Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:58 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
The above aside, were the local association members of a National Body or Union?

I don't think a judge would be the least bit interested as to whether they were or not, when arriving at his decision!

The local association were always shovelling sand uphill & getting wet pi**ing in the wind on this one.

I'm wondering about the advice....and if someone else is paying

From what I have read on this story, they would probably not listened to any advice, wherever it came from.

They all seemed like a bunch of bigots.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:01 pm 

MR T wrote:
I suppose the question is now.. what will happen when the three- areas become one.... will they all derestrict.... and where is the busiest place... will they all head for that.

Out of the three areas two are now derestricted. The other derestricted area does not have a WAV policy either so that will be interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:04 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
The above aside, were the local association members of a National Body or Union?

I don't think a judge would be the least bit interested as to whether they were or not, when arriving at his decision!

The local association were always shovelling sand uphill & getting wet pi**ing in the wind on this one.

I'm wondering about the advice....and if someone else is paying

From what I have read on this story, they would probably not listened to any advice, wherever it came from.

They all seemed like a bunch of bigots.
I don't quite understand how you come to the conclusion that they are Bigots. they came to an agreement with the council to have a survey, and abide by that survey, if more plates were needed they would be granted....( managed growth)... somebody within the council decided to move the goalposts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:05 pm 

JDBubbles wrote:
MR T wrote:
I suppose the question is now.. what will happen when the three- areas become one.... will they all derestrict.... and where is the busiest place... will they all head for that.

Out of the three areas two are now derestricted. The other derestricted area does not have a WAV policBut were well everybody end up workingy either so that will be interesting.
But were will everybody end up working

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:09 pm 

It will be interesting to see if Ellesmere Port Derestricts.... I wonder if.. the Chester lads will go down the road of the European courts regarding the decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:12 pm 

I believe a presentation to the Councillors of the combined council's is planned shortly... union presented :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:32 am 

MR T wrote:
I don't think the woman would have been stupid enough to speak to you.

And even more stupid not to take my advice? Right? lol

What's that saying "about fools and their money"?

It's all academic now but everything I ever said about this issue is on the record as being proven correct. On the other hand the advice given to these applicants by whoever it was who advised them proved to be incorrect.

God knows who filled these guys heads with the wild expectations that they had a viable case, never mind the fact that they had a chance of being victorious but whoever it was it certainly proved to be costly advice?

I find it amusing that an appeal to the European court has reared its expensive head? No doubt this is more sound advice coming from those that originally advised these guys that they had a chance of winning a judicial review? I think anyone advocating a European approach has a complete misunderstanding of how the court system works and in particular how the European court system works? Perhaps those who have mentioned the European court can explain the legal procedure to us philistines who are somewhat mystified how a failed application for a judicial review can go directly to the European court without first exhausting the legal procedure in this country? Then again I suppose that might be a pointless request considering all we are likely to get is a bucketful of waffle leading to an admission that they haven't a clue about the procedural nature of the legal process. However, making wild clueless statements might seem appealing to those making them if they assume that those reading them are as far removed from reality as themselves?

I see references to an agreement whereby Chester council agreed to have a survey and abide by its findings but as per usual talk is cheap especially when there is no foundation for such statements.

If anyone and I do mean anyone, can show me evidence that Chester council have ever said or put into writing that they will have a survey in 2007/2008 and "abide by its findings" then I will be eternally grateful.

What is a matter of record is the fact that Chester council decided to once again reconsider its restricted policy and consult with the public of Chester on the issue of hackney carriage supply. The judge in this case rightly came to the conclusion that taxi drivers had no legitimate expectation of a survey considering there was none given by the council and even if there was the council had given no undertaking that they would be bound by the findings of a survey.

I suppose the end result is what you get when you take advice from those including solicitors who are somewhat lacking in the expertise of taxi licensing law.

This matter is now history but you only have to return to the first few posts of this tread to read how the "outcome" was expertly articulated.

Chester taxi drivers had an open invitation to take advantage of the knowledge of those who contribute to this website, they chose to disregard that invitation and in effect closed their minds to reality. That was their prerogative but perhaps someone can remind them that the words, "the chance of obtaining a judicial review was REMOTE", were first uttered on TDO, by me.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:55 am 

bulldogdrummond wrote:
According to the radio the Association have to pay costs (I'm guessing the councils) of £10,000 :shock: , on top of what they paid the barrister (a figure of more than £10k has been said for that). Whoooops!!

I understand the figure of "ten grand" for the councils costs is accurate. Add to that their own costs and you are looking at an overal figure of perhaps twenty grand depending on the work involved?

A costly exercise which could have been averted if they had taken sound advice. Some people have a habit of ignoring reality and I can assure you that as long as desperation is a factor this won't be the last failed reality check.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:35 pm 

Greedy solicitors?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:15 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Greedy solicitors?

Fed by silly people. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:58 pm 

JD wrote:
MR T wrote:
I don't think the woman would have been stupid enough to speak to you.

And even more stupid not to take my advice? Right? lol

What's that saying "about fools and their money"?

It's all academic now but everything I ever said about this issue is on the record as being proven correct. On the other hand the advice given to these applicants by whoever it was who advised them proved to be incorrect.

God knows who filled these guys heads with the wild expectations that they had a viable case, never mind the fact that they had a chance of being victorious but whoever it was it certainly proved to be costly advice?

I find it amusing that an appeal to the European court has reared its expensive head? No doubt this is more sound advice coming from those that originally advised these guys that they had a chance of winning a judicial review? I think anyone advocating a European approach has a complete misunderstanding of how the court system works and in particular how the European court system works? Perhaps those who have mentioned the European court can explain the legal procedure to us philistines who are somewhat mystified how a failed application for a judicial review can go directly to the European court without first exhausting the legal procedure in this country? Then again I suppose that might be a pointless request considering all we are likely to get is a bucketful of waffle leading to an admission that they haven't a clue about the procedural nature of the legal process. However, making wild clueless statements might seem appealing to those making them if they assume that those reading them are as far removed from reality as themselves?

I see references to an agreement whereby Chester council agreed to have a survey and abide by its findings but as per usual talk is cheap especially when there is no foundation for such statements.

If anyone and I do mean anyone, can show me evidence that Chester council have ever said or put into writing that they will have a survey in 2007/2008 and "abide by its findings" then I will be eternally grateful.

What is a matter of record is the fact that Chester council decided to once again reconsider its restricted policy and consult with the public of Chester on the issue of hackney carriage supply. The judge in this case rightly came to the conclusion that taxi drivers had no legitimate expectation of a survey considering there was none given by the council and even if there was the council had given no undertaking that they would be bound by the findings of a survey.

I suppose the end result is what you get when you take advice from those including solicitors who are somewhat lacking in the expertise of taxi licensing law.

This matter is now history but you only have to return to the first few posts of this tread to read how the "outcome" was expertly articulated.

Chester taxi drivers had an open invitation to take advantage of the knowledge of those who contribute to this website, they chose to disregard that invitation and in effect closed their minds to reality. That was their prerogative but perhaps someone can remind them that the words, "the chance of obtaining a judicial review was REMOTE", were first uttered on TDO, by me.

Regards

JD
The only person mentioning the European courts is myself, and I only said it to stop Skippy saying it, I can't disagree with a lot of your post, trade representatives are very naive when dealing with councils.. that is where the business mind has the edge, I don't think for one minute that this will be the last money wasted on courts, but I can assure you of one thing the courts will never see a penny of mine, but this case, and a few others will serve a greater purpose in the years to come, as examples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:07 pm 

Quote:
I only said it to stop Skippy saying it

There's a first time for everything :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:13 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

CC
well when I wrote the words( European courts )I was definitely thinking of Skippy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 pm 

MR T wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Quote:

CC
well when I wrote the words( European courts )I was definitely thinking of Skippy.

Strange, I get images of kangeroos and kilts :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:37 pm 

captain cab wrote:
MR T wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Quote:

CC

Strange, I get images of kangaroos and kilts :lol:

CC

A kilt is better than a tank top and trousers at half mast :lol: :D I have even corrected Kangaroos for you :lol: :D
Just checked back and I never mentioned Europe once????????????????
keep taking the tablets MRT :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next