Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:26 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
dont set yourself up as a safety expert, all your other expertise has been regected.

So if anyone comments on any issue or voices any concerns they are "setting themsleves up as an expert".

I have the right, as everyone does to voice their opinions on here, I don't think your apparent calls for opinion censorship are conducive to good debate. I have offered my opinion on a vehicle type which people disagree with, however they offer no real counter argument or any answers to my concerns.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:29 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
our local authority has bought 4 wavs. all backloading by tail lift, all to be plated as taxis.

What make and model WAVs?
Who will drive them and what are the financial arrangements?
Will they work the ranks?
Which Council?

Your answer raises more questions than it answers.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:35 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
The thing is there are some who think that all taxis should be TXs. Usaually those that gain advertising revenue from LTI. :sad:

What does that mean, who recieves advertising revenue from LTI?
I'll tell you who..........every single trade publication. Your argument therefore suggests that every single trade publication thinks that all taxis should be LTI models.

What a load of nonsence, there are many vehicles specifically built or professionally converted, which meet the standards which we all should be looking to increase rather than decrease. Within another thread people are complaining about the quality of build on vehicles yet at the same time complain about the cost of such vehicles, the saying "pay peanuts get monkeys" springs to mind.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:40 pm 
Sussex wrote:
But we are only talking here about loading, I thought your problem was customer safety during transit. In that case then all hospital and social service work that doesn't use a TX must be un-safe.

The loading and unloading are only part of my concerns Sussex, many times I have said that many vehicles are produced to standard yet you focus on a single model to increase the "shock factor" of your argument. If I was arguing that ONLY the LTI and Metrocab models should be used then you could rightly quote me as you do, unfortunatly for your argument I am not.

B. Lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:10 pm 
You pays your money,you takes your choice.
Thank god in this day and age we can still do this.
Wavs.
This one is better,that one is better,we need choices.
My choice for a single shifted Wav,is the Fiat Forward.
Ok back loading,but so what,we cannot go through life saying that if someone shunts from the rear,then a problem getting the wheelchair passenger out.You can give various if and buts to any vehicle if in a bump.
Why single shifted,because I think this vehicle is too soft to be double shifted.
TX2,not my vehicle and nothing to do with the price,just that I have noticed only smaller type wheelchair can be conveyed properly in this vehicle.Other pushed into the vehicle and therefore riding side ways.
Insurance null and void?.
E7,like them good room,sliding doors crap!.
Metrocab,they were good,but quality crap!.
So on so on ect.

At the end of the day there must be a choice of vehicles.

Boffin Thoughtful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:48 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
dont set yourself up as a safety expert, all your other expertise has been regected.

So if anyone comments on any issue or voices any concerns they are "setting themsleves up as an expert".

I have the right, as everyone does to voice their opinions on here, I don't think your apparent calls for opinion censorship are conducive to good debate. I have offered my opinion on a vehicle type which people disagree with, however they offer no real counter argument or any answers to my concerns.

B. Lucky

to have an opinion you are under duty to know the facts

those from you are sadly lacking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:52 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
our local authority has bought 4 wavs. all backloading by tail lift, all to be plated as taxis.

What make and model WAVs?
Who will drive them and what are the financial arrangements?
Will they work the ranks?
Which Council?

Your answer raises more questions than it answers.

B. Lucky

1 renault master medium wheelbase.
2 employed drivers paid holiday pay etc
3 no definatly not.
4 Kirklees Council, Calderdale Council and WYPTE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:54 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
The thing is there are some who think that all taxis should be TXs. Usaually those that gain advertising revenue from LTI. :sad:

What does that mean, who recieves advertising revenue from LTI?
I'll tell you who..........every single trade publication. Your argument therefore suggests that every single trade publication thinks that all taxis should be LTI models.

What a load of nonsence, there are many vehicles specifically built or professionally converted, which meet the standards which we all should be looking to increase rather than decrease. Within another thread people are complaining about the quality of build on vehicles yet at the same time complain about the cost of such vehicles, the saying "pay peanuts get monkeys" springs to mind.

B. Lucky

THE COMMENT IS TRUE,

and your union is just one publisher, as is mine

its sickening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:50 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
I don't think so, your interpretation of what the government has said is evident as you still quote "following the OFT report" when quite clearly the OFT delivered nothing what so ever, governments still maintain that councils decide number policies a policy they had before the OFT investigation.

What are you on about?

Any reference to after the OFT report is clearly meant to refer either to the proper positioning of an event in the chronological sequence and/or any implications of the OFT's recommendations.

IE, merely common sense - you seem to be reading something into the phrase which nobody else seems to see - who has ever claimed that the OFT had (or could) make anything other than a recommendation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:05 pm 
TDO wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:
I don't think so, your interpretation of what the government has said is evident as you still quote "following the OFT report" when quite clearly the OFT delivered nothing what so ever, governments still maintain that councils decide number policies a policy they had before the OFT investigation.

What are you on about?

Any reference to after the OFT report is clearly meant to refer either to the proper positioning of an event in the chronological sequence and/or any implications of the OFT's recommendations.

IE, merely common sense - you seem to be reading something into the phrase which nobody else seems to see - who has ever claimed that the OFT had (or could) make anything other than a recommendation?

TDO,
its self evident to most of us what oft is and what they do and what powers they have.

however we do have on here experts that are not the brightest bulbs in the box, and a rename of this section is overdue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:09 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
You jump onto phrases like "must justify a restrictive policy" when all the council has to do is to state that their policy is, they believe, in the best interest of the people of the borough.

Sadly you don't seem to have gotten much beyond the T&G's infamous "OFT ko'd" headline, which once Kavanagh had actually read (and understood?) the Govt's statement, he backtracked on somewhat in the next issue.

The Government's Action Plan isn't just for decoration, as you seem to think it is, and has clearly had concrete implications in several areas, and will no doubt do in others in the months to come.

Don't forget that the Govt "strongly recommended" that LAs delimit, and also said that restricted numbers were wrong "in principle", and it might have therefore been expected that some LAs would act on this viewpoint.

For LAs that decide to maintain restricted numbers there are clearly other tangible hurdles that they might have hitherto not have to bother with, such as surveys costing tens of thousands of pounds, and these are not just a request from Govt, but must be carried out to discharge an LA's existing legal authorities.

Then there's the Govt's threat of furhter action if insufficient progress has been made towards de-limitation in the three years.

This is just spelling out what you should know alread, and what the rest of the trade press (except for the T&G initially) have known for months - the situation isn't as straightforward as you seem to think.

It must be you that Dave Millward was referring to when he said is his latest Taxi Talk column: "...you people sit back in cloud cuckoo land seemingly victorious".

And these people are supposed to be on your side!!

Oh, and don't forget, it was Gateshead council who said that they wouldn't restrict taxi numbers because the advice from Govt was not to.

So, you see, things have changed post-OFT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:13 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
therefore policy should reflect the publics interest, not the interest of any PH driver or Operator.

Nor the interests of self-serving taxi plate holders in restricted areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:18 pm 
TDO wrote:
Instead, why not try to address a couple of the substantive points made in the article? Whatever side of the argument you are on, surely you would admit that there is a lot of confusion and contradiction in various statements being made.

No takers then, even the person who described the article as 'drivel'?

The purpose of the article was to how the uncertainty surrounding the de-limitation issue was becoming apparently even more confusing because of apparently contradictory statements on the issue.

But if you can't say anything sensible on the issue then I can't see the point in saying anything at all.