All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Unmet demand?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:46 pm 
Read the article here:

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/unmet.htm

Discuss the issues below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:03 am 
did you read in the press about the Labour Party meeting unions about general election funding?

bank holidays not to be part of holiday entitlement and the like?

its a bit fuzzy to say the least, but after the general election things will be much clearer :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:00 pm 

I think we have a case of the Minister telling MPs what they want to hear, and officials telling anyone what they want to hear.

But I wait with high anticipation the first legal challenge to a refusal, when the council concerned is going to have to justify high plate prices and give evidence (latent demand) that customers really want fewer cabs.

I can see, and hear, the judge [edited by admin] himself laughing already. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:07 am 
Sussex wrote:
But I wait with high anticipation the first legal challenge to a refusal, when the council concerned is going to have to justify high plate prices and give evidence (latent demand) that customers really want fewer cabs.

But what if that legal challenge comes for a saloon plate, in an area where unlimited WAVs are allowed but saloon numbers remain restricted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:08 am 
Sussex wrote:
I think we have a case of the Minister telling MPs what they want to hear, and officials telling anyone what they want to hear.

I think its more a case of you thinking what the Minister and Officials have said instead of listening to what they actually said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:34 am 
Who writes this drivel.

What on earth is this website doing, why are you citing these self opinionated stories as legitimate news items.

Why doesn't the self opinionated know it all, just write his (or her) opinions within the forum section of the site, instead of adopting a holier than thou attitude toward the other contributers of the site.

After all we have no idea who this person is :shock: he (or she) could be absolutely anyone, indeed someone in no way connected to the trade :-o .

I just can't believe that, after being involved with this type of site myself, we still have people who try to dictate opinion, like the Yorkshire Spoon, and consistantly berate those of us who have actually whitnessed the nightmare his dreams will lead to.

The contradictions, and constant failure to take into account points proven to contradict some peoples arguments are astounding.

Still, like other sites before this one arguments and hatred become the main part of the site and the genuine drivers and members can't be bothered with that.

I believe that it is un-named news items such as this one, which alienate a massive section of the potential membership that will lead to this sites downfall.

Why not rename the site, WE DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW WHO WE ARE BUT YOU SHOULD DO EXACTLY WHAT WE SAY AND START BY HATING A UNION FIGHTING HARD FOR DRIVERS RIGHTS.COM

you ar$eholes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:31 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Sussex wrote:

But what if that legal challenge comes for a saloon plate, in an area where unlimited WAVs are allowed but saloon numbers remain restricted.

its happened it happens every day put in an application and appeal it dont ask us, do it man

then I will be [edited by admin] myself as well as the judge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:40 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Who writes this drivel.

What on earth is this website doing, why are you citing these self opinionated stories as legitimate news items.

Why doesn't the self opinionated know it all, just write his (or her) opinions within the forum section of the site, instead of adopting a holier than thou attitude toward the other contributers of the site.

After all we have no idea who this person is :shock: he (or she) could be absolutely anyone, indeed someone in no way connected to the trade :-o .

I just can't believe that, after being involved with this type of site myself, we still have people who try to dictate opinion, like the Yorkshire Spoon, and consistantly berate those of us who have actually whitnessed the nightmare his dreams will lead to.

The contradictions, and constant failure to take into account points proven to contradict some peoples arguments are astounding.

Still, like other sites before this one arguments and hatred become the main part of the site and the genuine drivers and members can't be bothered with that.

I believe that it is un-named news items such as this one, which alienate a massive section of the potential membership that will lead to this sites downfall.

Why not rename the site, WE DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW WHO WE ARE BUT YOU SHOULD DO EXACTLY WHAT WE SAY AND START BY HATING A UNION FIGHTING HARD FOR DRIVERS RIGHTS.COM

you ar$eholes

we dont hate the union mick, or I dont just some of the self interested barrons running them.

your campaign for salloons is disgusting self interest when you know whats around the corner.

when youve painted yourself in the corner like you always do, and the salloons have to come off by government dictact you will have sold down the river your drivers, and the many disabled people not in wheelchair for your self interest, by refusing to listen to alternatives and berating them dangerous.

you are capable of representing no one but yourself.

and ill ram that point down your throat I am saving these e-mails they will come whizzing back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:04 am 
Anonymous wrote:

I think the courts will just make all taxis WAV. If the council or the government don't do it first. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:10 am 
Anonymous wrote:

If the union concerned had any sense, then more people would support it. But it doesn't, and they don't.

A union that supports the bosses (plate-holders) against the workers (non plate-holders) is sadly morally bankrupt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:11 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Who writes this drivel.

you ar$eholes

Oh dear.

Every so often someone explodes and writes this sort of stuff, and the usual charachteristics are present here:

Abuse - if you can't make an argument, start throwing abuse around.

Double standards - anonymity is criticised, yet the person leaves no name!!! The opinion columns in everything from The Times to Cab Trade News are unattributed, yet this is not good enough for little 'ol TDO!! As for the attributed stuff in CTN, who cares who Frank Hull (say) is? Not us. We stick to the arguments, not the personalities.

By the way, the reason for the anonymity is to prevent the trade bully boys turning up on our day, it does happen you know!!

Then there's the usual allusion to perhaps having nothing to do with the trade. So it's OK to be an office bound ex-bus driver or bar room lawyer who knows nothing about the trade but who writes in CTN, but it's not OK on here. Anyway, you're wrong, and if you knew the trade properly then you'd probably be able to work out that those writing on TDO are drivers, it's usually pretty obvious who's not.

Then there's the view that opinions shouldn't be on the frontpage, again what's OK for every other publication is not on here. The piece is even marked opinion for those who can't work it out. At least we do have some proper news stories, which you won't find at all in CTN. The should perhaps rename it Cab Trade Opinion, but of course the T&G are good at misleading people!!!

Again, everyone has been invited in the past to have an opinion featured on the frontpage, but they've in the main chosen not to do so, so come on, don't start bleating now!!

These double standards are of course not surprising given the double standards in their core argument (presumably, since they don't proffer any argument!!) - ie their do as I say, not as I do attitude to being able to operate a vehicle.

No attempt to address the arguments - probably because they're incapable of doing so. The truth hursts, doesn't it?

A misunderstanding of the site's aims - you say that these opinions will alienate potential readers, but in case you haven't worked it out yet, the aim of the site is not to win popularity contests, but to get our own view across (like CTN does their's) and tell the truth about the trade. Your point about this perhaps leading to the sites demise is a bizarre one - I can't really see the connection. You seem to think that the site was set up to maximise readership or make money or suchlike, but that's not the case, otherwise we'd spout a different message.

It's also worth noting that several other sites set up to kow tow to the vested interests have gone under, so that's not the deciding factor either.

If the site is taken down, then it's more likely because it's a bit galling to spend money on allowing the likes of yourself to vent your spleen and having to spend time replying to your tantrum.

As for the 'know it all' and 'self-opinionated' jibes, again this is double standards from those who thinks that others shouldn't have an opinion, and indeed demonstrates their arrogance and shows that THEY are the self-opinionated know it alls, but if the poster is who several of us think it is then we knew that already!!!

Apologies to anyone who's seen all this before, but these people always try the same tired old tactics now and again.

Of course, the tantrum and the complete absence of any substantive argument are perhaps a compliment to the article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:41 pm 

TDO wrote:
Of course, the tantrum and the complete absence of any substantive argument are perhaps a compliment to the article.

A compliment of the highest order. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:00 am 
well I aggree with what dusty TDO says, the reason for the anger and abuse is he couldnt write the news because he was so busy trying to get every contributor to write e-mails to his liking.

Failures at running forums, running taxis, and running rep bodies are poor vessels to get advice from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:45 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
your campaign for salloons is disgusting self interest when you know whats around the corner.

I'm not campaining for saloons MY COUNCIL ARE.

I want restrictions on both licence types in order to protect the trade from the SINGLE TIER MY COUNCIL WANT.

I don't want the council to adopt a policy where they will be open to legal challenge YET AGAIN, by maintaining their restrictive policy with regard the saloon plates, I believe they will see their policy legally challenged and am not convinced they will even properly defend it.

Yet again posts are responded to without being read properly, hatred overtakes and the personal attacks are mounted.

People call me upside down some even call me a failure without any knowledge of my current position. If having a nice 525 TDS next to the wifes new Micra on the drive, with my new bike in the garage, an extention to my house starting next year, 2 holidays paid for over the next 9 months and a new business set to make a nice tidy profit in the first year, is considered to be a failure then so be it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:29 pm 
TDO wrote:
As for the 'know it all' and 'self-opinionated' jibes, again this is double standards from those who thinks that others shouldn't have an opinion, and indeed demonstrates their arrogance and shows that THEY are the self-opinionated know it alls, but if the poster is who several of us think it is then we knew that already!!!

I ask no-one to agree with my opinion, the problem is that people don't argue over opinion they argue over personalities.

The simple fact of the matter is that people see a free plate and think it will be the answer to their prayers, even though it will financially cripple a number of people already involved in the industry. Some people don't give them any consideration at all, and that is why I believe the whole industry is completely [edited by admin].

I also take exeption to being refered to as a "know it all" when on countless occasions I have confessed to not knowing it all and being in a position where I learn something new every day. The only person who "contibutes" to this site who has little to say about anything but me, the Yorkshire Spoon, is the ONLY person who teaches me nothing.

The whole top and bottom is that we'll just get on with whatever is easiest, soon no-one will want to speak out when their opinion is in the minority and will look for a like minded group to moan to about how everyone else has got it easy while they have it so hard.

An argument that paying £30k for a plate is robbery but paying £30k for a vehicle is acceptable shows the lack of anything other than envy, remember restrictions are on vehicles not on the number of drivers.