Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:26 pm 

I am looking to enter the trade however only interested in hackney carriage. I have several questions which I hope can be answered and they are as follows= how often is a cab hailed per hour say both day time and night time, what is the average cost of the fare carried,how much is the insurance for a lt11, how much do the lt 11 cost to service

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:35 pm 
In an 8 hour shift I've done around three jobs at worst and around 50 at best.

I can assure you that the average is somewhere inbetween.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:13 pm 

It all depends on where you work, and the time of day.

If you really want to get the full SP, then go to the busiest rank in your manor and ask three of the lads.

You might even get near the truth that way.

As for the TXs price etc, too much is my view. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:38 am 
cab happy wrote:
I am looking to enter the trade however only interested in hackney carriage. I have several questions which I hope can be answered and they are as follows= how often is a cab hailed per hour say both day time and night time, what is the average cost of the fare carried,how much is the insurance for a lt11, how much do the lt 11 cost to service

cab happy,
every so often we have a message like yours pretty meaningless!
I can show you drivers that do thier shifts and make a packet, and I can show you drivers who are lazy and destitute.

it all depends doesnt it on one or two factors, Sussex says go down the rank and ask the drivers, well thats where the failures sit watching the grass growing around thier tyres.

many succesful drivers never go on a rank, thats where overprovision goes! and you dont want to be part of overprovision?

when I bought my first taxi I got a number of cards and labeled them one for each day then put in chronical order the places where the people are, the train times, times bingo come out, times of catholic church services, times I observed the off license was busy, shift endings of local factories,
times the national bus comes in, tesco and asda closing times, weekly events from the paper.

what I found after a month was other taxi drivers would follow me, this annoyed me until it dawned on me, if they follow I am always at the front of the que!

sometimes I would give my number if I couldnt do the job there were plenty of others I could send!

the thing is this you can be out in front or you can join the sheep, but the shhep are always at the back of the que.

I often give my mates a wave and call at the rank at the end of the shift for a chat, though these days thats the signal for my mates to go home, for they know I have taken the punters home.

price of a tx2? too much.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:40 am 

thanks for your insight however i do not feel the quetion is not meaningless as the lt2 is a very expensive beast and without having some insight into how much money is turned over per wk/month/annum then i would be in the [edited by admin], as here in nottingham the council will insist all new new drivers have a brand new lt2. would you have any insight as to what a driver would turn over per annum working say 50hrs per week doing a mixture of day and night work chasing the busy periods in the city of nottingham

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:51 pm 
cab happy wrote:
thanks for your insight however i do not feel the quetion is not meaningless as the lt2 is a very expensive beast and without having some insight into how much money is turned over per wk/month/annum then i would be in the [edited by admin], as here in nottingham the council will insist all new new drivers have a brand new lt2. would you have any insight as to what a driver would turn over per annum working say 50hrs per week doing a mixture of day and night work chasing the busy periods in the city of nottingham

yes I would but it doesnt go on me it goes on you, first of all, will your lifestyle sustain 50 hours per week?

be a jockey on someone elses car first see how you do and if you are suited

work only one year, and keep hourly reccords per day times of day, you will know very soon if you will make it.

Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:03 pm 
I should give it a go as a jockey for a few months. Then you will find what the busy times are and if its worth it.
Of course you could always earn a bit more by driving a PH. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:42 pm 

Cgull wrote:
Of course you could always earn a bit more by driving a PH. :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:02 pm 

cab happy wrote:
how often is a cab hailed per hour say both day time and night time,

About half the number of times that a PH is hailed. :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:17 am 
cab happy wrote:

Not very often, on a weekend night you are lucky to get hailed twice round here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:46 pm 

must be allott in folkkestone because after 130 on fridays and saturday nights i have 20 cars out but they wont call me for work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:56 am 
cab controller wrote:
must be allott in folkkestone because after 130 on fridays and saturday nights i have 20 cars out but they wont call me for work

in that case why not go home?

I would

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:41 am 

But would you pay your operator is he/she did?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:25 am 

i cant go home because at 025. the drivers decide to call me for work when i have bookings to give out

i CANT GO HOME THE OFFICE HAS TO BE MANED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:28 pm 
Same old thing when its mobbed the drivers pick and choose if they want radio work. Then when its quiet they have a maon up because there is no radio work.
Work as an operator, not on your nellie.