Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:04 am
Posts: 725
Location: Essex, England
Er, one of the problems, is knowing who I am. I gather from Andy, that I am other Andy (as per Dundee site), so that means you are Andy too. But, are you Brighton Andy? Nope. Thats Andy with the Skoda Superb. So, it must be me then. Right, now thats sorted:

I don't have a secret source at the OFT, just an old schoolfriend who works there. In a way, she is a secret source, as although she is not secret, she won't, or can't or simply does not know enough to tell me anything of ultra-significant substance.

As for buying a new motor at Sandown, don't hold yer breath for a delivery date fer chrisakes. I ordered mine at Donny, and by the date it arrived 1st September, they hadn't done the conversion and I ended up with a nice new Vito F**** van!

Likewise, I shouldn't hold my breath for the TGWU to do much either.

And, I wouldn't hold my breath for the OFT report mate. I reckon its off to the Competition Commission next. Then, to Parliament for inclusion in some distant future Bill. Then, three readings in The Commons, Three readings in The Lords, not to mention the committee time and all those ammendments debates, and then to the Department of Transport for them to set a date for a statutory instrument and enforcement. Hmmmm. I reckon, if you want to conform to the new regulations, order a Merc from Jubillee. But, order the Intergalactic Cab with instant improbability drive and perpetual bullsh*t spouting robodriver. You should get delivery just about the same time as the OFT report is released, say, hmmm, halfway through the next millenium?

_________________
There is Significant Unmet Demand for my Opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Andy wrote:
Er, one of the problems, is knowing who I am. I gather from Andy, that I am other Andy (as per Dundee site), so that means you are Andy too. But, are you Brighton Andy? Nope. Thats Andy with the Skoda Superb. So, it must be me then. Right, now thats sorted:



At least Superb Andy isn't on here to cause further confusion!!

If he knows about the site he probably saw our Brighton story and ran a mile!

Dusty :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 42921
Location: 1066 Country
He would be more than welcome, if for no other reason than my blood pressure is too low at the mo, and needs rising. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:34 pm 
This investigation. I work in a 99% taxi council. Do you think it will affect me and how if you do.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
I suspect that at the end of the day there will be more nationally set standards and perhaps even fares set at a regional level.

Whether these will just be administered by the existing LAs or maybe a new body headed by a taxi tsar, who knows?

But if you are nearly 100% taxi then I suspect it's not difficult to put a car on or get a badge in your manor Ian (like mine), so to that extent the bar could end up being higher in your neck of the woods.



Dusty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:02 am 
The OFT report is due out at the end of this month.

The Government then have 90 days to publish their response.

Consequently, if Ministers were to decide to reform this law in some way as a result of their considerations or through accepting OFT recommendations, it would inevitably be some years before a change could be implemented. In the meantime,
the status quo would prevail, ie councils which restrict the issue of taxi licences would be expected to carry out unmet demand surveys in accordance with existing, and still current, laws.


B. Lucky :twisted:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:53 am 
Mick wrote:
The OFT report is due out at the end of this month.

The Government then have 90 days to publish their response.

Consequently, if Ministers were to decide to reform this law in some way as a result of their considerations or through accepting OFT recommendations, it would inevitably be some years before a change could be implemented. In the meantime,
the status quo would prevail, ie councils which restrict the issue of taxi licences would be expected to carry out unmet demand surveys in accordance with existing, and still current, laws.


B. Lucky :twisted:



:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Mick wrote:
The OFT report is due out at the end of this month.

The Government then have 90 days to publish their response.



Unless they refer the market to the Competition Commission :?

Dusty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:58 pm 
Mick wrote:
The OFT report is due out at the end of this month.

The Government then have 90 days to publish their response.

Consequently, if Ministers were to decide to reform this law in some way as a result of their considerations or through accepting OFT recommendations, it would inevitably be some years before a change could be implemented. In the meantime,
the status quo would prevail, ie councils which restrict the issue of taxi licences would be expected to carry out unmet demand surveys in accordance with existing, and still current, laws.


B. Lucky :twisted:



caution, it was actualy due at the end of last month,
as for giving the government 90 days to respond, they gave thier response 2 years ago!

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 42921
Location: 1066 Country
Mick wrote:
the status quo would prevail, ie councils which restrict the issue of taxi licences would be expected to carry out unmet demand surveys in accordance with existing, and still current, laws.
B. Lucky :twisted:


So in the meantime they would be expected to carry out expensive 'pointless bureaucracy'.

I don't think so, and for that matter neither will the 'best value' officer, nor the District Auditor.

If it doesn't go to the CC, then 'good practice' guidance will be forth coming from the DOT, and that wont include 'pointless bureaucracy'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:04 am
Posts: 725
Location: Essex, England
Or, the Government could respond within 90 days, that is is going to pass the matter to committee.

_________________
There is Significant Unmet Demand for my Opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 42921
Location: 1066 Country
Well as long as they let me chair it, that's fine. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:48 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
Mick wrote:
the status quo would prevail, ie councils which restrict the issue of taxi licences would be expected to carry out unmet demand surveys in accordance with existing, and still current, laws.


If it doesn't go to the CC, then 'good practice' guidance will be forth coming from the DOT, and that wont include 'pointless bureaucracy'.


My quote above was from an e-mail recieved from the Department of Transport.

B. Lucky

P.s Nidge has seen the full correspondance, why do you think so many smiley faces


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:07 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:
Mick wrote:
the status quo would prevail, ie councils which restrict the issue of taxi licences would be expected to carry out unmet demand surveys in accordance with existing, and still current, laws.


If it doesn't go to the CC, then 'good practice' guidance will be forth coming from the DOT, and that wont include 'pointless bureaucracy'.


My quote above was from an e-mail recieved from the Department of Transport.

B. Lucky

P.s Nidge has seen the full correspondance, why do you think so many smiley faces



aLL i CAN SAY IS THERE IS NOTHING IN THE ACT OR GUIDANCE THAT A LOCAL AUTHORITY MUST CARRY OUT SURVEYS

merely that if there is a challenge it is for authorities to proove demand is met, however it goes on to say "they should not rely on the assersion of taxi drivers, they only see the demand they meet"

Taxi drivers are a unique bread of untrusted animals, who no longer allowed to sit on government bodies, everytime they are bribed they think it is a tip.

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:28 am 
Does it not provide an obligation for a council that undertakes a survey for un-met demand to continue to undertake such surveys at regular intervals.

What I mean is that if council changes local legislation becuase of an un-met demand surveys results does it not need to continue to undertake surveys in order to justify the legislatory change, ie if a survey was to find an extra 19 plates were required over the next three years would it not be required to undertake another survey after those three years to assess any further requirements.

Or does the councils right to take no action justify having surveys when they want them and not when the trade demand them.

B. Lucky :twisted:


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group