Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:05 pm 
I know about damascus, does it kill all known germs dead? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:32 pm 
So the OFT suggests that ALL licenced vehicles for hire become Public Hire which takes the form of existing Hackney Carriages. What benefit will the public see from this change?


Or are members of this group not bothered about the punter?


B. Lucky :twisted:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:44 pm 
Mick Pollard wrote:
So the OFT suggests that ALL licenced vehicles for hire become Public Hire which takes the form of existing Hackney Carriages. What benefit will the public see from this change?


Or are members of this group not bothered about the punter?


B. Lucky :twisted:



gawd Mick you are not very strong on strategic issues!

are you saying that private hire codes actuall are a benefit to the consumer?

Mick, I have rarely seen you refer to the consumer and when you have its to support some theory that somehow the service would be better if they did without this addition or that improvement!

one code will be an absolute boon to the consumer!

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 42904
Location: 1066 Country
Mick Pollard wrote:
So the OFT suggests that ALL licensed vehicles for hire become Public Hire which takes the form of existing Hackney Carriages. What benefit will the public see from this change?


I doubt the OFT will suggest that, but they might.

I would have thought a more likely solution would be to end the restricted numbers policy.

Then those who wish to work and drive PH, will beable too, and those that wish to work and drive HC, will also be able too. Provided that they meet the council's criteria for driver and vehicle standards.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:37 pm 
I think we've been here before. The arguments are not one of numbers but one of premiums.

The number of H/C plates should be restricted, all plates should only be issued to drivers and should be returned to the council when the driver no longer wishes to use them, for re-allocation.

The problem is that the majority of H/C owner drivers have paid a premium for the licence they hold and the minority are abusers, or leeches as you like to call them.

But lets not spend a moment to consider the bloke who paid a premium to obtain a plate to pay using a 5 year personal loan, who will see himself and his wife and children thrown out of their home when they cannot afford the loan repayments due to the fact that someone didn't want to do as he did in an attempt to improve his families lifestyle, because they want everything for nothing without consideration for others.

Funnily these are normally the same people that believe charity begins at home, its a sad state of affairs.

B. Lucky :twisted:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Anonymous wrote:


Will any soppy censoring and thought control be operating on this site?

Claude :evil:


No thought control Maurice, but plenty of 'soppy censoring', since some of us are of a nervous disposition, and anyway the kids might be reading.

Dusty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Mick Pollard wrote:

But lets not spend a moment to consider the bloke who paid a premium to obtain a plate to pay using a 5 year personal loan, who will see himself and his wife and children thrown out of their home when they cannot afford the loan repayments due to the fact that someone didn't want to do as he did in an attempt to improve his families lifestyle, because they want everything for nothing without consideration for others.



I agree that is a problem, but people who bought plates should know there is always a risk, especially with a lot of de-limitations over the past few years.

I agree though that a lot of people effectively bought plates under false pretences - the guys who know the score bail out, and the guys who buy them don't really know what they're getting into.

This has worsened in the last couple of years - who would buy a plate after the Govt's de-limitation clause 1.147c was published. Well, no one, unless they are just speculating, in which case we shouldn't be sympathetic, but of course a lot of guys buy plates and haven't a clue about 1.147c or OFT etc.

Plate transfers should have been carrying a 'health warning', and by the time de-limitation occured the boys who bought a plate would have probably recouped most of their money, and no one would be buying them.

Dusty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:27 am 
Mick Pollard wrote:
I think we've been here before. The arguments are not one of numbers but one of premiums.

The number of H/C plates should be restricted, all plates should only be issued to drivers and should be returned to the council when the driver no longer wishes to use them, for re-allocation.

The problem is that the majority of H/C owner drivers have paid a premium for the licence they hold and the minority are abusers, or leeches as you like to call them.

But lets not spend a moment to consider the bloke who paid a premium to obtain a plate to pay using a 5 year personal loan, who will see himself and his wife and children thrown out of their home when they cannot afford the loan repayments due to the fact that someone didn't want to do as he did in an attempt to improve his families lifestyle, because they want everything for nothing without consideration for others.

Funnily these are normally the same people that believe charity begins at home, its a sad state of affairs.

B. Lucky :twisted:



Mick,

first of all charity does begin at home all to often it ends there.

people who get 5 year loans are very foolish in so doing, buying any buisness is a gambol, spare a thought for the man who spends on a corner shop to find asda and tesco opening.

it realy is something that should be thought through thouraly, but who in the end pays that premium isnt it the customer gauranteed by the driver?

its often said there is no sentiment in buisness, those ranks are owned by joe public and fred citisen so why should thier use be sold after all initial allocation is free.

but premiums are bad news for consumers, they pay higher prices, suffer less service, there are better barriers than this I have never been to a limited area yet where the consumer wins

and remember this nowhere in any act does it say that taxis must be owned by drivers!

yes we have had these arguments and everytime sound principles of fairness are brushed aside.

its good union stuff to think of the downtrodden except your Union leeder says your arguments are wrong and misguided, so they are.

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:09 am 
Wharfie wrote:
who is saul? :oops:

Wharfie


The name "Saul" would very likely bring out strong emotions in you. Dislike and fear would have been quite normal. He traveled far and wide to have men and women arrested. Saul was present, and gave his approval to the gruesome stoning death of Stephen, considered to be the first Christian martyr. Then one day, while Saul was on one of his journeys of persecution, as he was nearing Damascus, he suddenly found himself surrounded by a very bright light. He fell to the ground and heard a voice from the heavens say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?"
The voice was of Jesus Christ Himself. The incredible conversation that followed brought Paul to the realization of his error.
Saul, the man most Christians of the time may have considered to be somewhat of a monster, had reached his day of conversion - in no uncertain terms! He was literally knocked down on the road to Damascus and directly called by God. He thereafter became known as Paul.

Claude :evil:


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Saul
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:13 am 
Amen to that, I am suddenly feeling born again!!!!!!


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Saul
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:04 pm 
stuart1 wrote:
Amen to that, I am suddenly feeling born again!!!!!!


So has Sussex Man. From list bete noir to a lists paragon of virtue surely a Damascus Road miracle. Amen indeed.

Claude :evil:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Thanks for the bible lesson Maurice, does this mean that you're about to become converted yourself??

I won't hold my breath.

Dusty :|


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:32 pm 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Thanks for the bible lesson Maurice, does this mean that you're about to become converted yourself??

I won't hold my breath.

Dusty :|



Dusty,
that sounds terrible! are you in a mood today?

Wharfie


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:47 pm 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Thanks for the bible lesson Maurice, does this mean that you're about to become converted yourself??

I won't hold my breath.

Dusty :|


No I can't be doing with all that Saint business. More of a Saul character. I just keep indoors so as not to travel the road when the weather gets stormy. That's also why I don't play golf HE won't catch me out! I know the story.

Claude :evil:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Wharfie wrote:

Dusty,
that sounds terrible! are you in a mood today?

Wharfie


Not me Geoff, but you and Maurice are in a minority of two about certain things, and we'll just leave it at that at the moment.

Dusty


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group