Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:02 pm 

Quote:
HMRC will spare no one

when someone magically appears in the system they WILL go back as far as they wish,forget all the bla bla about only going back X number of years,they can go back as far as they want
they cross check with everyone from your bank to the passport office and everyone in between,including all LA,s
when they hit GTL they were merciless
guys hit with 35k bills were not uncommon
anything else is just wishful thinking
they will take no prisoners

Maybe, but to be honest I'm not convinced.

There will be a number, possibly a large number, of new registrants, and HMRC are rubbish at dealing with a lot of extra work.

Only time will tell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:26 pm 

Inclined to agree with both Sussex and Jozef.

I mean, an 800 strong HC circuit like Glasgow Taxis Limited (and with probably twice that in terms of badge numbers) is bound to have some people who have something to hide from HMRC.

But to a degree these things have always been pot luck, and they won't investigate absolutely everyone all of the time. So it's targetted, based on rescources and risk etc.

After all, if a few at GTL were assessed for £35k in back payments, and there's the likes of the chap in Brighton, then obviously they'd been getting away with it for some time, so what's to say they couldn't have continued like that if HMRC hadn't decided to target them, as Sussex's pal might have done for years to come if they hadn't introduced this tax check.

But resources will always be limited, particularly now with SEISS fraud and the like to deal with, so it seems unlikely that HMRC will investigate each and every discrepancy thrown up by the new checks.

And I suspect the majority of basket cases simply won't reapply for a badge when they realise what's entailed, so will probably never come to HMRC's attention anyway.

That said, it'll definitely be a game-changer, but I suspect more in terms of the drivers with something big to hide disappearing, and new drivers to be less likely to be working 'on the side'.

Not sure it's the same everywhere, but from what I know of the trade here I'd guess it's drivers with other jobs and income who'll disappear. They've maybe gotten away with it because their main income is from a PAYE job, or another self-employment business, say.

But it won't be so easy for them now, and I suspect many will simply not take the risk.

Ditto dormant badges. Of course, there are lots of legitimately held badges which aren't worked, as Mr T says. But suspect they too will be more inclined not to renew, just in case HMRC comes calling, and is all over them like a rash 8-[

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:25 pm 

Don't know if I'm missing something, but can't believe it was January since the last post was made about this :-o

Anyway, forgot to post this, which appeared a few weeks ago. It's basically about extending the scheme to Scotland and Northern Ireland from 1 April 2023.

Don't know if there's anything particularly new here, so can't be bothered posting the whole lot, but here's the link and the opening paragraphs.

But, for drivers whose tax affairs are in order, this might be about the only bit of good news likely to happen in the next couple of years or so :-|

Policy paper
Extending tax checks to licences in Scotland and Northern Ireland

Published 20 July 2022

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rn-ireland

Who is likely to be affected

In Scotland: individuals, partnerships (including limited liability partnerships (LLPs)) and companies applying for licences to either drive taxis or private hire cars (PHCs), operate a booking office or similar or deal in scrap metal.

In Northern Ireland: individuals applying for licences to drive taxis.

The measure also affects licensing bodies in Scotland and Northern Ireland that administer those licence applications.

General description of the measure

The measure will introduce a check on tax registration (a “tax check”) for renewed applications in Scotland for licences to:

- drive taxis and private hire cars
    - operate a booking office
    - carry on the business of a metal dealer on a site
    - carry on business as an itinerant metal dealer

It will also introduce a check on tax registration (a “tax check”) for renewed applications in Northern Ireland to drive a taxi.

An applicant who wishes to renew a licence will need to carry out a tax check. The licensing body (a local authority in Scotland or the Driver and Vehicle Agency in Northern Ireland) will have to obtain confirmation from HMRC that the applicant has completed the check before being able to consider their renewed licence application.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:26 pm 

Quote:
But, for drivers whose tax affairs are in order, this might be about the only bit of good news likely to happen in the next couple of years or so

And for those drivers whose tax affairs are not in order, or in many many cases non-existant. Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:07 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
But, for drivers whose tax affairs are in order, this might be about the only bit of good news likely to happen in the next couple of years or so

And for those drivers whose tax affairs are not in order, or in many many cases non-existant. Image

I think it's also trying to target those who so love to throw old washing machines in the back of clapped out transit pickups, flog the scrap and then View Transit Pickup ownership as making them tax exempt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:50 pm 

have a look at Crystal Tax. or email them PAUL.BRISENDEN@CRYSTAL-TAX.COM, theyre helping out at the minute

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:50 pm 

Confirmation that the checks now apply to Scotland.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... r-scotland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:08 pm 

tax checks hopefully linked to benefit claims, HMRC handle lot of stuff now, VAT, tax, Working/Family tax credits, Universal credit are all interlinked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:30 pm 

Eventually coming to Northern Ireland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66984010