Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:37 pm 

Taxi drivers in zone change call

Taxi drivers on Wearside claim they are being penalised because they are not allowed to pick fares up in Sunderland.

Currently, hackney carriage drivers from Washington, Hetton-le-Hole and Houghton-le-Spring are limited to picking up in towns. They say they want to work in Sunderland City Centre at some periods.

Sunderland City Council says its hands are tied on the issue at the moment but a review of taxi licences is being carried out.

Cab driver Mick Buckingham said: "Basically it's a rule by the Sunderland taxi licensing committee - any hackney carriages operating in the area of Washington, Houghton-le-Spring or Hetton are not allowed to pick up fares in Sunderland. Seeing as how everyone is licensed by the City of Sunderland Council anyway and all pay the same licence fee it seems just a daft rule."

He said the explanation they had been given was that if that was not enforced, the outlying areas would not be covered by enough taxis. But he said at the times the drivers were pushing for to work in Sunderland - 2300 GMT to 0500 GMT Thursday to Sunday - there was not enough work in the outer areas.

Sunderland Trading Standards and Licensing Manager Tom Terrett said: "The law wouldn't allow them to become, for example, a part-time hackney carriage in the Sunderland zone - it simply isn't set up like that."

He said their surveys showed that queues in Sunderland were not excessive and they believed they had achieved a balance between that and not having traffic problems caused by too many vehicles waiting.

He said they had been told the Government would be issuing draft guidance in the next year which might include zones for hackney carriages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:54 pm 
We had zones for a couple of years down here.
I couldn't believe how we got away wityh it.
The Brighton operators said it was because the Hove boys werent up for a fight.
I said they were mugged by the council.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:09 pm 

its a local issue,

people tend to forget why zones are set up, to guarantee taxis in certain areas.

i wouldnt say if zones were right or wrong, but it is fairly certain when someone is granted a plate for a certain zone, he should only expect to work that zone, why else bother getting the license

regards

captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:12 am 
Cgull wrote:
We had zones for a couple of years down here.
I couldn't believe how we got away wityh it.
The Brighton operators said it was because the Hove boys werent up for a fight.
I said they were mugged by the council.

It was part of the integration of the two towns becoming one city. It allowed the progression of the various licensing requirments to become unifide i.e livery, age limits etc. There was no question of not wanting a fight.. strange how some people think.
Scanner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:17 am 
............. and the integration period allowed each respective licensed vehicle (Brighton licensed & Hove licensed) to pick up in each others area. The only restriction was sitting on a rank. Although if the rank was free of vehicles anyone could pick up a customer who was waiting there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:56 am 
There is no doubt that if Sunderland allowed the request the outer areas would have no taxis.

Round here we have zones, and we are constantly requested to pick up in Halifax, mainly beccause Halifax drivers often dont know where they are going.

I hope the drivers in the Sunderland outer areas get thier wish............they will rue the day they let thier tame areas go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:07 am 

If an area needs to zone vehicles, then surely that is evidence of demand that isn't being met.

Therefore they shouldn't restrict numbers. :shock:

As for the Brighton and Hove split, that was a farce. It caused more moaning, more in-fighting, more racing back to the ranks, and gave the Brighton chaps enough time to sew up Brighton station. Thus keeping the Hove chaps out. :?

If you don't believe me, just ask the lads who run Brighton station. They couldn't believe their luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:46 pm 
Sussex wrote:
If an area needs to zone vehicles, then surely that is evidence of demand that isn't being met.

Got to disagree im afraid :shock:

Some areas aint as clear cut as others.

You may have one large town and two small towns in a licensing district, its fairly obvious without zoning in these areas the hackney fleet will basically work the busiest area, its human nature. But it leaves the two small towns without taxis, therefore zoning is necessary.

The answer to delimit numbers so that the two small towns will get taxis does not take into account the mind of the cab driver, who will on most occasions wish to work the busier area.

Zoning is necessary in certain areas.

But its localised and as each area is different, needs judged on its own merits.

Regards

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:47 pm 
Sussex wrote:

Got to disagree im afraid :shock:

Some areas aint as clear cut as others.

You may have one large town and two small towns in a licensing district, its fairly obvious without zoning in these areas the hackney fleet will basically work the busiest area, its human nature. But it leaves the two small towns without taxis, therefore zoning is necessary.

The answer to delimit numbers so that the two small towns will get taxis does not take into account the mind of the cab driver, who will on most occasions wish to work the busier area.

Zoning is necessary in certain areas.

But its localised and as each area is different, needs judged on its own merits.

Regards

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:29 pm 
Sussex wrote:

As for the Brighton and Hove split, that was a farce. It caused more moaning, more in-fighting, more racing back to the ranks, and gave the Brighton chaps enough time to sew up Brighton station. Thus keeping the Hove chaps out. :?

If you don't believe me, just ask the lads who run Brighton station. They couldn't believe their luck.

Well it worked Sussex.. and it had to be done like that. I was Hove licensed and considered it better to have a transition period.

You shouldn't let your hatred of the Brighton & Hove taxi trade cloud every posting that mentions the town. :wink:

As far as racing back to the ranks.. unfortunately it happens now.. and was recently mentioned at a trade meeting and a news letter issued. The trouble is that there are so many cabs now trying to make a living that the unwritten rules of yesteryear have long been forgotten. There was one rule about allowing an oncoming taxi having priority when trying to turn onto a rank... doesnt happen now... ( does with me though)

But then I suppose that is what competion does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:12 pm 
Sussex wrote:

no Sussex it does not, for a start no council can create zones see castlepoint, they are historical.

every single case of dezoning has put all taxis to the centre.

you could put on a million taxis in Sunderland, they would not perculate out.

as I have said be4 you dont understand taxis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:17 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Well it worked Sussex.. and it had to be done like that. I was Hove licensed and considered it better to have a transition period.

You shouldn't let your hatred of the Brighton & Hove taxi trade cloud every posting that mentions the town. :wink:

As far as racing back to the ranks.. unfortunately it happens now.. and was recently mentioned at a trade meeting and a news letter issued. The trouble is that there are so many cabs now trying to make a living that the unwritten rules of yesteryear have long been forgotten. There was one rule about allowing an oncoming taxi having priority when trying to turn onto a rank... doesnt happen now... ( does with me though)

But then I suppose that is what competion does.

what a laugh!

you dont know the effects of competition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:30 pm 
Anonymous wrote:

As as Brighton cabby I was over the moon when they delayed Hove coming in.
But there where big complaints that so and so was going back to his zone via the other zones ranks. It was so unbelivably childish.
The LO hated it. But they where scared of the Brighton trade as much AS the Hove lads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:32 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
The trouble is that there are so many cabs now trying to make a living that the unwritten rules of yesteryear have long been forgotten.

Well i dont do to bad. And I have never met a taxi driver who has given back his plate to the council becusea he cant earn. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:38 pm 
Cgull wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
The trouble is that there are so many cabs now trying to make a living that the unwritten rules of yesteryear have long been forgotten.

Well i dont do to bad. And I have never met a taxi driver who has given back his plate to the council becusea he cant earn. :roll:

What a stupid comment that has no bearing on the posting :lol: :lol: :lol: