Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Myth and reality
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:20 am 
Read the article here:

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/reality.htm

Post your views below!

Post subject: Re: Myth and reality
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:47 am 

Taxi Driver Online wrote:
Read the article here:

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/reality.htm
Post your views below!

The report is an intelligent alternative view to the debate now facing us, however it is spoilt in my view by studying effects in differing jurisdictions.

I feel a scottish report, an english report and an American report would have been better.

figures to are suspect for instance on driving licenses it is crude and does not attempt to measure fall out from the trade.

owners of premiums will generaly loath this report,

well done on the study, I like the report.

are you going to give the Tand G a copy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:26 am 

Goodness me PB, I can't believe you have read it already. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject: Re: Myth and reality
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:15 am 

PaddingtonBill wrote:
are you going to give the Tand G a copy?

I hope a copy gets through to the hierarchy of the T&G.

I also hope that they come on TDO, to point out where they think the report is wrong. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:57 am 
I've just downloaded this report, printed out all 70 pages and I am now reading it. I must admit I'm very impressed with the amount of work undertaken, anyone who can write a thirty two thousand word report deserves the highest praise.

I'm up to page seven and I have looked at the table stipulating Taxi Numbers. If I may be so bold as to offer a slight correction with regard to Manchester, The exact figure at present of Hackney carriage vehicles licences is 834 and the H/C drivers licence holders stand at approx 1721, that figure contains a discrepency margin of no more than 50. The Driver vehicle Ratio would then calculate at 2.06. I don't know if you want to amend this before it gets to late.

Best wishes

JohnDavies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:59 am 
Thanks John - it would be updated but it's probably best not to since a lot of people who might be interested in the paper will have seen it by now, and to that extent it's probably best not to have different versions of it floating round, but as you say the figures are not materially different and work in favour of the point being made, so to that extent we can't be accused of manipulating the statistics to favour our argument.

Footnote 6 does say that most of the numbes are taken from the last DfT stats and to that extent they are at least consistent.

A lot of the figures used are clearly estimates anyway (Glasgow as well, for example), but I doubt if it materially affects the point. If the DfT and Scottish Exec can publish them then to that extent we should treat them as materially accurate.

Likewise with driver turnover - the stats may exaggerate slightly the number of drivers actually working, but probably not materially.

It depend on the practice of each LA - some issue badges at a fixed date, so the figure may include drivers who have left the trade, but some issue badges on a rolling basis, so to that extent the numbers will show a reasonably true picture.

We would have like to have gotten more up to date info obviously, but we didn't have time for that, or the paper might not have been out before the Govt's announcement, and to that extend it would have looked a bit ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:16 pm 
Taxi Driver Online wrote:
Thanks John - it would be updated but it's probably best not to since a lot of people who might be interested in the paper will have seen it by now, and to that extent it's probably best not to have different versions of it floating round, but as you say the figures are not materially different and work in favour of the point being made, so to that extent we can't be accused of manipulating the statistics to favour our argument.

I fully understand.

So far from what i've read It is an excellent report. I really am very impressed. I'm sure others who read it from a pure factual standpoint will take the same view. I'll give my comprehensive opinion after I've finished reading it.

Best wishes

John Davies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:36 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
Goodness me PB, I can't believe you have read it already. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Let me tell you how its done!
some proffesions though not solicitors need to give a response or write a response within an hour, for delivery

you read the contents holding a note pad and scribble the immidiate response, things of concern items where they get bogged down, are largely skipped

within half an hour a judgement has to be made, on the tone for/aggainst, critical.

this report was easy it was basic english and did not need a dictionary, some do!
you also need to make a judgement on whether it is all things to all men, or its fudge, again this was down a clear line, whoever wrote it couldnt give a bugger about diplomacy, and that I do not criticise.

By the way I do write speaches and give doccument responses to the leadership of a political party, and this doccument and speach has been passed on.

Though I doubt that it will be used, unfortunatly the issue is just not burning enough

Paddington Bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:40 pm 

But what about it contents? :?

Is it wrong, or is it right? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:36 pm 
Whilst a lot of effort has obviously gone into the report, it is sadly just as flawed as both the OFT and Select Committee reports.
Firstly, it is pointless to say it was prepared by "working drivers." Are they taxi or private hire drivers? Are they owner/ operators? What are THEIR vested interests?
The use of phrases like "IF this....... then it is likely that...something else......" and the varying interpretations put on statistics make it just another speculative opinion.
If anything, all it confirms is that it is impossible to look at the issue of quantity restriction on a national basis.
On pages 16/17 "Too many taxis/not enough drivers," I find it particularly alarming, as conclusions are drawn about Edinburgh yet it is obvious that the writers have absolutely no local knowledge. Their selective use of quotes does them no credit, particularly the one from Jim Taylor of Cabforce who is in fact a driver NOT a plate holder - so why would he support a "plate cartel?"
So all in all, a well written but "damp squib."

Edinburgh Cabbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:55 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
But what about it contents? :?

Is it wrong, or is it right? :?

Well I have said its broadly ok its an alternative view it stacks up,
its a good easy read.

bet though it raises blood temprature in Brighton?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:57 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:

some proffesions though not solicitors need to give a response or write a response within an hour, for delivery

you read the contents holding a note pad and scribble the immidiate response, things of concern items where they get bogged down, are largely skipped

within half an hour a judgement has to be made, on the tone for/aggainst, critical.

I would never give a qualified statement on a report until I had read every dot and comma. I supose one can make qualified statements on those parts of the report that have been read but one cannot give an accurate apraisal of the said report until reading it fully.

I am up to page 51 of this report, so far it has been excellent in exposing the facts that so many others wish to exstinguish. The Author of this report has every right to feel proud of his or their acomplishments. I've read and indeed written many reports myself in the past and I know what is involved in researching and writing such a long intense factual report such as this one. It really puts to shame all the trade reports that have been published over the last few weeks.

I have probably read every trade report in recent weeks apertaining to this issue and I can honestly say that none achieve the high standards of this report I am reading today.

I also happen to know that it has had an excellent response in some Government circles and deservedly so.

I cannot speak for others but for me the report is first class.

Best wishes

John Davies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:59 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Whilst a lot of effort has obviously gone into the report, it is sadly just as flawed as both the OFT and Select Committee reports.
Firstly, it is pointless to say it was prepared by "working drivers." Are they taxi or private hire drivers? Are they owner/ operators? What are THEIR vested interests?
The use of phrases like "IF this....... then it is likely that...something else......" and the varying interpretations put on statistics make it just another speculative opinion.
If anything, all it confirms is that it is impossible to look at the issue of quantity restriction on a national basis.
On pages 16/17 "Too many taxis/not enough drivers," I find it particularly alarming, as conclusions are drawn about Edinburgh yet it is obvious that the writers have absolutely no local knowledge. Their selective use of quotes does them no credit, particularly the one from Jim Taylor of Cabforce who is in fact a driver NOT a plate holder - so why would he support a "plate cartel?"
So all in all, a well written but "damp squib."

Edinburgh Cabbie

You see Sussex,
here you are being lambasted for not knowing edinburgh, yet we had a debate with a leading light up there who said enough cabs, not enough drivers.

just as flawed as oft and standing committee?

well some of us thinkers saw none of these opposing views as being flawed!

we need an Angels response?

when he trashes it you will know its right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:03 pm 
John Davies wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:

I would never give a qualified statement on a report until I had read every dot and comma. I supose one can make qualified statements on those parts of the report that have been read but one cannot give an accurate apraisal of the said report until reading it fully.

I am up to page 51 of this report, so far it has been excellent in exposing the facts that so many others wish to exstinguish. The Author of this report has every right to feel proud of his or their acomplishments. I've read and indeed written many reports myself in the past and I know what is involved in researching and writing such a long intense factual report such as this one. It really puts to shame all the trade reports that have been published over the last few weeks.

I have probably read every trade report in recent weeks apertaining to this issue and I can honestly say that none achieve the high standards of this report I am reading today.

I also happen to know that it has had an excellent response in some Government circles and deservedly so.

Best wishes

John Davies.

John dont bullshit them too much

its good, but read every dot and t?
you are an adviser to a politician the press are braying at the door and you need to set the tone, the meering is in one hour.

its ok you criticising in fact realy you could take till christmas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:17 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
John Davies wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:

Best wishes

John Davies.

John dont bullshit them too much

its good, but read every dot and t?
you are an adviser to a politician the press are braying at the door and you need to set the tone, the meering is in one hour.

its ok you criticising in fact realy you could take till christmas!

lol I fully understand your point Bill. I was taking the opposite view, that in order to be "completely accurate" one had to read the full report. I took it that your position is, reading certain paragraghs in a report will give you a good understanding of its contents.

An understanding it may well give you, but what it wont give you is a complete command of the facts. When addressing select committees and official bodies they don't want a good understanding, they require a good comprehension of the facts.

Best wishes

John Davies.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next