Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:38 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
captain cab wrote:
MR T wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Quote:
I only said it to stop Skippy saying it

There's a first time for everything :lol:

CC
well when I wrote the words( European courts )I was definitely thinking of Skippy.

Strange, I get images of kangaroos and kilts :lol:

CC

A kilt is better than a tank top and trousers at half mast :lol: :D I have even corrected Kangaroos for you :lol: :D
Just checked back and I never mentioned Europe once????????????????
keep taking the tablets MRT :lol: :lol:

I'm going to need to set my watch by you :lol:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
captain cab wrote:
MR T wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Quote:
I only said it to stop Skippy saying it

There's a first time for everything :lol:

CC
well when I wrote the words( European courts )I was definitely thinking of Skippy.

Strange, I get images of kangaroos and kilts :lol:

CC

A kilt is better than a tank top and trousers at half mast :lol: :D I have even corrected Kangaroos for you :lol: :D
Just checked back and I never mentioned Europe once????????????????
keep taking the tablets MRT :lol: :lol:
I know you never mentioned it... I said I was beating you to it.. and I did

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:55 pm 

Chester Taxi Drivers Fail To Overturn Council Ruling

23rd September 2008

Taxi drivers have been left with a hefty bill of at least £10,000 after a High Court bid to overturn a council decision failed yesterday.

Black cab drivers from Chester Licensed Hackney Association (CLHA) took legal action against Chester City Council after a decision was made earlier this year to allow an unlimited number of cabs onto the streets.

The decision, agreed unanimously by ruling Conservative councillors at an executive meeting in July, meant the current restriction of 77 black cab licences was lifted.

This left drivers from CLHA fearing for their livelihoods because any number of drivers can apply to drive a black cab in Chester.

Angry drivers argued the decision was wrong and the council should have carried out an unmet demand survey, funded fully by the drivers, to see if there is a need for more black cabs on the streets.

But after pursuing legal action at London's High Court with the help of barrister Richard Clayton QC, the cab drivers have been left defeated.

Judge Gary Hickinbottom dismissed the case and ordered that £10,000 be paid up front to Chester City Council, with more to be paid after a final assessment of the legal costs incurred has been made.

During the hearing Mr Clayton argued it was wrong for the council to make the decision without a survey, particularly given that previous city council administrations had recognised the value of such research.

He asked that the judge grant permission for a two-day hearing during which he would argue for a reversal of the decision and an order that it be re-considered with the benefit of a survey.

But the council argued that the decision had never been about meeting demand, but about the "desirability for an open market" and having more cabs on the street late at night.

This morning CLHA chairman, Richard Barker, said: "For whatever reason he (the judge) decided there wasn't a case. We were a bit shocked.

"The council's legal team asked for £25,000 but £10,000 was agreed as an interim payment but we will have to pay more."

Mr Barker said CHLA members would meet tonight to discuss the possibility of appealing against the decision.

He said: "The hard part was that in law they don't have to have a survey but our argument was that surely when we're promised one, we should be able to do one."

Speaking of life after the unrestricted ruling was introduced, Mr Barker said: "We have had six new plates and there are still no more cabs on a Friday and Saturday."

The judge will give reasons for rejecting the association's judicial review challenge later today.

The council declined to comment.

Source; Chester Evening Leader

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:24 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
He said: "The hard part was that in law they don't have to have a survey but our argument was that surely when we're promised one, we should be able to do one."

The hard facts are that even if you won this decision the council would still have delimited after another consultation period, and even if a survey had happened they all offer the choice of delimitation as an option.

The hard facts are that once the council had made their decision there was never any chance of a rethink.

As I said, I can well understand why the trade appealed, but it was a simple case of throwing money away and funding solicitor/barrister holidays. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:48 pm 

Surely the point was reasonable expectation?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:02 pm 

AND SO, CHESTER CITY COUNCIL FINNALY GOT IT'S WAY AND THE VINDICTIVE CHIEF LICENSING OFFICER MUST BE VERY HAPPY. IT IS NOW A FREE FOR ALL IN CHESTER ON HACKNEY PLATES.
IT AMUSES ME THAT ONE OF THE BIGGEST ADVOCATES OF DE-RETRICTING, A REGULAR CONTRIBUTER TO THESE PAGES,J D BUBBLES, STATED, AND I QUOTE , ''AFTER 11 YRS OF PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE, I AM SICK OF LINING OTHER PEOPLES POCKETS AND FEEL IT'S ABOUT TIME WE WERE DE-RETRICTED SO I CAN EARN MONEY FOR MYSELF. I FEEL THAT I COULD OFFER A BETTER SERVICE TO THE PUBLIC AND WOULD NOT BE HELD TO RANSOM BY GREEDY PH OPERATORS'' ( AUGUST 09th 2006).
HOW STRANGE THEN THAT JD BUBBLES NOW WORKS FOR THE SAME PH OPERATOR HE CALLS ''GREEDY ''. COULD IT BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FACT HE NOW ONLY PAYS A HALF SEETLE ( £ 45 ) ? OR COULD IT BE THE FACT THAT HIS UNCLE IS THE WEEKEND OPERATOR ? OR COULD IT BE THAT HIS BROTHER IS ''OPERATIONS MANAGER'' AT THE AFOREMENTIONED PH FIRM ?
I'LL LEAVE IT UPTO YOURSELVES TO DECIDE........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:34 pm 

dalton-doubter wrote:
AND SO, CHESTER CITY COUNCIL FINNALY GOT IT'S WAY AND THE VINDICTIVE CHIEF LICENSING OFFICER MUST BE VERY HAPPY. IT IS NOW A FREE FOR ALL IN CHESTER ON HACKNEY PLATES.
IT AMUSES ME THAT ONE OF THE BIGGEST ADVOCATES OF DE-RETRICTING, A REGULAR CONTRIBUTER TO THESE PAGES,J D BUBBLES, STATED, AND I QUOTE , ''AFTER 11 YRS OF PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE, I AM SICK OF LINING OTHER PEOPLES POCKETS AND FEEL IT'S ABOUT TIME WE WERE DE-RETRICTED SO I CAN EARN MONEY FOR MYSELF. I FEEL THAT I COULD OFFER A BETTER SERVICE TO THE PUBLIC AND WOULD NOT BE HELD TO RANSOM BY GREEDY PH OPERATORS'' ( AUGUST 09th 2006).
HOW STRANGE THEN THAT JD BUBBLES NOW WORKS FOR THE SAME PH OPERATOR HE CALLS ''GREEDY ''. COULD IT BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FACT HE NOW ONLY PAYS A HALF SEETLE ( £ 45 ) ? OR COULD IT BE THE FACT THAT HIS UNCLE IS THE WEEKEND OPERATOR ? OR COULD IT BE THAT HIS BROTHER IS ''OPERATIONS MANAGER'' AT THE AFOREMENTIONED PH FIRM ?

Removing numbers in chester was not brought about by Mr bubbles.

I suppose none of us know what beef you have with bubbles and neither do we care but the blame for deregulation of numbers in chester lays firmly at the door of coucncillors.

No doubt you are aware of the term "councilors know best", after all, it was the taxi trade who put those words in this Governments head.

Are you saying the taxi trade was wrong?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:39 pm 

JD wrote:

No doubt you are aware of the term "councilors know best", after all, it was the taxi trade who put those words in this Governments head.

Regards

JD

JD old chap, I know its getting cold and your grey matter needs regular heat, but that isnt correct.

The trade stated, Locals are best placed to decide.

regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:45 pm 

captain cab wrote:
JD wrote:

Regards

JD

JD old chap, I know its getting cold and your grey matter needs regular heat, but that isnt correct.

The trade stated, Locals are best placed to decide.

regards

CC

I wasn't aware locals had been granted the power to determine taxi licensing policy? When was power transfered because it seems to have passed me by?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:49 pm 

JD wrote:

I wasn't aware locals had been granted the power to determine taxi licensing policy? When was power transfered because it seems to have passed me by?

Regards

JD

Your right you know, but the statement remains the same; Locals are best placed to decide.

Regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:10 pm 

captain cab wrote:
JD wrote:

Regards

JD

Your right you know, but the statement remains the same; Locals are best placed to decide.

Regards

CC

Perhaps all councills should by law be made to ask their local community in a referendum every two years whether they want to restrict taxi numbers? Is that what you mean by locals being "best placed to decide"?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:13 pm 

JD wrote:
Perhaps all councills should by law be made to ask their local community in a referendum every two years whether they want to restrict taxi numbers? Is that what you mean by locals being "best placed to decide"?

I would give that a go. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:28 pm 

JD wrote:

Regards

JD

Thats a mighty fine idea, but it isnt what I meant :wink:

regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:34 pm 

dalton-doubter wrote:

Now theres a few myths dispelled

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:38 pm 

If a driver is offered half radio rent, then they would be rather daft to say no.

Maybe a few more folks that have received free plates should also receive half dues if their cabs are kept on a circuit. :roll: :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next