and the demarcation of legislation between these authorities and central government. I would like to clarify that although the Scottish Executive has devolved powers over licensing regulations in Scotland, Whitehall still has the ability to enact primary Legislation that will cover all regions of the UK.
Therefore if an outcome of the OFT's Taxi study is to recommend regulatory changes, they would be for the whole of the UK.

Yours faithfully
Mr bloggs
Markets and Policy Initiatives Division

Anyway hope that will be of help to anyone that’s interested

also good luck with the site :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:06 pm 
Thanks for that stuart1, very interesting.

The problem seems to be that since taxi licensing is devolved and the OFT is London based then a lot of people think that the study, while it may cover the whole of the UK, has more legal relevance in England than in Scotland. However, it seems that competition matters are not a devolved matter, and that the OFT is Scotland's 'competition watchdog' as well as for the rest of the UK.

I think the statement you posted is technically correct, but that would entail a renegotiation of the devolution settlement, which would obviously be difficult politically.

I think that in practice what will happen is that if the OFT recommend changes then they will be for the whole UK, but the UK Govt will decide whether to accept them for England and Wales, and the Scottish Executive will decide if they will accept them for Scotland.

At least that's what happened with the pharmacies investigation. Of course, as per the OFT's statement above, the UK Parliament could in theory legislate for the whole UK, but that would amount to taxi licensing in Scotland reverting from a devloved to a reserved matter.

[Most of this posted on Fastblacks as well]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:48 am 

Alex wrote:
If you take a look at the CC site, they haven't got much on there agenda at the mo, so they could a ready and a waiting.

Alex

Yes, looking at the website, the don't have much on just now, and will have even less than the end of the month, when the Extended Warranties and a milk market merger study are complete. That would just leave a couple of low-profile merger investigations.

All the other big investigations are with the DTI at the moment, including Safeway and Granada/Carlton.

So I think they need a big, juicy investigation such as the taxi market.

Or maybe not!!!!!

Dusty :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:06 am 

One of my old school friends works at the CC. When I suggested to her that she should have nothing on at the moment, she threatened to slap my face.

However, there is a lot more to this story, but my duty of confidentiality precludes my dissemination of the information provided.

Questions of the CC looking into it, were simply brushed aside. Which, in my cynically suspicious mind, leads me to think the CC is the next step for the report.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:28 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Alex wrote:

Alex

Yes, looking at the website, the don't have much on just now, and will have even less than the end of the month, when the Extended Warranties and a milk market merger study are complete. That would just leave a couple of low-profile merger investigations.

All the other big investigations are with the DTI at the moment, including Safeway and Granada/Carlton.

So I think they need a big, juicy investigation such as the taxi market.

Or maybe not!!!!!

Dusty :?

Dusty, would you reccomend a top planning solicitor deals with ones divorce?

this study is undertaken by the policy unit, quite different from normal comptition issues, with differing issues involved, sorry bud but the clearing of the decks elsewhere will not help nor hinder this report.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:34 am 
Andy wrote:
One of my old school friends works at the CC. When I suggested to her that she should have nothing on at the moment, she threatened to slap my face.

However, there is a lot more to this story, but my duty of confidentiality precludes my dissemination of the information provided.

Questions of the CC looking into it, were simply brushed aside. Which, in my cynically suspicious mind, leads me to think the CC is the next step for the report.

common man dont be shy!
this as you said will go on and on, you know that I know that, from one desk to another, they have made a balls up, and the Tand G are worried about car jobs in the Midlands, tony needs thier cash for elections.

they need to deliver, but have not on anything else! they are stuck.

if you cannot comment on inside info tell me whether my postings on this are right , or wrong!

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:45 pm 
So if the OFT reccomend that no changes should be made to protect service to the public you will seek changes from the Competition Comission?

Are you trying to, or are you willing to wreck the whole trade to satisfy your own self interests.

Everyone is mentioning all the acts, commissions and organisations that they believe will see them have the same "rights" as the Hackney Carriages without mentioning the Disability Discrimination Act which WILL insist that ALL vehicles are accessible to disabled passengers eventually.

Is the grass greener .......... I don't think so.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:06 pm 

The only people who can refer to the Competition Commission is the OFT.

Is the grass greener, well I will tell you when I see it.